Walther PPS Classic Major Safety Issue

I think there is a legitimate question as to whether Ace Breaker's pistol was defective, or whether they all do that -- which would mean the design is defective. That issue won't be resolved by calling other people names, so let's not have any more of that or this discussion will be closed.

From a review of the PPS:
http://www.9mmhandgunreviews.com/walther-pps-review.html

Additionally there is an indicator on the back of the slide that shows whether the striker is partially cocked. The major point of departure for the PPS's 'Quick Safe' trigger variant from the P99 is that when the pistol's back strap is removed the sidearm becomes disabled for safe storage by decocking and blocking the striker until the backstrap is reinstalled. A unique feature of the PPS is the simple cocking indicator on the back of the slide. The indication is simple: if you see the red tip of the indicator, the gun is ready to fire.

Here's another:
https://gunsgunsguns.net/walther-pps/

One noteworthy feature: Removing the backstrap will render the pistol inoperable for safe storage and also offers a different grip configuration for different size hands. While disassembling the PPS, Walther suggests removing the backstrap instead of pressing the trigger to release the action, which would certainly eliminate any involuntary discharge.

And right from Walther:
http://www.carlwalther.com/pps.htm

Walther QuickSafe? Safety redefined: The partially cocked striker assembly is decocked simply by removing the backstrap. The removed backstrap therefore doubles as a "key". Without it, the pistol can't be fired! So when the backstrap and the pistol are stored separately, the PPS is safeguarded against unauthorized use.

I'm sure the reviewer got this information from Walther; I doubt he just made it up. This would certainly indicate to me that the striker should not be able to make contact with a live primer in the process of removing the backstrap. But I'm an old-fashioned sort of guy -- to me, "blocked" means "blocked."

I continue to be confused at some reactions people have on the internet. I don’t understand why some seem angry with the OP for having a manufacturer address a safety issue. Per follow on posts, according to Ace Walther replaced the product due to safety concerns and I’m inclined to believe him/her. Whether I or anyone else like Walther is immaterial to that fact. I’ve personally seen pistols from the factory that had defects. What’s important in those cases is that proper gun handling prevents someone from being hurt and secondarily that the defective product is fixed. Both seem to have been taken care of here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
BTW, for my edification, can somebody with a PPS classic test this? Pull the backstrap off and see if it releases the striker?
I just checked on mine and it appears the striker does not drop to where it could fire a live round though of course I did not try with a live round in the chamber.

1. When pulling the trigger on my PPS while cocked the rear "red tipped cocking indicator" moves out maybe 1/8 of an inch and then drops back in as the striker drops. When removing the backstrap that does not happen (moving out about 1/8 of an inch) but the indicator drops further into the slide so that you can not see the red tip anymore and not making much noise in the process, much less than actually pulling the trigger to get the striker to drop.

2. I put a pencil in the barrel to check if firing pin was being actuated , pointed the barrel skyward and removed the backstrap twice and the pencil did not move at all making sure I racked the slide fully before each attempt.

3. I noticed after doing the above that the trigger barely moved from full forward postition when cocked after removing the backstrap. After that I put my finger on the trigger and was able to move ii to the rear where it normally is after a dry fire/decocked with almost zero resistance.

Hope this helps.

Also curious about.

1. Did you buy your PPS new?

2. Had it been modified in any way from factory new including any non Walther springs/parts?

3. Ever disassembled beyong basic field strip?

Last edited:
Thanks for testing Sigarms. I think what happened to me is that the trigger moved as you stated when you removed the backstrap, yet my trigger safety failed to stop mine from mimicking a trigger pull. My trigger did move all the way back as if firing the gun when I tested it later. The gun was like new, no mods or upgrades. I did not disassemble more than a field strip.

Thanks Aguila for the information you posted. You are absolutely correct. My manual is stored away and I had read what you posted from the website. I absolutely believed that the weapon was safe to remove the backstrap based on that information.

The good news in all this is only ego was hurt and that my PPS m2 has no backstrap to worry about! My PDP is also a joy to own!

I think handsome Wild Cat Mccane pointed out at the start of this thread that there is a mysterious "part 26" that Walther specifically designed that won't allow the PPS to fire without the trigger being pulled.

We know this isn't an issue in general for the PPS. It wasn't deprecated to the M2 because of a recall.

So if your PPS does this or not, doesn't matter. The question is IF it can do it, with a manufactured part that WON'T allow it (part 26), then Walther has a HUGE liability. Also in the manual, there are instructions that pulling the trigger will fire the gun, no? that's the purpose and mechanical function of the gun. Anything else? Get your checkbook out Walther.

Seriously. If your round hit something, you just became a US citizen with legal standing against a company with YOUR (either the entire line (class action) or just your) product that is defective. That's how it works.

Last edited:
Or a part could have simply failed. It happens. Decockers have been known to set rounds off. Rare but it happens. I would imagine if this was endemic it would be ALL OVER THE WEB.

I have a Classic but have never removed the backstrap. If I think about when I am near it next time I will give it a try. I may forget though.

The take away from this is that one should never be complacent with a loaded weapon even if you believe it to be 100% functional and safe in a given action. Whenever possible UNLOAD the gun when doing anything with it (adding a light/laser, working on backstraps, sights etc. etc. ). I am not throwing shade at the OP just saying use mistakes to learn whether yours or others.

As to the gun it obviously had some kind of a safety defect/part failure. My guess is it was a one off as if not you would likely quickly see some kind of a recall from Walther.

Glad the only problem the OP ended up with is rattled nerves and a misplaced hole in nothing critical. Also thanks for posting as you both warned of a possible product danger as well as provided a reminder to shooters new and old to UNLOAD your gun before dorking around with it and if doing something like decocking do so in a safe direction because while stuff doesn’t happen lots……STUFF DOES HAPPEN. Plan for what COULD happen.

Take care, shoot safe,
Chris

No matter what forum I've ever belonged to there are those who fancy themselves experts and perfect in every way, talking down to others, and displaying their unique ability to never making errors in judgement. May those to whom this refers lead a happy, carefree, and flawless life.

Back