Walther WMP .22 Magnum Range Report

Wow, first the Kel Tec PMR30, then the Walther WMP, and now the S&W M&P22 Magnum... a veritable glut of 22 Magnum pistols! ;) (Ignoring the earlier 22 Magnum pistol attempts)

It will be interesting to see if the S&W Tempo gas operated system has any restrictions on ammunition type - will it use the full spectrum of bullet weights from 25 grain to 50 grain? It has a manual safety, unlike the WMP. The linked article lists both a 5 inch and 4.35 inch barrel, but it appears that 4.35 inch is correct. How much demand is there for 22 magnum pistols? :rolleyes:

Walther has a list of ammo to use and to avoid. I read somewhere that Smith did, too, but all I can find now is in the owner's manual:

NOTES REGARDING 22 WMR AMMUNITION:
• One of the benefits of the TEMPOTM barrel system is that it generally
allows the shooter to use ammunition with “lighter” bullets and still enjoy reliable function of the semi-auto firearm mechanism.

• Smith & Wesson® wants to emphasize that jacketed bullets MUST be used in the M&P® 22 MAGNUM pistol. Ammunition with copper-plated, or polymer-coated bullets will cause reliability issues.
• If non-jacketed ammunition is fired, the clearance between the barrel and barrel shroud quickly becomes leaded and fouled and the gun will not function until it is cleaned thoroughly (see page 39).
• As long as bullets with Full-metal Jacket (FMJ), Total-metal Jacket (TMJ), Jacketed Hollow-point (JHP), Jacketed Soft-point (JSP), or jacketed bullets with a polymer tip like the Hornady® V-Max®, the pistol should function reliably with normal cleaning (see page 39).
• Birdshot loads WILL NOT reliably function in the M&P® 22 MAGNUM.
• Smith & Wesson® has found wide variations in primer sensitivity between different brands and types of 22 WMR ammunition. Smith & Wesson® recommends that before you put your M&P® 22 MAGNUM handgun into regular use, that you fire several boxes of your brand of ammunition through it to determine reliability of ignition. If “failure to fire” occurs, try different types or brands of 22 WMR ammunition until a loading is found that provides reliable function in your pistol.

Ha! I commend S&W for spending less than an hour designing the grip!

JK. Either is super slim and fantastic or that goes down as the laziest grip ever produced.

That long lever on the slide release is sure odd too.

S&W describes the grip as "slim". it must be wrapped as tight as possible around the double stack 22 WMR magazine.

One of the complaints about the PMR30 was mis-feeds from the 30 round magazine. If S&W has a reliable magazine design they may have a real competitor, especially if the Tempo system allows use of all bullet weights.

For sure.

Walther will have to update the WMP if the S&W product functions.

50% increase at no cost isn't something small to sneeze at. Particular on rimfire loading-ouch.

One of the complaints about the PMR30 was mis-feeds from the 30 round magazine.

Interesting. I've never had miss-feeds from a Grendel P-30, the predecessor of the PMR-30. I thought the only magazine change was to a heal retainer instead of the more 1911 mag release used in the P-30.

Or maybe I just pay more attention to loading the magazine then some users.:confused:

Interesting. I've never had miss-feeds from a Grendel P-30, the predecessor of the PMR-30. I thought the only magazine change was to a heal retainer instead of the more 1911 mag release used in the P-30.

Or maybe I just pay more attention to loading the magazine then some users.:confused:

It could very well be user error in loading the magazines. I don't have any experience with the PMR30 so the only information I have is from internet forums - what could go wrong with that? :rolleyes:

My WMP has been very reliable with a variety of 40, 45 and 50 grain WMR ammunition. No issues with lock back on empty or problems seating magazines. It's been more reliable than my 22LR pistols.

I didn't know there was 50 grain 22 mag ammo, I'd like to try some. I see Federal makes it, do you know of any other brands that do?

Back