Walther P99 ?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cawdor:
Where can I get hicap mags for my P99 for $100? Can I buy it without being an LEO or Military?

Also, I havent' experienced any failures, nor a single misfeed, with my P99, serial number 139xx. I've only had it for like month now, and fired maybe 800 rounds of 124 grain reloads through it so far, and it has been perfect (as has my brother-in-law's HK USP 9mm). I may buy this from him, since he really wants to get a USP in 45 auto. I really do like the USP.
(note: unofficial Walther website says the P99 was not designed for the light-weight 115 grain bullet. The lighter bullets apparently may not give the slide enough inertia to cycle properly. Walther will send you a reduced rate spring to correct this problem for free.)
Yet, I still prefer the P99!
BTW, anyone seen the new Steyr M9 or M40 anywhere yet?

[This message has been edited by Sambonator (edited August 22, 1999).]

Try KY Imports, 800-718-3643. I saw an ad in Shotgun news a few months ago. The magazines were described as "factory new." I can't vouch for KY Imports because I have never bought anything there. You can also try http://guntrade.com/hcarroll/index.htm -- P99 hicaps have been available there in the past. Again, I have never bought anything there. They also have been available at $99 from One-Eyed Jacks "Dodgey Goods/Down 'N' Dirty Deals." E-mail is one-eyedjack@att.net. Finally, you can try Earl's Repair Service, 978-851-2656; I think Earl is charging $125. Check with the seller regarding legality.

As to the 115/124 grain issue, it seems to depend on your P99. I used 115 grain without a problem, including IMI, Sellier & Bellot, PMC, Federal American Eagle, and Winchester USA. There is another recoil spring available. Interarms sent me one at no charge, though I never tried it because my P99 never jammed. If you want one, try Smith & Wesson, 800-372-6454. Effective 08/01/99, Smith & Wesson assumed responsibility for warranty service on Walther pistols. Try some 115. It may work in your P99; it did in mine.

Let me add something about the change in the P99 barrel. I do not know, nor am I suggesting, that Walther changed the barrel on the P99 to cure the problem that I had. I don't know why the barrel was changed, and I don't know why my barrel failed. On the other hand, Earl told me that the firing pin was changed because some firing pins (about 30) had broken. Walther was not sure of the cause, but decided to strengthen the point where the pins were breaking.

Thank you all for the info on the P99 9mm. Mine is an early one with a serial # 89**. I guess I can look forward to problems down the road. I don't shoot it much because of the 3 stage trigger hanging up on stage 2. I wondered what all the fuss was when the Walther P99 first came out,and now I know. It looked and felt good. What a shame it's just another piece of junk. Guess I will wait for the right time to get rid of it. I don't think I will tell my local gun shop of the problems as he still has one in stock.If he knew about the problems he wouldn't sell it . A honest and moral guy.

Cawdor,

Thanks for the info on Bachman...

Have you ever dealt with them ?

Good service ?

All you other gun nuts :) - Thanks for your input.. I think I'm even more confused now than when I first asked about the P99. I emailed S&W to find out about the warranty on new P99's since they are taking over service as of 8-1-99. I wonder if they are gonna de distributing it also until the S&W model 99 becomes the only one on the market... If they offer a lifetime like the regular Smiths, I'll probably go with the P99, if not, it's gonna be the Glock 22 with some trigger work after I get it :()

If I do end up with the Walther, if there are a few glitches, I'll just send it back, that doesn't bother me too much as long as it gets fixed right the first time !

Scott

Scott, I have not purchased from Bachman because I can usually find the same price at a local dealer. I use it to compare pricing.

Since its a piece of junk, it must not be worth that much. $350 is more than fair for a highly problematic pistol, don't you think?

Put about 5000 rounds through a SW99 in 40 S&W and liked it a lot, but it frequently locked the slide open w rounds in the mag, and did not like to work when loaded to 10+1. Have come across several other people w the same problems, and I didn't look very hard for them either. Needs some fine tuning?

There are several Polizei state agencies that issue/approve several different pistols.

------------------
>>>>---->

Well, I finally found a dealer with a good price and since he's a Davidson's dealer, the gun comes with a lifetime warranty - Davidson's is a major distributor/wholesaler and any gun that a dealer buys through them comes with a lifetime replacement/repair warranty... Also, he's lettin me put it on layaway for a few months... can't wait to get it :)

Spoke to S/W service on the phone Thursday. They confirm they will handle the repairs and warrantee on the P99. When they get the parts. At present they have no parts for servicing the P99-9mm.Guess I'll give EARL's a call If anyone knows whats what with WALTHERS he does. My FFL dealer say's he will trade the P99 for full value on anything else of like value or more. Another reason to patronize your local gun store.

I bought a P99 40 last month, and I love it. However, during the first 20 rounds, I experienced the problem of the slide not fully going back to battery. After shooting the first 20 rounds, I've had no further difficulty. The P99 is accurate and fun to shoot.

I bought an HK USP Compact 40 last weekend, and I'll let you know which one I like better after I've taken it to the range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back