Walmart: Raising minimum age to 21.

Some discrimination is more equal than others. If you discriminate amongst people according to sex, federally recognized racial designation, or being over 40 but less than 70, you are a bad person and you should feel terrible. If you discriminate amongst people according to cholesteral, BMI, or their submission to campus-style speech codes, you are a forward thinking hero.

The process by which we pick approved victims isn't entirely intuitive.

We can all argue that 18 is the legal age at which an individual is an adult. The right to vote and serve in the military (or the obligation to serve if drafted) being primary examples. We also don't have any reluctance to try 18 year olds as adults when charged with a crime. Yet we refuse them the right to drink alcohol legally, and set higher age limits to hold many elected positions, among many other things.

Why the dichotomy? I believe it is because we all recognize that there is a difference in maturity between an 18 year old and someone a few years older. Ask an actuary why auto insurance is so much higher for an 18 year old or a physician about brain development if you doubt this.

Does that mean there should be limits on gun ownership for 18 year olds? I don't know, but I don't think we can just dismiss it either. I think it is a conversation worth having and for the reasons listed above I support a business's right to limit what they sell to kids. That doesn't mean I agree or will support them with my dollars. The market will decide if they are right or not.

Last edited:
I wonder if the people promoting this restriction realize that they're disarming all the young women under 21 as well. "If she's under 21 she's unarmed" isn't a message I'd like my business to promote.

Is this a form of age discrimination? If walmart can refuse to sell to any one under 21. What if they refuse to sell to a woman or African American customers.

Now a military vet come home, 20 years old and maybe purple heart to boot. He is not good enough to buy a box of ammo? I know, preaching to the choir. I would hope.

I get surveyed all the time

So I sighed up for E-Rewards...as a frequent flier I added thousands of air miles as I answered surveys in my free time
Common theme for most retail type surveys is to have spread all through out questions about if I thought a company was Eco friendly , earth friendly, low pollution, socially responsible.....

Major corps have noticed a large segment of the population will not buy or will buy for some company based on how they FEEL about the company

Dick's made a good business decision... tick off very few gun buyers (in their chain) vs millions of soccer moms...

Delta IMO blew this one...SouthWest and American win...

Not too sure if Wally World should have kept quiet or not...I am a customer and in my brief travels around the USA and frequently going to WalMart....it seem to me they may be more like Delta than Dick's----Very broad customer base....

WalMart is likely to tick off as many typical frugal customers as attract more of the Socially conscious buyers.... who from my Texas view point...would rather shop Whole Foods type places..

There was an insurance industry article in my email in box this morning, explaining why these companies are taking such stands as this, or to abandon partnerships with the NRA.

The major reason is that 'the fear of economic harm by angry or disappointed stakeholders - called reputational risk - is much greater' now. Costs of 'reputational damage' have risen almost 500% over the past few years.
The goal of these risk management, financing and transfer strategies, is to "diffrentiate ethically responsible companies and ethical dutiful board members from their peers when reputational crises hit."

Only at the end of the article does the author make a reference to "companies need...to do the right thing...."

Its obviously economic reasons than actual politically motivated.

It is a little amusing to see all the ranting. Lest you forget:

Walmart was late to the game in 1993 when it decided to stop selling handguns. Other major retailers such as Sears and J.C. Penney had pulled firearms from their shelves years earlier, as the New York Times reported at the time.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ming-more-restrictive/?utm_term=.4cab91049db4

Remember when they cut out firearms sales in many stores?

What else is new?

When I was a kid, Macy's in NYC had barrels of WWII surplus long arms for sale - cheap. Do they now?

Back