Want to build a custom bolt Action Carcano

My take on this is you would have to give up your desire of action type.

Now this is generic as I have not looked into the 6.5 Carano for what is specifically needed.

The lowest cost would be to go with a Savage action. You simply buy a Savage on sale (in the right action length) and then take its barrel off and put on a Carcano barrel.

If you are into doing it yourself its about $100 for the tools, if not a gun smith can do it at very low cost as there is no more work involved than take off the original barrel and putting on the new.

I did that with a 7.5 x 55 Swiss. In my case action length was snot a problem but the head of the case is not anything current. So I got a 270 and opened up the bolt face with a grinder.

Feed can be an issue but I just made mine a single shot by filling in the magazine well and it works just fine.

Remington can have that done but getting the original barrel off need more tools.

Someone like Shilen can be queries about that chambering, would have to sleuth for others but they are open to a request (they don't make one). Its just a chamber aspect and they do have a wide variety of 6.5 in the other old choices so its not all that wild.

Some barrel makes will go it if you supply the reamer.

Is there anyone out there who could rebore a .243 to 6.5? If there was such a smith, it would sure save a lot of money over buying an action and fitting a barrel to it. Going down that path would add $300 or so to the cost of a new rifle in .223/.243, IF there was someone who could/would do it.

Does anyone make a chamber reamer for 6.5 Carcano?

Is there anyone out there who could rebore a .243 to 6.5? If there was such a smith, it would sure save a lot of money over buying an action and fitting a barrel to it.
Just FYI, reboring a rifle barrel costs as much as a new barrel. It's a lot of work, and very few people do it anymore unless they want to preserve the original barrel for whatever reason.
Does anyone make a chamber reamer for 6.5 Carcano?
Sure, just about any of the reamer manufacturers.
The lowest cost would be to go with a Savage action. You simply buy a Savage on sale (in the right action length) and then take its barrel off and put on a Carcano barrel.
No, the lowest cost does not involve a Savage action. And it is a little more involved than just screwing in a new barrel.
I'm guessing the cheaper route would be to buy a .264 bore blank and then have someone cut the chamber for you.
Exactly.
All I can say is good luck if you choose to go down that road !!!
Luck has nothing to do with it.

You guys are trying to make this sound difficult. It's not! People chamber rounds with different head sizes all the time. 6.8 SPC, 22 or 6mm PPC, 22 WalDog, 6.5 Grendel, 376 Steyr, 378 Weatherby, etc. Did a 98 in 7.5X55 Swiss about 2 years ago, case head size in .490". Built a 6.5X54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer on a Rem 700, head size in .450". I do this stuff for a living, you guys just play with them. Trying to say it can't be done just annoys those of us who do it.

Last edited:
:D:D:DYa I tried one of those make overs, I ended up with a 6.3x282 I am still trying to fined die for it !!!

"...thanks again for Defending my wishes..." No sweat Sal. I can spend your money all day. snicker. Anyway, us big kids need our toys too. And that's exactly what a custom built hunting rifle is.
"...It's going to be a 6 month process..." Most likely to be much longer than that. Custom rifle building smithies are extremely busy guys. I'm seeing posts on assorted forums about custom built stuff taking up to 2 years.
"...The brass is hard to get and as already covered it takes an odd sized bullet..." It's neither really. There are lots of dies made to use .264" bullets. Lots of .264" bullets. And brass is readily available. Just isn't necessarily cheap. Midway wants $14.99 per 25 for Norma brass. $29.99 per 50 .268" cases(easily necked down to .264".) from Graf's.
"...The Carcano platform..." No Carcano platforms involved. We're spending Sal's money on a custom built hunting rifle chambered in 6.5 Carcano with a .264" bore.
"...rebore a .243 to 6.5..." That'd cost a fortune(probably a lot more than a BNIB barrel) and isn't necessary. 6.5mm barrels are easy to come by.

Thanks everyone for all your help and advise. At the very least I made a few friends and I’m on my way to possibly making what I want. All this help and I have other projects itching now that I never imagined before. Thanks for all the info and all your help!!!
Godbless

I’ll be posting a reloading question tonight as I’m have a issue and I’m a new reloader. Just need to finish my post and start a thread In the correct area.
Sal

Back