Walther PDP

After checking the mail on my way home from work, I was pleased to find my optics plate in the mailbox. Got the venom mounted up and I will go sight it in tomorrow. I like how low the red dot sits in this slide. Now to wait on my holster to arrive and look for some night sights to co-witness with the red dot, if such a thing exists, and find a few more.magazines for this thing.

As a reminder, the PDP uses Glock sights. Ameriglo makes a number of sight options that are tall and will be visible through the optic, whether you want an absolute or lower 1/3 cowitness. I think I used a set of Ameriglo GL-252s that I had left over from a previous Glock and they work quite well, basically a lower 1/3 cowitness with a Holosun 507c. I think any of the XL ones are a good bet, though compare the height of the optic base of your red dot to say the Holosun to make sure you don’t need a 2XL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a.lower one third co-witness would be ideal. For a lower one third with this red dot, the rear sight needs to be about 40-50% higher than they are.

Ameriglo should have heights available, either in the digital catalog or if you call them. Their phone service is pretty good.

Put a couple hundred more rounds through this gun today. Sighted in the red dot and spent some time blasting away. This gun is pretty easy to shoot. Overall, I am happy with this purchase. Might even buy a 4" compact for EDC.

Nice.

I admit I shipped mine back today. Going to pick one up again when the grooves become standard. I don't like the idea of having an early slide, even if it isn't a feature I use.

It is nice to just get straight back the money back from Walther and no selling it to someone. No moral conflict of worrying about who I sold it to.

Great gun. Look forward to Walther getting it together on the slide and someone can enjoy my Factory Certified PDP 5" compact on the cheap, I hope :)

I understand your dilemma. I too was a little disappointed when I found out about the new ones right after ordering mine. I will not be getting rid of mine just yet. I very much like this pistol.

The new holster came in the post today. I did not plan to conceal this particular gun so I went with a paddle holster. I think it was the cloak mod holster from Alien Gear. Seems pretty well made to me. I will open carry it for a few days and see if I like the holster. I usually wear a new holster for several weeks after getting it to work out the bugs and decide if I want to keep the holster or find something new.

The more I shoot this gun the more I like it. I have noticed that this Walther barrel seems to seal the case off when firing quite well. Using the exact same ammunition as I use with all of my other 9mm guns (bulk progressive press handloaded stuff), there is far less soot on the cases after firing from the Walther.

I have decided that I am definitely going to buy the 4" compact version as well.

The more I shoot this gun the more I like it. I have noticed that this Walther barrel seems to seal the case off when firing quite well. Using the exact same ammunition as I use with all of my other 9mm guns (bulk progressive press handloaded stuff), there is far less soot on the cases after firing from the Walther.

I have decided that I am definitely going to buy the 4" compact version as well.

Yeah the stepped chamber is something Walther talks about.

https://youtu.be/2ncJdY4tuOM

If you do get the compact, please let us know how the two compare for you. Many of the reviews I have seen seem to suggest the full-size PDP is better than the compact by more than just the size would suggest. I’d be curious if your thoughts.

Yeah the stepped chamber is something Walther talks about.

https://youtu.be/2ncJdY4tuOM

If you do get the compact, please let us know how the two compare for you. Many of the reviews I have seen seem to suggest the full-size PDP is better than the compact by more than just the size would suggest. I’d be curious if your thoughts.

I will definitely share my thoughts. I have to pay for a S&W performance center M&P 40 I recently ordered. Then order a compact Walther. I may want to wait until I can get one with the new slide cut

So, I did in fact get a Walther PDP compact. I am glad that this new gun has the new slide cut. Ordering my optic plate for it tonight. When I am not feeling so lazy I will get a photo of the new optic cut to share here. I plan to shoot it for the first time tomorrow, I will report back.

Ergonomics are the same. Balance feel nicer on the compact, but the barrel and slide are 1/2 inch shorter and the grip is about a half inch shorter as well. Overall, I was relieved that the compact grip is still big enough to use my entire hand without discomfort. Looking forward to shooting this for sure.

P.S. Do any of you go through spurts buying guns and don't even shoot them? I have been very busy the last month or so and have purchased four firearms that I have not yet even shot.

can I ask a super silly question? are the plate cut outs cut into the slide or are they raised ledges?

You can see pictures online, such as here:

https://waltherarms.com/2021/03/15/walther-pdp-optic-plate-mounting-system-2/

It looks like there is a main ridge with cut outs around it, such as exists on other optics ready pistols like the CZ P10 and HK VP9.

What I’m curious about is what the back of the new optics plates looks like, as that would give more information as to how the two surfaces mate together. I haven’t seen detailed pictures of the new plates yet, but in fairness I haven’t looked recently (last I knew people were still waiting on the new plates to become available). HK actually has ledges and posts on the plate that go down into the slide, seemingly offering more support. Most plates I’ve had/seen just have ledges formed into the plate. Those milled out portions around the center ridge are often to account for varying screw positions based on the layout of the different optics footprints.

Thanks!
I was wondering if the new "ridges" were raised and raised the optic height. Not that I have a red dot, but curious if they ended up making the dot higher. Just curious

I don't know. They are already cutting deep with the exposed spring. Someone ported their PDP barrel and it is amazingly thin. For so much reduction from this new optic plate, how light the PDP, it's crazy how big the upper is. Not going down that rabbit whole again, just saying that's a lot of cutting for the new plate.

It’s a lot of milling for something that when tested in the real world didn’t appear to be an issue for many people.

That’s actually a good question if it raises the height of the optic at all. That central ridge does look a bit higher than the flat slide, but my guess is the plate is cut accordingly. So not only is it a lot more milling on the slide, it’s more milling on the plates too.

I had one of the gray grip frame models in a cart online for a while, but in trying to convince myself to spend the money they went out of stock. My “old” PDP is still going strong.

Ha! I'm looking at the grey one too but waffle on it looking handsome or not :D At least you know you'll have the newest slide. Strangely it seems like most places have a stock photo of grey grip with a grey slide, which I haven't seen as an option (yet).

No, I agree it might not be a problem. I guess Walther is officially calling it the 1.0 and 2.0? Thanks for that link.

The gray looks different based on the picture I see, and I agree in some pictures the slide doesn’t look quite black either. Dark gray slide with a lighter gray frame would be interesting. I’d like to see these in person, hopefully one day they show up locally.

No.

P99 is "M1" style paddle release. PDP is push button only "M2" style.

Interestingly, the P99 has had a factory 20rnd mag that is cms larger than the "full" PDP 18rnd mag.

You could modify, but not a faint project.

Back