Walther P5 vs. SIG P225

Walther P5 vs. Sig P225

This is in response to the question of how can I prove the Sig will give up the ghost after 10,000 rounds. The answer is in two parts. The first response it to read, read, read. There have been several articles published on Sig failers down throurgh the years but I have also had first had experience with Sig failures. I have had two hi-cap sig magaizines come apart at the criss cross joining pattern located on the back of the magazine. Since I do not own a sig 225 I do not know if it is joined at the back like the sig 226 is. I have a close friend who suffered a slide crack after 5,000 rounds and he did not shot any plus p loads through his gun , ever. I have also had problems with the slide take down lever binding up and refusing to rotate. If it ever happens to your sig put a little upward pressure on the recoil guide rod when the slide is in the rearward position and it will usually enable the take down lever to rotate into the down position. The sig is not a bad gun by any means but it is not indestructable or perfect either. I do like the excellent trigger pull of the sigs and their accuracy is not bad either although it varies from weapon to weapon. My sig 220 .45 acp outshoots my sig 226 quite easily. Unfortuantely the Sig 220 will not work with sharp shouldered semi-wad cutter bullets like the very popular Hensley and Gibbs no. 68. Due to its short feed ramp the empty case that is being ejected actually drags over the loaded round underneath it. As the empty case is withdrawn out of the chamber the rim of the empty case will plow a channel through the sharp shoulder of the lead semi-wad -cutter bullet , it then comes in contact with the case mouth of the loaded round underneath it and peals it back like a banana peel resulting in an interesting jam up. My l911 with its steeper feed ramp had plenty of room between the ejecting empty and the loaded round beneath it and has no problems with the type of super accurate bullet. I like my sig 220 but you just cannot use any type of bullet in it. W.R.

I would take a little while to search out a used german police ( with mill mark, this should make it cheaper) H&K p-7.... its all steel and has a better trigger(Use NO +p ammo)

I had a p-5, and I loved it, no I really had an affinity twords it. I loved how when you took out the inner parts of the slide, and flicked the body of the slde, it would ring like a tunning fork ( it was not a gun it was a symphonic insrament dangnabet!). I loved it's accuracy..oh yah. I loved it's ability to shoot whole mags, as fast as I could pull the trigger and put in all in the black at seven yards. After experiancing mag releases with my FM-hi power ( just a little so the mag was not actualy in the gun...) I started to apreciate its Heal-clip mag release... I love the safety on the Walther( all of them seem to be very safe, I refer to the internal safety...I dont use manual safeties on DA guns). I liked the hammer drop placement.

I did have a problem with hollow-points, got a good smith to do a ramp-job. I wish it was all sthal and not Al framed. Oh yes I forgot to mention the gun was born to fire "+P" and machine-gun ammo, plus the extra slide rails of the breech block p-38 desighn kinda make up for the aluminum frame.

I was forced to sell it...foolish me, at least it was a good cause, should have raised the money some how else!

If you want to buy a Walther P-5 Earl Repair Service in MA has them for about $695.00 He also has a web site at carlwalther.com
He has used P-5's also, for cheaper money. He has British Special Forces model P-5C's, which were made for the Elite British Forces. You may want to look on GunsAmerica.com, they have new P-5's for less money, but Earl's Repair stands behind all his products. To get a handle on the cost of guns try GunsAmerica.com, so you know the price for either the Sig or the Walther before you buy.
By the way P-5's can be purchased with one, two or three barrels with same serial number in 9mm 9x19, 30 Luger and 9x21 but you better bring your wallet.

GunreviewWebmaster
(this is the best quality picture I could find, if anyone can find a better 225 picture please post them.....)

Here's some...
225.gif

225.jpg

225m.gif

p225blue.jpg

sg225.jpg

I would take the P225. I have fired a couple of Walthers, a P5 and a P88 Compact, and found the SIG Sauer pistols to be more accurate for me.

I say that the P-7 is a non +p gun because the manual explicitly warns against using submachine gun ammo. That is the real +p stuff, and a bullet weight of at least 100 grain ( this eliminates the 90 grain Cor-Bon +p as well).

The P-5 was made to shoot the same ammo as the HK MP5.

Excuse me the P-5 was made to shoot sub-gun ammo...not neccesarily that of the H&K. The warnining is on page nine of the manual that came with this German Police trade in...so it might not be in all manuals,I dont know, I'll bet the 100 grain warning is though...does that not tell you something? The gun was not built for hard kicking/battering bullets...

Still like it anyways.

I took my SIG Sauer P228 and Walther P99 Military out to try a side by side comparison.

This test was utterly unscientific and purely subjective, as I was the only person I had to fire these pistols and no Ransom Rest was available.

I found that for all intents and purposes, both guns would put holes in anything not harder than the 9mm round was able to penetrate.;)

I was able to make smaller five round groups with the P228, but the difference in the groups was less than an inch unless I got in a hurry. Or when I would fire both guns at the same time. I couldn't tell which gun made which holes, so I just circled the ragged holes first, then the small clusters, labeling the groups on the right "P228" and groups on the left "P99". Then I remembered that I switched at some point in the middle of that test and had to go back and relabel some of the groups so things would be even. (Someone cheated though because the P228 had more groups than the P99 and the same number of rounds was fired through each!);)

I have established that I need to conduct these unscientific test more often!:D

Back