Wally World 9mm Deal

You are right about relaods... but there are times... Like going to class. Many of the classes I have taken recently require a percentage of the class to be shot with full factory hardball ammo. So, finding good deals on the stuff and stockpiling it is ALWAYS a good idea. I tend to keep several thousand factory rounds in each calibur stored away.... just in case. I never can seem to leave the reloads around that long... They seem to just get shot so much faster. I seem to only have 700-800 rounds of that lying around at any point in time. :)

The J&G Sales WOLF .45 ACP at 119.90 per 1000 is about the best I have seen for factory hardball. No left over brass... but so many of these things tend to be lost brass matches anyway...

Bubba

Just found this deal myself...put a 100 round box through my G17 yesterday and it seems pretty good. Think I may have to go grab some more...

Hey Everyone,

I got the deal on the PMP ammo from Century Arms(www.centuryarms.com). Century sells primarily to dealers but will sell non-firearms to everyday citizens as well.

The deal I got was a one day special (they have those periodically and since I have my C&R FFL on file with them they include me on the e-mail special list). However, their regular price for 1000 rounds of PMP delivered is something like $109, which is still cheaper than anywhere else I've seen for non corrosive reloadable 9mm.

They do require that you fax them a copy of your driver's license so that they can make sure you aren't some 12 year old ordering the ammo.

I get 1000 Rem. fmj 115gr. from Midway for $48, including shipping. Add $.012 per round for a primer, and $.015 for powder. That's about $3.50 a box, for me.

Even in the small quantities I buy in, per round reload costs:
$.000 for previously fired brass
$.090 for a good Nosler 115 JHP,
$.018 per primer
$.009 for powder.

That's about $5.60 a box of 50, for clean-burning, Jacketed Hollow Point (not ball) - tuned to my gun and situation! Chop that price in half for plain 'ole FMJ.

BUT, 9mm brass doesn't last forever, and everyone needs good cheap stuff to just blast away with. So think about reloading, but keep posting the good deals.

Academy Sports, a chain in the Southeast, carries Winchester white box 115 gr 9mm for $6 a box (of 50) every day. I stock up on a box or two every time I stop in.

shiroikuma: As you can see from some of the other posts, the cost of reloaded ammo is highly dependant on what bullet you use. You can go as far as to cast your own bullets from scrap wheelweights and tin. That would be the cheapest. Probably next up from that would be commerically cast bullets, then copper plated cast bullets, and finally jacketed bullets. By the way, these cast bullets whether commercial or homebrew shoot just as well and sometimes better than anything else. To me, it doesn't make much sense to shoot premium hollow points at paper targets and junk very much (it certainly does make sense when you are trying to duplicate your defense loads however). This, by the way is another aspect of reloading that shouldn't be missed. Let's say that you want to use Remington Golden Saber (or what ever) in your carry gun. These are usually sold in boxes of 20 and command a premium price. If you reload, you can buy a box of factory, shoot them through a chronograph, then buy golden saber bullets (or what ever) in bulk from Midway and load exact duplicates of your defense load for a tiny fraction of what the factory ammo costs. You can now affford to shoot thousands of rounds of your defense ammo; same recoil, same point of aim, same feeding through the mag etc. Especially for 9mm, I assume the brass to be free, because every time I go out to shoot, I find 50 or so that factory ammo shooter leave lying there. So it is free, I have many many thousand I have picked up. To answer your question, I calculated my cost for a box of 50 9mm rounds to be $2.43. That price includes all associated costs including shipping, sales tax etc. There is nothing wrong with shooting factory ammo and some of the prices you guys are getting make it a lot more palatable. I am just pro reloading and like to see people discover another aspect of gun ownership.

Wow, I'd always understood costs to be about$5 a box reloadiing minimum. I asked a friend whos dad has a reloader. I live in AK so maybe shipping costs add a lot. At $5 a box considering the start up costs buying factory 9mm seems a better deal at $7.50 a box of 50. Now if I had a 45-70 i'd rethink that. Still if you can reload for $2.50 a box of 50 I might have to consider reloading again.

shiro

444 raises a good point. My reload cost is high because I choose (however foolishly!) to shoot better bullets most of the time, and I am able to do so because my JHP reload price is competitive with low-end retail FMJ.

On a cost-only basis, I could buy satisfactory factory ball at, or close to my JHP reload cost and save myself the "hassle" of reloading. However, my reloads are tuned to my gun, and hence shoot better. And I don't always load for full power, making for a much more pleasant range experience. Can't put a price on that.

Once you start getting into the larger calibers, particularly the magnums, you really start to see a huge savings in reload cost. I couldn't afford to shoot my .357 or .44 all that often if I didn't roll my own. And the rifles? No contest.

But, like I said earlier, brass don't last forever. And I enjoy getting a good deal on a batch of ammo, shooting it, and then reusing the brass. Working through a tin of surplus .45 acp right now....

Reloading is a hobby for me. But I realize it isn't for everyone, and I certainly don't condemn anyone who doesn't do it. And I definitely admire those who can afford not to!

check out http://www.midwayusa.com this is where I buy most of my loading components, that I don't get locally. Their prices include shipping, and if you don't live in the state they do business in, there is no sales tax. You can get a lot of good deals in buld bullets from them. I can't say that they are the cheapest, but they are easy to do business with and I know they are reliable.

Back