Wailin' with the Whelen

So... I finally got around to putting a Timney trigger in the aforementioned 77 Mk II in 7x57mm.
Removing that front action screw had me more worried than I ever have been with any rifle that wasn't already a beater, or something that came to be as a basket case.
It was not moving.

I was right on the edge of the maximum amount of torque I was willing to apply to that screw, when something finally snapped.
I wiggled the screwdriver a bit, to see if the head had sheared. No.
So, I went back to attempting to remove it.
It was stiff, and felt cross-threaded, but was coming out.

End result: Someone had dipped the entire threaded portion of the screw in red loctite.
Now I'm more scared than ever! ;)

anyone removed the action from a Hawkeye have any advice on best way to remove the main angled bolt? I'm really worried about stripping the bolt head.

They make cordless screwdrivers/bit drivers or whatever you call 'em, that are also impact drivers. Just like an impact wrench on a smaller scale. I have not tried it yet, but my brother the bike mechanic swears you can remove any screw or bolt with one, without worry of stripping or breaking it. It sounded like a fantastic idea to me.

"I found the 35 Whelen round to be an interesting round that filled a niche in 1925. But it doesn't do anything better than a 30-06 firing 200's only 50-75 fps slower. In fact the 200's from a 30-06 will pass it in energy within 100 yards and out penetrate at any range. If you want to surpass 30-06 performance with the 35 you need to shoot 250 gr or heavier bullets. Even then the difference is small."

Forget the 250 gr. bullets. I've shot elk with my .35 Whelen at ranges from 75 yards to 350 yards and every one was down and out. Those still alive when we reached them were totally unable to even try and get up and run off. It plain works. I'm half tempted to say, "If you haven't tried it, don't knock it." Oh, and that 350 yard shot was a drop right there deader than a doornail. Seems to me the .35 Whelen works just fine.
Paul B.

One of my elk rifles is 35 WhelenAI and been using 225gr AB and has Kreiger barrel 1/14 twist barrel. Gunsmith that done work is local here in Co and he's does few each year AI or standard so still some interest.

My Whelen is also an AI, which doesn't mean much in velocity (about 75 fps), but makes case trimming a lot less frequent. I get an honest 2620 at the muzzle with the 250 Partition, and don't need anything else, as it's a real killer and flat enough to 300 yds.

QCRmvJH.jpg

I took it to the Big Island of Hawaii a couple years back and took a nice Mouflon/Black Hawaiian cross at 9,000 ft. on Mauna Loa, plus a record book goat within sight of the ocean at about 1,500 ft. on the foothills of Mauna Kea.

mdiIg68.jpg

qr9HnTc.jpg

They make cordless screwdrivers/bit drivers or whatever you call 'em, that are also impact drivers. Just like an impact wrench on a smaller scale. I have not tried it yet, but my brother the bike mechanic swears you can remove any screw or bolt with one, without worry of stripping or breaking it. It sounded like a fantastic idea to me.
Thanks for that--sounds like a possibility though I don't recall hearing gunsmiths use it. :)

Back