Wadcutter data

but ive always been told, that to keep the same chamber pressure, when loading 38 special data into a 357 magnum case, increase charge by 10%

You might want to check several books. 10% isn't any kind of solid rule and different powders do different things.

Yeah. That sounds like a rule designed to try to keep velocity somewhere in the same ballpark, but it isn't succeeding very closely in the interior ballistics programs.

The only wadcutter bullet I ever messed with was the Lyman #358495 which has a crimp groove about 1/16" inch or so below the bullet's nose and a little bump on the nose itself. Sized at .359" and seated to use the crimp groove I ran that one and the "noted" 2.7 gr. Bullseye for years. Tried 3.1gr. of W231 one day as I was out of Bullseye and never went back. The load works very well in A S&W K38 and an S&W 38/44 Outdoorsman. 'll admit that load shoots a lot better that I do. :o
Paul B.

ive only finally gotten DEWC, hunter supply. Bullseye never seemed to give accuracy with speer HBWC at all, as special or as magnums..

The guns can be picky. I have a K-frame S&W that shoots my as-cast (no sizing) Lee Tumble Lube 148-grain plain base WCs into groups half the size of those it gets with commercial match wadcutter ammo (Federal). My old Dan Wesson V15 shoots both about equally well. Similarly, some folks get the best results with Bullseye and some with 231/HP38, and others do best with Universal or N310, or even Unique. Some find the primer choice makes a difference. You just have to try things out.

Every gun and ammo component combination has the potential to be different. Most are very similar (which is why loading data works as guidelines) but there is always the possibility of the difference being something drastically different.

ONLY shooting that specific combination can tell you if it is, or isn't.

That is the logic behind reduced loads to start with. What the book (or the program) says happens, is what they had happen, and what they expect you will have happen. It is NOT a guarantee of what will happen, in your gun with your components. Arrrr!:rolleyes: Guidelines! Not immutable laws carved in stone....

Only shooting your gun with your components in the combinations you create will show you what is actually happening. Once that is established, you go on from there.

Back