walther p 99 vs. HK USP 40/45

JFree

Inactive
HK USP40/45 or Walther P99, Iwant to know which is a better gun. I posted this on the general forum earlier. thought I would post it here on the new semi-auto forum as well. I am intersted in purchasing one of these guns and can't make up my mind. Hearing a lot of good things about both.
Does someone have experience with both to compare things like accuracy, dependability, manufacturers' reputation and warranty, price, durability, triggering. etc. advantages and disadvantages, etc. Should it be the Walther or HK. Much obliged!

[Edited by JFree on 11-21-2000 at 07:35 AM]

JFree; My shootin' buddy and I bought USP45's (full size) when they first came out in the mid ninties. I had never had an H&K product before so I didn't know what to expect. Boy, was I pleasently surprized. It was one fantastic pistol. Of the two pistols and thousands of rounds I don't recall one malfunction of any kind. I'm a believer. H&K makes good pistols. It's relatively lightweight (30oz), stone cold reliable, holds ten rounds, durable (Hostile Environment finish). Is a bit on the large size so I would classify it as a "static" gun- house gun, truck gun, camping gun etc. We packed ours over many a mile on our ATV's in the deep woods. Just my thoughts, J. Parker

I bought a Walther P99 Military. I like the interchangable grip. The medium fits my hand like a glove, and the small fits the Boss. The same isn't true of the USP.

I have owned the P99s in both 9mm and 40cal. Also the USP40 and USP45. All were 100% reliable. The Walthers were the most accurate. The most accurate of all was the P99 9mm. The Walthers also fit my hand the best and had the best triggers.

The Walther P99 is a fine pistol as long as it is chambered in 9mm. The 40 slick and willy version has some intermittant bugs to be worked out of it, but when that happens, it too will be a fine pistol.;) I would recommend it.

intermittent bugs?

could you list what the intermittent bugs are on the P99 .40 cal. and what about Walther's one year warranty vs. HK's lifetime.

JFree - I've never fired the HK, so I'm no good to you, comparison wise... But I love my Walther! Mine's a .40, black & stainless(QPQ). Nice tight groups at POA, recoil is easily managed because it fits my hand so well. I like the loaded chamber & cocked striker indicators, both give visual and/or tactile info on the current condition of the pistol. Feeds & fires reliably, & the trigger has gotten smoother with use. No glitches with mine. :cool:
Good luck, whichever way you go - Safe shooting!

Never fired a HK. Love my Walther in 40.

I have a problem pushing the gun toward the target as I fire, hence all of my shots are 6" low at 15 yards. I get totally fed up the other day, brace the gun on the shelf, fire 3 quick rounds, all the holes were touching in the ten ring. I love this gun.

I just got the Walther P99 in .40 this past week end. I wanted the 9mm but the dealer only had the .40 The limited shooting I did with it this past week end has me impressed! No malfunctions of any kind and the accuracy was as good as my accurized 1911! Only tired two brands of ammo, Speer Blazer and Mag-Tech. Both where 180gr. Really want to try some 155gr. Was not going to reload for this caliber but with accuracy like this with cheap factory ammo, I now find I want to reload for it just to see how accurate it can be!

Well - the Walther is a very nice pistol... there are a couple nit-picks...
The polymer recoil spring guide rod... should be metalic of some sort I would believe...
The HK has internal recoil dampening - firing brisk loads is easier in the HK... Also with the HK, the decock is where is should be... not on top of the slide.

Other than that - the P99 is a very nice gun. I like changeable grip profiles... a lot.

The Walther has kind of an odd trigger pull. It takes a little getting used to. My friend handed me his one day. I did not know anything about the trigger pull, and the first shot didn't even hit the paper. The subsequent shots were very accurate, once I knew what the pull was like.

P99 - USP?

I have used both. The Walther uis a fine weapon, but the H&K is a real combat piece. The H&K has been designed to cycle even when covered with mud. The Walther design is just a bit too complex to be as reliable. I have found both to be equaly accurate. I like the manual of arms on the H&K better... decocker, safety, very easy to cross-train the 1911.

Get the H&K Compact.

Ben

I own both and prefer the H&K...but...my H&K is
the Tactical...thus I may not be giving you a fair
eval. I like and shoot my P99 it's a 40 cal
accurate, simple (very similar to a Glock), and it's
the sporty'st LOOKING IMHO.
You will not go wrong with either! Better yet,
put one or the other on your list for later!

George, Sprinco has recoil reducers for the P99 now. I don't think it's listed on their site, so you'd have to ask for them. I like the decock fine where it is.

P99 has been replaced by P990
The P990 is a refinement of the P99 design which offers Walther´s Constant Pull Trigger System specifically designed as a selfdefense pistol for law enforcement and appropriately trained civilians, the P990 is designed to eliminate significant differences in trigger pull between the first and subsequent shots.

I go with the H&K. I had a P99 and was not that impressed with its reliability. Combat Tupperware the P99 is not. Glock is much superior. :D

I sat corrected on the P990.

P990 is not a replacement of P99, just a "refinement" on the trigger system.

But I still think the Glock is far superior to Walther in the "Combat Tupperware" category.

H&K is always good. :cool:

Trip to the range last weekend could have compared all three if not for the one amongst us with the HK cancelling at the last minute. P99 compared to Steyr M40 both in 40... Much higher axis results in a lot more wrist snap with the recoil than the M40. I can never remember all the different placements for things like the decocker, mag release etc. from one months shooting trip to the next. I own the Steyr and like it, but it to has an unnatural safety.

Can somebody tell me who makes a gun with the following attributes...
GLOCK RELIABILITY
STEYR SIGHTS AND LOW BORE AXIS
WALTHER GRIPS
BERETTA/CZ SAFETY/DECOCKER/CAPACITY
CZ PRICE

I'D BUY ONE.

JFree- HK is my choice by far.My P99 Walther 9mm is not dependable,trigger lets off at different stages during firing,requires a recoil spring change when using 124gr ammo,warrantee now handled by S&W,etc. etc. etc.HK is lifetime warrantee if purchased new,and to me a far superior product.Maybe JAMES BOND looks better with a P99, but i'm not a movie star. I never take the P99 to the range anymore,and am still waiting for the used prices to go up a little so I can dump it without having to give it away.When that day arrives i'll add another HK to my collection.

I own an example of both, and I don't believe either one is "better" than the other. It's a Ford vs Chevy debate at best. Both handguns are state-of-the-art firearms produced with high-quality materials by firms with well-known and well-deserved reputations for producing world-class handguns.

Decide which one fits you best. The USP .45 full-size model is a rather large beast, somewhat bigger than the .40 model and quite a bit bigger than the Walther in either caliber. The USP .40Compact is about the same size as the Walther .40, if that enters into your deliberations.

Both are accurate, reliable handguns that will last forever if taken care of.

Find the one that fits your hand and budget. Relax. Either one will serve you well.

Better yet, buy 'em both!

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC

Back