Walther PPK/S opinions needed

I have small hands and love the little Walthers. I have a pre war PPK 7.65, a near 40 year old .380 PPK/S and .22LR PPK/S. The Mauser & Bersa are nice and I like them; but the Walthers are just such perfect fits.

It has long been acknowledged that in addition to their obvious utility; knives, watches, and lighters can also be expressions of style or even tokens of masculinity. Despite some cultural and legal complications in their history, concealed carry guns can fall under that same umbrella. (Some guys might balk at this but it's totally a thing.) If you routinely carry a firearm and you want the right one to go with a tux at formal events, you'd certainly get style points. Even with "just" a PPK in .32 acp, you'd still be better prepared to defend yourself than a lot of people in a lot of possible crowds.
I started carrying a 1911 full size in 1982. The only time I did not carry conceal was when I lived on base or was stationed overseas. Until a few months ago I decided to carry a 686 with a 3" barrel simply because I love the way that gun looks, plus the caliber is nothing to sneeze at too. The PPK is just another pistol that I like how it is designed and the look appeals to me. The PPK will be my back up gun. I alway carry two guns with me as it is the fastest reload one can do. The PPK will replace my 22 mag naa.

Until a few months ago I decided to carry a 686 with a 3" barrel simply because I love the way that gun looks, plus the caliber is nothing to sneeze at too. The PPK is just another pistol that I like how it is designed and the look appeals to me. The PPK will be my back up gun. I alway carry two guns with me as it is the fastest reload one can do. The PPK will replace my 22 mag naa.

Two guns is more gear than I can manage but if you can comfortably and reliably do both with a tuxedo, any caliber concerns are largely mitigated. In the extremely rare case that you'd need your second gun, I think a PPK in .32 acp would be a welcome upgrade over the mini revolver. I just wonder how the size and weight increase will shake out when you do. (How will you carry the 686 and PPK?) If I was a two-gun guy and this was style-driven carry for the occasional formal event, I might end up with the PPK as primary and the mini revolver as backup. I hope you'll keep us updated.

Shoulder holster is one of the best ways to carry a heavy gun, if not, than we need to fork up the money for a really good thick gunbelt. You just get used to carrying extra gear.

Shoulder holster is one of the best ways to carry a heavy gun, if not, than we need to fork up the money for a really good thick gunbelt. You just get used to carrying extra gear.

I feel like shoulder carry is one of the best ways to carry any handgun. The only hitch is needing to have your cover garment on at all times. That's fairly easy with a suit, blazer, or tuxedo since the jackets are expected to be worn regardless of weather. You'll get a few wrinkles from keeping it on in the car but standards have relaxed enough that few would question it.

With more casual apparel, it can be tough in high heat and humidity. Yes, some guys pull it off with a flannel or other long-sleeved shirt but I find that very difficult. A cardigan sweater can work and I've been accused of "Mr. Rogers Carry", but that's also weather-dependent. As a result, I tend to shoulder carry from when Fall gets cool to when Spring gets warm. Then I switch to a smaller gun and use other methods.

for the money, i'd still opt for the Sig p232. its just far more refined if style is at the top of the menu.

The Sig P232 is a very pretty gun and I hear good things about its function. I think it comes down to the magazine release. I love a paddle. I like a button. I don't care for the heel release on the P232.

I recently got the itch to buy a Walther PPK, simply because I like the look of it. I normally carry a 22 mag NAA as a backup but now I want to carry this particular gun. ONLY this model. I would like to hear the pros and guns of this handgun from first hand shooters that own one or have fired it. Thank you in advance.
There are 380's that are lighter
There are 380's with better ergos
There are 380's with less felt recoil
There are 380's with better triggers
There are 380's that are less expensive
There are 380's that are better 'shooting'

But there are no 380's cooler than the PPK, and it has nothing to with the movies. There are just really really neat from many different perspectives. If you are looking to top the list I stated above, just get yourself an S&W 380EZ as it beats the Walter across the board, hands down. But if you want to satisfy a wants vs needs itch, the PPK will do it.

Enjoy yourself :cool:

The only .380's that I own are an old Bersa 383A (predecessor of the Thunder) and a stainless Walther/Interarms PPK/s. I've had the PPK/s since 1989. It's been years since I have shot it, but, the last time that I did, I put 600 rounds through it without a hitch (I keep records).

The PPK/s is one of those guns whose practicality has likely come and gone. But, who can argue with the fact that they are just one of the most cool looking guns to have ever been manufactured? I have no desire to part with mine.

0xQq4gF.jpg

I just picked up a Bersa Thunder 380 Combat last week. I already have a Taurus 709 Slim, but like the looks of the Bersa.

The Bersa is a tad larger than the Taurus, maybe 1/2" longer and 1/8-3/16" thicker on the grip, feels nice in my hands.

Much less recoil than the Taurus also, only drawback is the cost of the ammo, approx twice what 9mm Luger costs.

Fired it 50 times this past Sunday, ran fine and is quickly becoming my favorite over the Taurus.

AND...the price is right. I paid $280 for the 8-round version (they make a 15 rnd for more $$$, Bersa Thunder Combat Plus) and that included shipping and the $27 transfer fee at the LGS.

I'm going to a gun show this weekend and if I can find the 15rnd version for a good price then it's coming home with me!

Attachments

• 01.JPG
    01.JPG
    228.4 KB · Views: 11
The PPK/s is one of those guns whose practicality has likely come and gone. But, who can argue with the fact that they are just one of the most cool looking guns to have ever been manufactured? I have no desire to part with mine.
Darn right!
My 380EZ pistols blow away the Walther in all respects......except coolness :cool:

IMG-6846.jpg

Back