Walther PPK/S

I run Walther mags and have used Fiochi, Win white box, PMC, LAX, Blazer brass, and Federal HST’s with zero malfunctions. And yes, you’ll need a winch or a come-a-long to pull the trigger in double action.

I have one....Interarms stainless, made by Ranger in Alabama. GREAT little pistol. It is one of only two pistols I own that has never jammed (the other being an HK P7) and is my most accurate small/pocket pistol (I think the fixed barrel contributes to that). That being said, the double-action trigger is one of the heaviest you will ever pull - about the only thing bad I can say about it. Mine is pure stock and I shoot most commonly-available 380 out of it. IT has had hundreds upon hundreds of rounds and not a hiccup. BTW, Hitler carried both a PPK in .25, and a PP in .32, so it is debatable which one actually led to his demise. But the most common thought is the PP in .32....

J

Nice addition, I also have one of the stainless Interarm guns but haven't shot it yet. Put a nice set of Turkish walnut grips on it due to the factory ones being cracked.

In order........

1. Ammunition.
Since all guns are individuals, what works great in my gun may choke your gun.
So, the best answer is to select a brand/type of ammo and test fire it.
If it fails, try another until you find one that works.
This is especially critical in a defense gun.

2. Magazines.
The factory mags tend to work best.
Keep the magazines clean.

3. Lubrication.
The Walther's seem to "like" slightly heavier amounts of liquid lubricants, and tend to love a good grease.
Use grease on the outside of the barrel, the outside of the recoil spring, the slide and frame rails, the sear where it contacts the hammer in double and single action, and the end of the draw bar where it contacts the sear on the right side of the frame.

4. DA trigger pull.
The DA trigger on the Walther's is heavy and there's not much that can be done about it.
No one has ever managed to put that many features in that small a pistol and the trade off is the heavy DA trigger pull.
The problem is that Walther squeezed a lot into a then-tiny frame, and the DA pull is a matter of leverage.
You could install a lighter mainspring, BUT that very often causes miss-fires and other stoppages.

What to do is simply use the gun and get used to the trigger. After you get used to it and strengthen your trigger finger, you actually stop noticing the heavy pull if you use it enough.
Some fun can be had by handing your Walther to someone unfamiliar with them and having him shoot it.
Often you can watch as they pull and pull, then ask if the safety is on.

The Walther PP series of pistols are sort of the 1911 of small autos.
It's the .32/.380 that all other .32/.380's were judged by and very few were ever able to rise to the Walther level.

I owned a ppk in 380 in the 90s. was only 100% reliable with FMJ. I had the chance to get another about a year ago but opted for the Sig P232. neither of which are my preferred caliber in this style gun.

I purchased an Interarms PPKs a few years back like most people here, I bought it for the nostalgia of the PPK. The double action trigger was atrocious, and the recoil is pretty stiff. The slide also had sharp edges that would cut into the web of my hand. All of these were common complaints for the PPKs.

I replaced the mainspring with a reduced power Wolf spring. That brought the double action pull weight down several pounds without effecting reliability. I also put in a reduced power recoil spring. That of course didn't do a thing for the recoil, but it smoothed things out a bit.

I then went to work knocking down the sharp edges of the slide with a light file and some sandpaper. I took my time and went slow while watching a movie one night. It turned out really nice. No more slide bite.

It's been completely reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just saw a used stainless one on consignment, looks just like the one pictured.
Had one years ago but the magazine kept popping out under fire, so I traded it.
Guy wants $500 for it. Is that a fair price?

Back