Walther P5 vs. SIG P225

P5 or P5 compact?

P5 is a close relative of P38.
Very nice guns. Although Wlather P5s are usually more expenssive than Sig P225, I see no effective difference wetween them. Walther might be slightly lighter and smaller.
Both are DA/SA with no manual safety. Walther has rather unique deckocking lever.
Buy one you like better. Any would be an exellent choice.

I like the P225 better because the grip feels better in my hand, it seems thinner. You will have to decide which one fits your hand better, they are both fine pistols.

SIG SAUER P225
Specifications
Caliber, 9mm Parabellum
Length, overall 7.1"
Height, overall 5.2"
Width, overall 1.3"
Barrel length 3.9"
Weight, w/o magazine 26.1 oz.
Weight, empty magazine 2.8 oz.
Trigger pull DA 12 lbs., SA 4.5 lbs.
Magazine capacity 8 rounds

Model, P5
Specifications
Caliber, 9mm Parabellum
Capacity, 8+1
Barrel Length, 3.62"
Overall Length, 7.10"
Height, 5.10"
Width, 1.26"
Finish, Blue
Weight, 28 oz.
Weight, empty magazine NA
Trigger pulls, NA

Congratulations, you've isolated your choice to two underrated in the US but popular pistols in Europe. Both were desgined in response to the West German police trials that came after the PLO terrorist attacks at the 1972 Munich Olympics. The SIG Sauer proved the more popular of the two, but Walther sold 40,000 units German and Dutch police.

I favor the P225 because it fits better in my hand and it has better balance. I've only handled a P5 but I've never fired one. I did notice that the triggers pulls were smoother on the P225, but I can't say whether this is charateristic or only a result of the one I handled.

As has been posted earlier, the Sig 225 has proven the most popular but there is absolutely no way you can go wrong with either pistol. In my case, the ergonomics of the Sig fit my hand better and a better grip is attained when I draw.

I have copies of both, and love them both, but my experience is that the P5 is much more ammo sensitive than the 225. The P5 will eat fmj all day long, but does choke on some hollowpoints. I have actually owned three P5s of various vintage over the years, and this has been the case with all three.
The 225, OTOH, eats anything. It also feels better in my hand than any other revolver or pistol. The P5 is super neato, but my choice between the two would be the 225, hands down.

I like the Walther's LOOKS better (sleek); however, I think the Sig Sauer P225 is a MUCH BETTER BUY. The Sig Sauer P225 is one of the best Sig Sauer models and I highly recommend it.

Walther P5:

p5_gross_2451999.jpg

Sig P225: (this is the best quality picture I could find, if anyone can find a better 225 picture please post them.....)

p225.jpg

[Edited by GunreviewWebmaster on 04-20-2001 at 10:56 PM]

Hello. The Walther P5 is certainly more elegant in appearance, but the P225 is utterly reliable and accurate.
I am not a particular fan of SIG-Sauer pistols. Nothing against them, just that I prefer other makes. However, I've owned and shot several; I kept two: P225 and P220. The P225 is now my wife's pistol. I admit to not having fired over a thousand rounds in this pistol over a 5 year period, but it has never malfunctioned and the sights are on, although my wife's shooting will have to improve a tad before she will know any difference between well-regulated sights and those that are not!

I'd go with the P225 in this case. You will want to shoot more than ball and these little thingys do. I've owned three of the things over the years and all worked with anything you put in them.

Best.

Don't own a P5.

Don't need to.

Because I own a P225.

I've already got the best single stack compact 9 there is.

And I'm a Walther fan...

Some would also argue that the HK P7M8 is the best single stack 9MM going. I would have to submit its one of the most accurate and safe to carry. I like the P-5 and 225 a lot. As others have said, you can't go wrong with either. If you want something a bit different and probably in the price range of the P-5, look at the HK P7M8. The best value though is the 225, hands down.

Pilot

I'm so glad to see the extent of enthusiasm for these fine pistols. I own a P225 and P5C. I must echo the thoughts of others that the P225 is, in addition to being by far the better buy, more suited to serious defensive use. This is chiefly do to its feeding reliability. The P5 design is very impressive and the pistols are a joy to shoot but I'd reach for the P225 first if looking to carry. The truth is, however, that when I carry, it is a P7M8 that finds its way onto my hip.

No bad choices here.

From looking at the magazine floorplate on the SIG, it is a 225.
It would be hard to choose between the two, but I would probably go with the SIG given the price and my familiarity with them.
If I could find the Walther in the same price range as a NIB 225 (about $425 in my neck of the woods) I would try the Walther. The last time I saw a P5C was in a used gun case for $575, and I seriously considered buying it.

Hands down the Walther P-5 is the better made pistol. I own and shoot the P-5 a lot and just love this gun. I had made a mistake many years ago and traded the P-5 I owned. Boy what a mistake, I bought another one and this one shoots on the money and feeds anything. I use Range 127+P+ in my gun without any problems. I have never a malfunction of any kind with many thousands of rounds. If you want a class act gun bar none buy the Walther. If you just want a very good gun which has a stamp slide buy the Sig. I like sig guns the 228 was one of my fav guns but for quality of workmanship the walther is it. I own a lot of handguns Glocks, Beretta's, Smiths, Maks and Sigs cheap and expensive this is my all time Fav gun you can't go wrong with either gun but this is my choice.

I whole heartedly agree with Cocogo. The Walther is not made from any cheap stamp sheet metal parts. Few people are aware of the fact that the Sig slide is actually a soft sheet metal stamping. The muzzle end of the slide is enclosed with a plate that is welded in and then the weld is ground down to blend in with the slide. If you look at the rear end of the slide you will see that the pistol as a forged breach block set inside the slide. There is good reason for the use of this part. The soft slide could not stand up to the recoil of the 9mm cartridge so this is the reason for the insertion of a forged breach block.
There is good reason that the Dutch adopted the Walther. The sig simply does not last as long as the Walther. A good many of them give up the ghost after about 10,000 rounds. Walthers have been known to go 50,000 rounds or more. Admittedly the average Joe will probably never wear either pistol out because he will probably never shoot that many rounds through either pistol. There are though a few people who will (like myself) and I have greater confindence in the longevity of the Walther brand with its superior forged (not stamped) parts.
Although I own several of these pistols and I admit the sig is definetley cheaper to buy and has a better trigger. I personally would never use one in a serious situation. Why? A pistol must be kept mechanically simple for use in a crisis situation. The sig has two levers on the right side of the pistol. One is for the slide release and the other is for the hammer drop. I have seen to many people in a panic situation (myself included) hit the larger of the levers (the hammer drop lever) when trying to release the slide after insterting a magazine. Walther purposely used only one lever. The first stroke of the lever closes the slide and if you decide not to shoot you simply hit the lever a second time and drop the hammer. It is mechanically a far better system for a crisis situation.
I like the high quality materials, the racy look and the magic of the Walther name. Cost of course will unfortunately prevent most people from ever owning this fine pistol. By the way I have never had any type of ammuntion jam up in my Walther. W.R.

Oh brother

Big deal that the Dutch went with the Walther. Good for them. The SIG Sauer P225 was at one time the most issued police pistol in all of Europe. So if yout want to make adoption by agencies an issue, the P225 winds hands down.

"The sig simply does not last as long as the Walther. A good many of them give up the ghost after about 10,000 rounds."

That's sheer nonsense. Can you provide verifiable proof?

"The sig has two levers on the right side of the pistol. One is for the slide release and the other is for the hammer drop."

And? Why is this an issue?

"I have seen to many people in a panic situation (myself included) hit the larger of the levers (the hammer drop lever) when trying to release the slide after insterting a magazine."

This is a training issue. Poor training will cause all types of problems, this one included. The SIG Sauer setup appranetly isn't a problem for a lot of people, since you brought up the Dutch--their Royal Marine use the P226, as folks like the British Army. If the levers were the problem that you claim the SIG Sauer design would've been relegated to obscurity.

Get whichever fits your hand better and whichever one you're most accurate with. ;)

HK P7

I would go with P7. You haven't asked about it, but out of Walther, Sig and HK choices, I would go with P7-M8, it is about the same size as others, but probably more accurate and very quick to get into action and easy first shot as it is single action. Keep in mind the first shot is often the most important one. I shot the full sized model M13 and it is nice.

If I personally had to choose between the two -- well, I don't know. I would probably choose Walther based on what I see in this thread.

I have owned both and both are great pistols, but I sold the Sig P225. The Walther P5 I still and will always have. This P5 is much better made than the Sig and is the more accurate of the two.

You can also get this pistol in .30 Luger and 9x21 if you are interested.

By the way, it was over 50,000 to the Dutch and is
probably closer to 60K. Walther's police contracts are close to being fulfilled with the P5, and the P99 is already in use in many overseas law enforcement agencies

The P5 feels the best in my hand out of all of the Walthers that I own, including the P99. I have factory Walther wood
on mine which widens the grip very slightly, but fits great.

If you are looking for price, both are very nearly the same depending where you shop. If you want quality and reliability, then you would have to choose the Walther.
This is not a Sig slam, I still own a '228, it's a great pistol.

Tecolote, don't take this thread so personally. They are all just opinions with several well-known facts for anyone into the German handgun scene. It sounds as if you've had your feelings hurt because so many folks recommended the Walther over your Sig-Sauer P225.

Back