Walther PPK/S

CDR_Glock

I saw an Interarms SS Walther PPK/S at the gun shop the other day

I had to have it. Mainly for the nostalgia of a gun owned by the likes of Elvis and portrayed in the movies, James Bond. It even lead to the demise of Hitler. The

I have read reliability is hit or miss, even between the Interarms and the S&W versions. In many cases, I have noticed that it boils down to maintenance, magazines, and ammunition.

So I ask the following :

1) What Ammunition works for yours?
2) Which magazines work for you? OEM, MEC GAR?
3) What type of lubrication do you use?
4) I read in a review that the trigger was 17 pounds. Felt like it was 11 # to me. Is it really that heavy across the board?

I don’t plan to carry it for CCW, by the way.
ad7b446a86af348285d28063a4a14876.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Congrats on the new purchase. My mom had one but we ended up trading it for a Sig P230. The recoil is pretty snappy for a .380. The gun was pretty accurate for a compact pistol, but the trigger pull was pretty heavy in double action. Good luck with yours!

CDR Glock:

The beautiful "Made in W. Germany" PPK/S which I recently owned required a new magazine to feed correctly.

It also required a weaker Wolff recoil spring, due to the Weak modern .380 ammo being sometimes unable to push the slide far enough rearward to feed properly.

Both the original DA trigger pull and the blowback recoil (reminded me of the Polish P-64) were not as pleasant as I had expected, but maybe the hammer spring would have been easy to replace with a lighter spring...

The Interarms guns made in Ranger Alabama are sort of hit and miss. My PPK has been 100%, but you can never really tell what you're going to get. Because of that I won't recommend them even though I've had very good luck with mine.

Try different ammo until you find some it likes.

The DA trigger pulls can be pretty awful--at least in terms of pull weight, but the single action tends to be pretty nice. The DA pull on my PPK is between 17 and 18lbs with the SA pull about 4lbs, 5oz.

Recoil is probably stiffer than most people expect, but on the nice side, it seems to come straight back without much muzzle lift.

I've only used Walther marked mags in my PPK.

If it works with your carry ammo and you can stand the weight, you could do worse for a carry gun--especially since your DA trigger sounds like it isn't as stiff as some are.

I have had several of these. My favorite was the stainless Interarms version. I stuck with the factory magazines and had great luck with no issues. I forget what ammo I fed it, but at the range it was some version of generic ball ammo. Clean and lube it like any other semi auto. Nothing special needs to be done to it.

[QUOTE)James Bond and Hitler used PPKs, not PPK/S.[QUOTE)

Not entirely true! James Bond was issued a PPK/S in Skyfall.

I own both a PPK and a PPK/S. Love em!
Major

Who cares what they used in movies . The PPK/S is a great little auto , It is a great carry pistol with one on the chamber hammer down , SA & DA it would fire any 380 ammo I fed it with out a problem . Mine came with one flat base magazine and one extended . Ballistol is a great cleaner and lube , just spray the slide down SS is easier to clean , mine was blued . Went to the range with my daughter , I was shooting a 45 she was shooting the PPK/S at 25 yards 3" bull after around twenty five rounds l was going down range to change my target that looked like I was shooting a skater gun , her's was untouched , to my surprise all her shots were in the black . I couldn't believe it , l changed her target and left my Swiss cheese looking target . Handed her her target and she said , Dad I love this gun . I couldn't say a word . Well the gun now is hers , l never shot that good with any hand gun. I'm still speechless , she didn't even save the target just showed her husband when we got back . Great hand gun and accurate in the right hands I guess.

I've owned 3 of the Interarms PPK/S 380s , one blue and two stainless. They have all been very reliable.

I picked up my current PPK/S last year after a long 25 years without a Walther. Is has been totally reliable with PMC and Remington factory FMJ ammo. Also with Hornady factory 90 grain XTP and XTP reloads as well. Also loaded up some "heavy" Sierra 115s and they ran with no problems but hit high on the target.

Earlier this year picked up a 1971 German PPK/S in 22lr - super reliable with high velocity ammo.

I have both PPK and PPKs and feel that the PPKs is a fortunate mistake. The anti gunners thought they were hurting us but getting around their stupid rules created an excellent shoulder holster gun, small, flat and accurate. I also like the full grip frame on the PPKs over the shorter wrap around grips on the PPK.
I shoot 95 grain FMJ and TMJ at medium velocities for range fun, there's no plus I can see in stressing the gun target shooting and the difference one would feel using it with defense JHP would not be noticed.
Maybe some day the new pistols will be released, and I'll have to have one if they don't cheapen them.
I've also only used the mags that came with the PPKs, I haven't shot the PPK.

I have the FEG smc 380 version of the ppk/s. It shot everything I put through it without a hiccup but man was it rough on my hand. I could barely get through a box of ammo without pain. Its in the process of being sold(so far no takers). A great gun for the price but not for me and I have small hands. The gun has iconic looks

They are fun little pistols, my brother has one. When you hold it, you know you are holding a solid hunk of (stainless) steel, that's for sure. I don't know that it's ever had a problem digesting anything I've fed it, including handloads. I'm not a big DA/SA guy, but it's a reasonable pistol, I've not found the DA trigger to be hugely heavy or anything.

The post- war Walther PPK guns and variations like the PPK/S were actually made in France by Manurhin, then were sent to West Germany, where they were proofed and stamped "Made in West Germany". I have a very nice Manurhin-marked PP in 380. I have in the past had both the American-made PPK/S and the "West German" version. The European guns were superior in both fit and finish and accuracy. My American PPK/S shot a foot high at 50 ft.

My BIL bought a PPK/S brand-new. He didn't shoot it until they came to visit us.

We went to an local indoor range and gave it a try. I hated it! One of the very worst handguns I've ever shot.

My BIL was so disappointed with it, as soon as they returned home, he traded it in on a used Beretta .380.

[PPK Nazi]

PP = full length slide and frame

PPK = short slide and short frame

PPK/S = short slide and long frame

PPKs = plural (more than one PPK)

PPK's = possessive (belonging to a PPK)

[/PPK Nazi]

I had several many years ago. IMO the 32 is more reliable than the 380. FMJ ammo is best. Blued are better than stainless. French made are much better than American, German post war in the middle. The double action trigger pull is very heavy the SA has lots of take up. Some are trustable carry pistols most are not considering today's options: Glock 43, Sig p365, Ruger LCP.

Back