wad thickness

southernboy

Inactive
I was browsing the Cabela's website for lubed wads for my '51 Navy and I noticed that they come in .005, .010, or .020. What would be the better of the three?

Those are patch thickness not Wads, those are for use out of smooth bore & rifled muzzleloading rifles where the round ball thickness is taken up by the selected patch size to achieve the best seal/fit in the bore of the weapon.

This is what you want..

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0040401215359a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=wad&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=wad&noImage=0

Select .36 caliber "if I remember right about your pistol"

Just to emphasize what Raider2000 suggested: those patches are NOT for revolvers, they are for single shot muzzleloading pistols, rifles and smoothbore long guns. Use his link for lubed overpowder wads for use in revolvers such as your 1851 Navy.

if he is talking about those vegetable fiber wads. Heck i use them. On my walker. Thats the only way i can get 56 grains of Goex in her. The regular wads limit me to 50 grains. i cant see how you can get 60 grains in a walker. i cant. unless i go straight powder then ball. Just dont like to do that though.

wads

a salesman at bass pro suggested that i use cut up polishing cloths and lube them with bore butter or the like.... anyone got a suggestion, i don't want to blow my hand off. BTW my 58 went back to taylor's because of the conversion not clicking all the way and they will fix and send back:)

countryboywithgun said:
a salesman at bass pro suggested that i use cut up polishing cloths and lube them with bore butter or the like.... anyone got a suggestion, i don't want to blow my hand off. BTW my 58 went back to taylor's because of the conversion not clicking all the way and they will fix and send back

NO NO NO, the polishing cloth is just as thick as a cleaning patch "maybe" & when you compress the bullet over the Bore Butter saturated patch, it'll contaminate the powder underneath which can cause misfires..

A wad that is lightly lubed or better yet a dry lubed wad will not have this effect & it will also have the slight scrubbing effect that is intended to keep the bore relatively clean between shots & prevent chain fires.

without the wad I would suggest a grease like Crisco or Bore Butter over the bullet to prevent chain fires & to keep fouling soft.

TC makes shooting patches (for muzzleloading rifles, of course) saturated with their Bore Butter, and while they are greasy to the touch, I have used a couple hundred of them in my front stuffers without ever having them contaminate my powder. You can make your own, just remember that the excess lube should be squeezed out/wiped off before you go shooting.

Have you guys seen the price of these wonder wads:eek:
i would not entertain useing them, to me its a waste of$$$$$
i got me a large tub of crisco and a 1lb block of bees wax and
made my owen lube, it works wonders for lube on cylinder pin
& lube on the round balls.:D.

Any powder contamination you get with lubed wads won't be noticable. It will just be the powder that comes into contact with it. You can get a set of cheap hole punches from Harbor freight and some old felt and make your own.

There's an email address on the pages in a couple locations. No, it's not too good to be true, it just got started up and the website is still being put together, but what is there is functional.

I ordered their wads in .44 last night. Great price. I'll let ya'll know what I think. Grease is cheaper but the wads are oh so convenient, they also help me keep track of which cyl.s I have charged.

Well, I ordered some of his .380 round balls on Tuesday morning (1000 of em to be exact). He emailed me that he didnt have that many on hand; but would get right to em. I received them in yesterday's mail. Went through the some of the bags & didnt find any wrinkled or damaged ones. They all were shiney & round without any spru protrusion. Used them in a 5 stage monthly match today & managed to shoot a clean match - well, no misses anyhow - with them. From this limited experiment; I'd say that BPstuff's roundballs have the hits cast in.

Back