Walrus ivory grips for my Blackhawk?

I don't think you're going to get a brand-spankin'-new .30 Carbine Blackhawk for less than $600.

Last I seen, Bud's had 'em for $520 with free shipping. My LGS has 'em for $549. Folks put 'em of 'em on Gunbroker for $599 and no one is buying. Ruger's list is $669 and Ruger's list is always way over selling price. If you can't get one for under 6 bills, you ain't lookin' very hard.

But, there's no reason for ANYONE to own more than one ugly gun - the rest should be beautiful.
My "purdy" guns don't shoot any better than my ugly ones. In fact, some of the ugly ones out shoot the others!
But like I said before, my guns are for shootin', not lookin'.:D

My revolvers are for shooting, packing, hunting, plinking, ogling and fantasizing. They are a romantic connection to the past. An artistic expression and a more elegant means of accomplishing a task. :)

There are fed rules regarding ivory.

However, I believe Walrus Ivory is exempt. The reason being, the Alaska natives on the Bering Sea, depend on walrus for food.

There are few jobs in the villages and a lot of these people supplement their meager incomes carving Ivory.

I'm not sure about the rules for non-natives possessing raw ivory, but if its been carved and sold by natives its legal.

I was the XO of the AK NG Native unit on St. Lawrence Island. When I left I was presented with a carved Ivory Hunting Village, mounted on a vertebra of a whale. When the feds adopted their ivory rules I was concerned about my "village" but found, since it was walrus ivory (not too many elephants in Alaska) and carved by natives it was legal.

If one is concerned about the grips being slick, they could engrave the grips which would help a lot.

Its been a long time since I lived with the natives on the Bering Sea, and lost my contacts, but I wouldn't mind getting a set of grips carved for a couple of my revolvers.

My village:

ivory1.jpg

Back