Walther PPS Classic Major Safety Issue

Ace_Breaker

So, I own a "First Edition" PPS Classic, gray frame. The weapon has a system called QuickSafe, "safety redefined", the striker assembly is decocked when the backstop is removed. The backstrap supposedly doubles as a "key" to make the gun safe. I have never had a decocker fire a gun accidentally. I will cut to the chase. On Thanksgiving Day I was showing a relative my PPS and told them about the QuickSafe function. When I pulled the backstop off, the weapon fired. No fingers on the trigger and universal firearms safety rules had been followed. Yes, there are damages but nobody hurt. In retrospect I should have unloaded the weapon, but in my mind QuickSafe becomes useless if you already unload the weapon. As in, I would never unload then take off backstraps before leaving the weapon in my vehicle. I wrote Walther and have yet to hear back. Wonder if they will even respond since our last interaction years ago was horrible...Online shows a lot of people having issues with the backstrap coming loose and disabling the weapon. I would hate to think people could be out there, hit the backstrap, and it firing like mine did. Will see what Walther says...

I wonder how the firing pin block safety, and the trigger safety were disabled? That is two safeties that would have to malfunction in order for the pistol to discharge if there was no pressure applied to the trigger itself.

Yes you should have removed the magazine and ejected the cartridge in the chamber before doing anything like that with other people around as that is the only way for sure to prevent an ND/AD.

Last edited:
Exactly, hence my absolutely thinking it was safe to take off the back strap with no issues. They literally sell this as a way to make the gun safe. I just tested the gun (unloaded) and it does fire every time when I remove the back strap. Nothing is even touching the trigger, but it does pull all the way back when the strap is removed as if it is fired. The firing pin is being released and hit the pencil I put in there, throwing it out of the barrel. When I look closely at the trigger safety I notice that the safety extends out from the trigger but not enough to do the job. Maybe the spring is part of the issue. I have carried a PPS for many years, now but I am afraid to carry this any longer. I have probably owned 15 Walther models over the years and this one worries me. No word from Walther yet.

Last edited:
I had one when they first came out. Really liked that gun, and liked the paddle release. Ended up trading it for a PM9 and cash. I hated to get rid of it, as it was a tack driver, but I wanted the Kahr more at the time.
Wish I would have kept it, but knowing my luck, I would have had the same freak accident as you.
Glad no one was hurt…

The Walther PPS manual warns to make sure the handgun is unloaded before changing/removing the backstrap. I don't think Walther intended the backstrap to be used as a decocker like an external lever operated one in other pistols to change trigger action from SA to DA. I think they meant it as a way to disable the PPS from being fired at all (even if loaded and slide racked again) without the backstrap by unauthorized people including children and thieves. I am not sure how the whole decock thing happens when the backstrap is removed and possibly your pistol is malfunctioning, especially since you seem to indicate the trigger safety is not working. Thankfully you made sure it was not pointing at anybody when you demonstrated.

From Walther PPS manual page 23.
http://www.indaginibalistiche.it/utlities/manuali/walther_pps_EN.pdf

REPLACING THE BACKSTRAP

The PPS features WALTHER’s QuickSafeTM technology. By removing the backstrap
from the frame, the striker assembly is de-cocked and the pistol is incapable of firing.

WARNING: MAKE SURE THE HANDGUN IS UNLOADED BEFORE
CHANGING THE BACKSTRAP.

• If the backstrap currently on your pistol does not fit your hand comfortably,
you can install one of a different size and shape. Backstrap sizes S and L are
included. Press the latch at the bottom of the backstrap (Figure 23.1) and
remove the backstrap from the grip. (Figure 23.2) Take the current backstrap
off the handgun and replace it with the appropriate insert.

• Align index markings and push the backstrap up and towards the grip in a
continuous motion. (Figure 23.3) The backstrap installs easily, be careful not
to apply excessive force. (Figure 23.4)

Last edited:
I don't think I ever read of this in the Walther forum. As someone said, it has a trigger dingus and a firing pin block where part 26 is the decocker only.

Wrote Walther a second time and they responded in minutes saying they wanted me to send the gun in. I appreciate the quick response!!

Update, Walther does not want to return the PPS to me. They offered me an M2, which I already own. I asked for a PDP compact 4” and they accepted. Looking forward to trying it out!

There is a shop online selling the M1/Classic PPS right now (which is really odd)...

But either your Walther was truly broken and they didn't have one to replace it. That's scary. Part 26 shouldn't cause a fire regardless of the manual stating to have it unloaded.

Scary.

Exactly my point. It should not have fired and clearly had safety issues. To those who say it should have been unloaded. From now on I will always drive with both hands on the steering wheel I promise!

Exactly my point. It should not have fired and clearly had safety issues. To those who say it should have been unloaded. From now on I will always drive with both hands on the steering wheel I promise!

I think you’re being a bit flippant. It’s not always possible to drive with both hands. It’s generally possible to unload a firearm before handling it with someone else. I say this as someone that wasn’t always as careful as he could be and had a negligent discharge. It was an unfortunate lesson, but one positive I took from it was a greater sense of safety awareness. Even if you wanted to demonstrate the safety feature you can do that without a round chambered (you’ll hear the striker release if the safety feature failed).

I’m glad Walther replaced it for you, as regardless of my previous comment it was a flawed product. I’m kind of surprised they replaced it with an even more expensive product, I don’t know if most manufacturers would do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Wow, unsafe gun handling. That's not a Walther issue. I've had one fur years and have never heard of one failing because of the backstrap design. Just pick the size grip you want and leave it alone. Just clear the mag and chamber and field strip it just like you would a Glock. Sounds like the Alec Baldwin defense to me. That trigger was pulled

Walther replaced it with a more expensive model because they are admitting a faulty product, please don't sue us.

Walther replaced the pistol because they don’t want to deal with the hassle of fighting someone who doesn’t practice good firearms safety, and doesn’t know how to use the gun, not because it was defective.

I tested the gun numerous times afterwards and the gun fired every time I took off the backs-trap. Yes, it left me scratching my head. The trigger safety and firing pin safety both failed. Nothing was on the trigger friends so ease up on the judgement. Walther refused to return it to me because of the issues the armorer found. The Baldwin comment is stupid and uncalled for. No universal firearms rules were violated, but I made the mistake of trusting the gun safeties and not unloading it. I would never have thought in a million years a weapon would fire by taking off the backstrap.

RPK the all knowing is completely wrong by the way so keep your wrong opinion to yourself. I left this forum years ago because comments like that. Not worth arguments with the uninformed.

Cranky love-correct I complained and they just tossed me a new more expensive gun because they wanted no hassle. Good call. It was in no way, shape, or form because of a defective weapon.

Last edited:
It's interesting that we now seem to live in a world where someone can do something specifically prohibited in the owner's manual, gloss over that with the statement, "in retrospect I should have unloaded the weapon, but in my mind QuickSafe becomes useless if you already unload the weapon" and then start a thread about a "Major Safety Issue" with a pistol.

This is why a car's owner's manual used to tell you how to adjust the valves, and now warns you about drinking the anti-freeze.....

Larry

Yep DT, I am at fault and the weapon had nothing to do with it. Good call to judgement.

Before posting this thread I read that many have issues with the backstrap falling off when getting hit. If what happened to me is true, then there could be potential risks for PPS owners carrying the gun. Walther would literally have to recall all PPS classics. Is that worth sharing? It is clear many of you would rather judge me than see that there could be an issue. I do have two witnesses to the defective weapon firing but nobody asks, they just rush to judge. And then Walther keeps the gun and apologized for the problems I had. I know how it goes around here. Now we will beat up my comments and forget the safety issue.

Moderators, please lock this thread or erase the thread if the safety concern is considered invalid.

Back