Want to build a custom bolt Action Carcano

Safaripolice

I understand I can can use many other 6.5 calibers and other rounds but I have a fascination with the carcano and love reloading it in my couple surplus. I've also hunted with my 91/41 and 91/38. I'm tired of carrying the older guns and i want to use a scope. I also want a modern looking bolt action in either Mauser or 700 or Winchester/browning action.

Does anyone know where I can get one built ornanynsuggestion on how to build one other then sporterize. I have no interests in sporterized Carcanos but instead a true custom barrel 6.5 carcano on a modern action with a modern stock.

Any help would be appreciated.

Godspeed
Sal

Just want to add that somewhere down my family tree we have a relative related to Salvatore Carcano so to be honest that is a very strong motivator as to why I want to build this. Sentimental reasons. Any help appreciated
Sal

You can buy actions at several places and barrel manufacturers are abundant.

Some custom actions are upwards of $1000-$1600.

Budget priced ones are all over.

Start with Pacific Tool and Gauge and go from there.

I might consider the Montana 1999 action, which is sort of a Mauser/Model 70 hybrid. If you are planning to do the work yourself, they are incredibly simple to barrel - just cut the threaded tenon. There is no counterbore, breech cone, extractor cut, etc.

The case head diameter is a little smaller than the typical .308/.30-06 family of cartridges. I don't know if they will work reliably or require bushing for proper function. I think Remington 700 bolts are easy if bushing is required (having done this before for 6.8 SPC based cartridges) but then there's the problem of the extractor which usually requires cutting the bolt for an M16/Sako extractor.

Assuming that you want a blind-magazine fed rifle, you may need to make some modifications and adjustments for proper feeding.

The bore diameter on 6.5 Carcano is a little different than a standard 6.5mm in use today. Looks like the specifications make it a difference of almost ,1mm (about .0035). It sounds to me like maybe the better option if you're reloading is to use a standard 6.5mm barrel blank and hand-load modern 6.5mm bullets? Definitely a specialty project either way. Your other option would be to try to look for a 6.5mm barrel blank that has a .266-.268 groove diameter for shooting original bullets in it. Maybe you could try to find a take-off original barrel that has enough meat left at the breech to cut off the chamber and re-machine to your rifle.

Once you have the barrel blank, you'll need a reamer and a set of headspace gages to machine the barrel to your rifle. If you're having a gunsmith do it, you're likely to have to pay for these because they're very non-standard calibers to have and it's not likely the gunsmith will be able to justify buying them.

Those are just the things that come to mind for me. If your nostalgia for the cartridge is worth justifying all this additional work and cost, it would be an interesting project to see completed. But not a cheap one - I believe it would be well into the thousands (with an "s") dollars range.

Just my opinion: The 6.5 Carcano cartridge is not much different than several others of that era and most likely considerably inferior to the proven performance of something like the 6.5x55.
The Carcano platform may possibly be the worst choice (or at best one of the front runners for worst choice) for a "custom build".
As far as preserving family history goes, just find a decent mil-surp specimen, polish it up, and put on display.

Read the OP's second post.
He's related to Carcano.
So he wants a Carcano rifle even though there might be better choices.

"...wants a Carcano rifle..." Sal wants a regular hunting rifle chambered in 6.5 x 52 Carcano. We've been spending his money on it elsewhere. snicker.
The only issue is the .264" bullet vs the milsurp .268". Solved by the thing being commercial and there being lots of commercial reloading kit for the .264" bullets.
It's a 200 yard deer cartridge using Norma factory ammo. Drives a 120 to 150 grain bullet at about 2400 FPS MV with 2043 ft. lbs. of ME. Does about 1996 FPS and 1062 ft. lbs. at 200 yards.

Thank TO Heir and COSTEVE for understanding and Defending my wishes.

And geezerbeeker and mobuck. Yes there are better and easier to build cartridges and the better cartridges mean nothing to me and again I have many beautiful mil surp Carcanos on display. I'm related to the long deceased salvatore carcano and I've wanted a custom rifle In his cartridge for many years. It's really not about money or convenience but about living once and Doing what I want. Life's to short! Learned that after years in LE. Thanks to SCORCH on here and we're in the process of designing one on a model 7 OR 700 action with custom bolt face work. It's going to be a 6 month process but I have hope and a plan so I'm happy and I thank everyone here on firingline and I'm excited to hunt with my custom carcano.
Thanks for everyone's help
Godspeed
Sal

TO Heir thanks again for Defending my wishes. I made it clear in My post that I know there are better 6.5 cartridges and I'm only interested in the carcano. Everyone has an opinion and maybe they didnt read about my relation to salvatore carcano and my sentimental meaning to the cartridge of the fact I stated I didnt want another 6.5 whatsoever. Thanks again and much appreciated

"...wants a Carcano rifle..." Sal wants a regular hunting rifle chambered in 6.5 x 52 Carcano. We've been spending his money on it elsewhere. snicker.
The only issue is the .264" bullet vs the milsurp .268". Solved by the thing being commercial and there being lots of commercial reloading kit for the .264" bullets.
It's a 200 yard deer cartridge using Norma factory ammo. Drives a 120 to 150 grain bullet at about 2400 FPS MV with 2043 ft. lbs. of ME. Does about 1996 FPS and 1062 ft. lbs. at 200 yards.
TO Heir thanks again for Defending my wishes. I made it clear in My post that I know there are better 6.5 cartridges and I'm only interested in the carcano. Everyone has an opinion and maybe they didnt read about my relation to salvatore carcano and my sentimental meaning to the cartridge of the fact I stated I didnt want another 6.5 whatsoever. Thanks again and much appreciated

I do understand. Sometimes an itch just has to be scratched. I've always wanted a rifle in .33 WCF but I'll most likely not scratch that itch...

Tony

I don't have a caracano gun--but I do have a representative cartridge of the one that took out Kennedy--it's right up there near the top with other "most peculiar designs." Why not?;)

I have a rather rough 6.5 Greek Mannlicher action that's been laying around my shed for a few years. Just the action and no barrel. It was in 6.5x54MM. Now that ammo is relatively available I gave thought to getting it done. Cleaning up the action, a barrel and chambering plus making a stock for it and it's pushing very close to the $4.5K area. Years ago, I had a 1903 Mannlicher-Schoenaur in 6.5x54 that some low life liberated from my truck in Elko Nevada back in 1975. :mad: I never could find a decent replacement. :(

I hope you realize your dream rifle. After all, it's only money. :rolleyes::D
Paul B.

I've been watching Forgotten Weapons on Amazon Prime and the guy had a lot of nice things to say about the Carcano rifles. It's worth watching if you haven't seen it yet...

Tony

Back