Walther PPK .380

Noban

I'm looking for input on the PPK in .380. I've never shot one, but it fits my hand real well and has a long standing reputation for reliability.

Questions: How much did you pay and is the stainless model worth the extra $$?

Thanks for the anticipated feed back

Hi Noban: Despite all of the glamor associated with the PPK, I've never been able to get one to work reliably. GUN TEST has commented repeatedly on the unreliability of the PPK's they have tested. I've had them in .22, .32 and .380. They all had frequent failures to feed and were especially prone to stovepipe jams. They are nice looking guns but I don't feel I can depend on them.

Jeff

If you are looking around, look at the SIG P232 .380. I've got one, and there are many owners here as well. (Many owners of the PPK, of course.)

I looked specifically at the PPK, and then the PPK/S. I have small hands, but the PPK was too small. The PPK/S was very nice, but then the P232 felt like heaven. It is very accurate, very reliable, and very classy looking (IMO).

Good fortune on your search.
Roon

The 3 stainless Walthers I own, PPK/S .380 & two .22 cal versions, hardly ever jam and are very accurate for factory pieces. Mine are marked: Interarms, Alexandria, Virginia under license of Carl Walther.....

This is the 1st time I have read they are unreliable. Guess I've not been paying attention in class.

Walther PPK, PPK/S pistols are unreliable
pistols by far. I do not recommend them.

On the other hand, the Bulgarian or East German Makarov's are 100% reliable, but
not as pretty to look at.

A Makarov costs you $169...has a slide release, and feeds everything.

I traded my S&W 659 and 2 mags even up for an Interarms Walther PPK/S .380 and 2 mags (both guns stainless) and have never regretted it. But they are two very different guns. My PPK/S is generally reliable and accurate, something I could not say for any S&W semiauto I have ever owned or used.

Within my experience, Glocks are the most reliable semiautos I've ever had. They make a .380, but its not imported to the USA.

The Walther PPK/S is a slick litte gun. I will own mine for a long time. Its standard issue for a number of European Intel and Undercover institutions, so its got solid "spook appeal."

[This message has been edited by James Sass (edited January 07, 2000).]

I've had my PPK (.380) for about 2 years and love it. When I first got it I was told they could be a little picky about the type of ammo used, which turned out to be correct. I tried several different Mfg's with some not too encouraging results, but found success with Cor-Bon.
Now I strictly use their 90gr and have NEVER had a problem (I think Walthers like really hot loads). They run about 1000fps out of mine which works out to be alittle over 200ft/lbs. I think alot of the people that dislike them are a little intimidated by the rather sharp recoil, which is about it's only drawback.

You might try a hungarian Pa-63 or SMC pistol in 380. You get a lot of bang for your buck and have enuff left over to buy some serious ammo. I stoke my Pa-63 with 90 grain hydra shocks. 7 rounds can make a statement. the smaller SMC pistol might abrade your hand in battery and only holds 6 but is a tiny piece.

Look them up in the shooter's bible under KBI, inc.

Dr.Rob

NOban, I've owned 2 Interarms (American made) PPK/S's. They both were junk. Horrible feed problems. Occasional double-strike of the hammer needed to fire a round.

Now I have a German made PPK/S, which is flawless. There is a huge difference between the the 2 manufacturers.

I suggest you either get the German made PPK/S or the SIG P230/232. Both will do well for you. The German made Walther will probebly run you about $475-$550. The SIG P230, about $350-$375.

CMOS

------------------
GOA, TSRA, LEAA, NRA, SAF and I vote!

Noban,
I carry a Manurhin(French Walther PP Lic. by Walther)all the time in 32.Never had one problem with it useing ball or silvertip.So you might want to check around for a used Manurhin there just as good and cheaper.

Greetings Noban; I agree with the comment's
made by ballz and James Sass. I own a American made Walther PPK in .380 caliber; and have NEVER experienced a problem with
it. On bullet's of hollowpoint configuration,
you do need to try several brands of factory
ammo; to see what works best in your firearm.
For me, it's Remington Golden Saber's. All
ball ammo should feed just fine. On the subject of price; they don't give these
little gun's away. I paid $459.95 + 8% sales
tax, for mine.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member
Message edited by Dan H. Ford on 01-07-2000

I have owned an FEG APK Mk II, a near-clone of the PPK/S, for two years. Cost about $250. Very reliable with ammo it likes. Occasional jams with ammo it doesn't like. It likes UMC for practice, Golden Sabre 102gr for defense. Has never jammed in 2 years with those rounds. The GS 102gr also seems to be the most accurate ammo for the gun. 2" groups at 15 yds. It doesn't like Federal Hydra-Shocks or Win Silvertips, or anything with a conical shape. But with GS 102gr. I feel very safe indeed carrying it.

FWIW, I had a blued American made PPK/S several years ago. It wouldn't even feed ball until I had the ramp polished, then it would feed Silvertips without a hitch. I noticed the blue finish had a tendency to start rust specks within a day or two of ISP and ankle carry, so stainless might be better. I really must say that the guy above who commented on the Sig 230 (now 232) hit it right. It points like an extension of the hand and is lighter (alloy frame) and easier to get into action. Only drawback-grips are wider and slightly harder to hide. I've had two 230's, wish I had one still, both beat the Walther.

------------------
When the wicked spring as the grass, and when all the workers of iniquity do flourish; IT IS that they shall be destroyed forever...Psalms 92.7

[This message has been edited by Jhp147 (edited January 07, 2000).]

Add me to the list of those who didn't know it was fashionable to diss the PPK... I've got 1,500 rounds through my Interarms, .380, stainless, American-made, Walther PPK and only experienced three mis-feeds. All three occurred in the first 100 rounds I shot through the gun and that's about the same problem rate that I've had with EVERY other semi-auto I've ever purchased.

I'm now at about 1,400 rounds without a mis-feed or a stove-pipe and you'd have to put yourself at risk of being shot by this Walther before you could get it away from me. I do tend to shoot FMJ's more than anything else, but my weapon's gone through more than a couple of boxes of HP's without a hitch during this period.

Unreliable? Junk? Them's fightin' words where I live. I have found my PPK to be a precision made, gorgeous to look at, and reliable CCW that is preferable to most other handguns it's size. Myself and about 4 million others can't all be wrong...

There are several drawbacks to the Walther PPK and PPK/S. First, and least important, they are all Manhurins. Walther was in the East Zone after WWII, and never made anything. Second, you have to deal with a blowback action, which produces more felt recoil. Third, the trigger is atrocious. I've weighed them as heavy as 17 pounds,and that doesn't help in the accuracy department. Next, they are a European military/police weapon, and therefore are designed to use ball ammunition. I've seen so many fail with high performance ammunition that it's unbelieveable.
Finally, I can't figure out why anyone would buy a .380 that size, when the Glock 26 is of a similar size and uses a much better cartridge. So do the Kahr's. Walther sells because of it's movie popularity, and it ought to stay in the movies, where violence is faked and no on gets hurt.

Noban,
Greetings! My wife still carries the PPK/S (stainless) I bought her about 5 years ago. I have tried many times to get her to carry something else,; but she has always gone right back to the Walther. She loves the way it handles and is (IMO) very reliable. I simply would not want her armed with anything that she does not have 100% faith in. Anything else is unacceptable.
Here's hoping you find one you can count on...

------------------
...save the 2nd. No fate but what we make...

Gremlin,I agree...I too was unaware of the "disability" of the PPK! I'm just getting up to around 1500 rounds thru mine, and have'nt experianced any problems since the first 100. It may have been the different types of ammo I was trying or just "new-gun-itus". Three other guys I shoot with have PPK's and they love theirs too. As far as "stepping up" to a Glock or whatever...I cant dissagree more, my PPK can go places my G26 could never. If I was going to carry something that size I'll grab my S&W Airweight Ti which weighs 1/3rd as much. Anyway "to each is own" I'll keep on loving mine!

I have owned four Walthers. First was a blue PPK .380 bought in 1960. It didn't function 100% so traded for a Browning .380. Next was a blue .32 caliber PP bought in 1970 (which I still have) which functions 100% of the time. Then a .380 PPKS and a .380 PPK (both stainless)purchased in 1992. I never had a malfunction of any kind with these last two pistols but traded them because my hands are not as strong as they used to be. Doc

------------------
Is that a pistol in your pocket or are you just glad to see me? .... Mae West

Noban -
I had a stainless Interarms PPK/S that wouldn't feed anything reliably. I also found it to be a nasty little gun to shoot -lotsa recoil for its size (blow-back design), hard to hold small butt in big hands, occasional slide bites. It was accurate, however, just wouldn't feed a full mag w/o a jam or misfeed. After three trips back to Interarms, still wasn't right, so I gave up and traded it off for a Beretta 85, no regrets. (Well, a little, it was a hndsome gun, stainless w/rosewood grips).

I have friends whose PPK/S's that have been nearly perfect. OTOH, I have a SIG 232 that feeds everything, has never jammed, feels great in hand and it quite accurate. Between it and the Beretta, I feel pretty well equiped, .380 wise. Good luck, M2

I had a lot of problems early on with my Interarms PPK/S stainless, it kept breaking ejectors. One trip to S&W (who now does the maintenence) and no problems since. I have put 483 rnds now through it since the repair trip and not a single mis-fire or jam. I am going to put another 200 or so down it next week and do not expect any problems. I shoot reloads and silvertips and my carry load is remington 88grn JHP's. No problems feeding anything.

I like mine, I like the double action, the hammer drop safety and the small size. I do not like the harsh recoil in full loads or the walther bite on my thumb.

My plan is to shoot up to 1000 rnds down it and then send it in to Cylinder and Slide for a beavertail, night sights, ambi-safety and a complete carry workover.

I know a lot of readers scoff at anything 380 or anything not a glock, but I trust the gun and more importantly I carry it routinely in a Galco J-hook IWB holster.

Just recognize that if you are going to buy one, you are taking a gamble. Some are good out of the box, some (like mine) need a trip in to the shop before they work, and finally some never work.

Good luck.

pete

Back