Wad cutters for .44 mag and .45 colt.

45 Colt Wad Cutter

I use a 225 grain and a 255 grain Wadcutter style bullet, sized 0.452". Yes, a true wadcutter. I took a S&W 29-3 pulled the barrel and replaced it with a 0.451" bore, barrel, stainless steel. I pulled the cylinder and bored it out to "tight" 45 Colt dimensions. Shot PPC with it for years. The 38 Special guys were really surprised by its accuracy.

Here's a pic of the rounds I recently put together using Penn's 225 grain full wadcutter. Shoots great from my 625-3 using 3.0 grains of Titegroup.

DSC02109.jpg

D.Nix, don't worry.

I'm a wadcutter fan, too ... regardless of the cartridge. There's just something about that massive meplat and a cylindrical projectile, that appeals to me. ;)

For my .44 Mag, I've been considering an NOE Tri-Weight wadcutter mold (also available in .38 and .45 calibers, and pointed versions). However, NOE's current lead time is about 14-16 months. So, if he doesn't have what you want in-stock, you'll have to wait a while. And, right now, he doesn't have any of the tri-weight molds in stock, in any configuration or caliber. :(

So, I think I'll end up picking a few weights of wadcutters from Tom's catalog (AccurateMolds.com), and have him cut me a 2, 3, or 4 cavity mold. (If you also chose to go this route, you could even have a cavity for a .44 and a .45 WC in the same mold.)

Some other options are NEI, Ballisti-Cast, LBT, and Mountain Molds (design exactly what you want).

Anyone have a load for 44 mag 200 gr WC? I've got some coming today and just can't seem to find any data on this one. I have 2400, Blue Dot, W231, Unique, Bullseye and Trail Boss. Thanks, Any help is appreciated.

Accurate Molds are top quality. Tom usually beats his advertised lead time and gets the mold to the customer quickly.

Make your own BTWC by loading a flat base SWC backwards. I think I read about someone trying this years ago and they had good results. The lost case volume meant lower charges and velocity, but they weren't concerned about that since they were only shooting paper.

But then again my recollection is fuzzy sometimes...

Back