WA State Pistol Concealment Rules/laws

Being a life long citizen (well, minus the one year in Virginia) of Illinois those pictures blow my mind.

Herein lies the problem. A citizen walking around a public market with a holsterd pistol should never, ever 'blow' anyones mind. It should be as remarkable as seeing a cellphone on a belt.

My one direct experience with a LEO in regards to concealed carry here in Washington was after our house got broken into. He was giving lots of helpful advice, I was answering questions, and at one point he asks, "So you're carrying, right?" (I'm assuming he'd looked me up on his computer on the way over.)

I told him I wasn't at the moment. He advised me, "Well you should, this is exactly what it's for!" ;)

Alas, my workplace forbids firearms, and I hadn't donned my weapon yet after getting home. He gave me a "that's too bad" kind of look.

I have seen passers-by in the wake of people who carry openly. Many people around Seattle, Bellevue, and the other major urban areas may react in disbelief, prejudice, and outright hatred. I've been there on one occasion when the cops were called. Two of my closest friends were actually scared when they found out I carry, and I'd known them for 10+ years by then. If you're out in the sticks, though, most people don't seem to care.

While WA may be an OC, shall-issue state, the average citizen is left-winged and has negative ideas about guns. My impression is that it's inconsiderate to display my piece, so I won't do so unless I know a person first. Or unless they're attacking me, but that's another matter.

Wolfeye said:
My impression is that it's inconsiderate to display my piece

I care enough about myself and I care enough about my family to protect us with the most effective means possible. I don't ever want to have to put my family through the occurrence of having to shoot a criminal. Remember 60%, the majority, of felons in prison interviewed stated that they would not attack a person that they KNEW were armed. If the fact that I carry a gun in a manner that has been statistically proven to DETER crime, rather than having to DEFEND against crime is "inconsiderate"; well, than I guess I am just going to have to remain the rudest bastard in the room.

In addition, to hold a belief that engaging in the act of bearing a firearm which:

1. Our founding fathers and ancestors felt was of such major importance that they added the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution,
2. The founders of Washington State felt was of such major importance that they wrote section 24 of article 1 of the Washington State Constitution, and
3. The legislature of Washington State felt was of such major importance that they enacted RCW 9.41.290 to protect,

is scary, inconsiderate or offensive, to me is absolutely reprehensible. If someone does not enjoy the fact that it is honorable for an American to display visibly the fact that they care enough about themselves and those around them to protect them from violent criminals, then maybe that person should seek residence in Great Britain, Brazil or Mexico where they will be welcomed with open arms. Not very well protected, but at least welcome.

While WA may be an OC, shall-issue state, the average citizen is left-winged and has negative ideas about guns.

I keep hearing that but I strongly disagree. By far the vast majority of people I've met in my dozen years in The Great Pacific NorthWet have been gun friendly. Even more so than folks back in my home state of Kentucky. Even some here who I was so sure would be anti have surprised me. And I'm not talking about folks at gun show or gun shops, I'm talking about people in the grocery, for instance I have lost ttrack of the times that the cashier at Fred Meyer has made a favorable comment to me while ringing up my magazines. Or the 80 plus year old lady at the yard sale who saw my Winchester T-shirt and asked me if I carried and informed me that she as had her permit since the 1960s!
Or the soccer dad type at Staples who walked up and said "Pssst, you shirt is up over your gun". After talking with him for a couples of minutes about open carry, he scurried back over to his wife exclaiming that THEY could carry their "other" guns since they didn't have to "keep them completely hidden". I mean these two had "the look" of someone you'd expect to freak out.

So whenever I hear about how liberal and left wing everyone is out here I figure they must mean about everything but guns.
In fact now that I think about it, I don't recall ever meeting anyone in Washington who was totally against guns. I've seen a couple of nutjobs on the news, but they were usually bleating about why anyone needed an assault rifle (of course the news story is usually about someone in their family being gunned down by the member of a rival gang). But I've never met one in person. I have meet three of four who didn't understand why people liked guns but they just said they weren't raised around them and didn't understand. But they certainly weren't anti. Of course I know they're out there, I just haven't met one yet.

Even when I was on jury duty back in June, the procecutor asked if anyone was anti gun, or if anyone believed private ownership should be restricted, of the 50 people in the room NO ONE raised a hand. And when he asked if anyone owned a gun over half of us did raise our hands.

So I say that the "average" Washington citizen is very much gun tolerant if not just out and out Pro-Gun.

So I say that the "average" Washington citizen is very much gun tolerant if not just out and out Pro-Gun.

Thank you BluesBear. As a person who open carries every day, I agree with you. I've looked behind me. I have yet to see a wake of disbelief, prejudice, and outright hatred behind me yet.

The person who open carries every day in Washington tends to find that about 95% of the people just don't notice or don't care, 4% are curious and ask and leave with a positive education or are already outright supportive, about 90% of the 1% left are against it and will give you a dirty look or make a comment, and about 10% of the 1% left will call the police (usually to only be told to call them back if they happen to notice anything illegal happening.)

I found this an intersting thread, having visited Washington many, many, times. I've been to Seattle/Tacoma quite abit and even more in the northeastern part above Spokane and I don't recall ever seeing anyone open carrying. I do see lots of trucks with racks in them up in the rural areas of Colville, Chewela, Northport, etc. I was wondering though, for you that live there do you find more anti gun feelings around Seattle (very liberal area from my experience) and more pro gun feelings further away from the metro areas?

I left WA several years ago, partialy because it was becoming so liberal (the over the top taxes and crazy traffic didn't help much either). But the population as a whole is very pro gun. I recall a ballot inititive some 10+ years ago that would have inacted some type of gun control, i think trigger locks, safe storage mandates, and magazine capacity were the issues it dealt with. it was CRUSHED in the generaly election, by about 90% of the vote. It was the largest margin in State history. Im not ever sure how they got enough valid signatures to get this on the ballot in the first place, given the end result.
WA is also the first State to have 'shall issue' CCW, starting in 1963. No training required, no $100+ fees, and not many places you can't carry. So while WA is pretty liberal, its also pretty gun friendly

I was wondering though, for you that live there do you find more anti gun feelings around Seattle (very liberal area from my experience) and more pro gun feelings further away from the metro areas?

I would say that open carrying in an urban area such as around Seattle/Tacoma/Spokane provides more opportunity for education because of the different situations likely to be encountered.

I don't think you will find any greater percentage of people against firearms in a rural vice urban setting. I think what you will find is a greater number of anti-s because of the density of population. I also think you will find a greater questioning of the legality of open carry in the various situations unique to the urban environment.

For instance, on public transportation. I was approached at the light rail stop outside the Tacoma Dome by a young lady. She exclaimed in a loud voice, "Is that a gun?" I answered yes. She asked, "Is that legal?" I explained all the statutes to her. She replied, "Wow. I didn't know you could do that. That is so cool! Do you have to be 21?" I told her about the age limits and she said, "Wow, I am going to have to see about getting one when I can carry it when I turn 21!"

My experience has been that there is not a greater percentage of people that are anti.... just more likelihood of running into them because of the population density.

NavyLT said:
Remember 60%, the majority, of felons in prison interviewed stated that they would not attack a person that they KNEW were armed.

:eek: You do know that statistic also means: 40% of felons in prison will attack a person that they KNEW were armed? I'm not making a point here I just saying...

Two states in one

The costal metro area is very much in line with national liberal attitudes about guns. Rural areas are more traditional (today called conservative). The eastern half of the state is very much more gun friendly.

The "dry side" still has a lot of old west attitude, compared to the rest of the state.

God bless Seattle, may it rust in peace.

ET. said:
You do know that statistic also means: 40% of felons in prison will attack a person that they KNEW were armed? I'm not making a point here I just saying...

Bravado is easy to muster both on the internet and in an interview. How many of that 40% would truly face getting shot at in real life?

In addition those left over never specified that they would choose a visibly armed target over a target not visibly armed. If felons say that one who is known to be armed will deter 60% of them then why not go with the odds? The other 40% certainly won't be deterred by a gun carried concealed or no gun at all; and, given the choice between two targets, I'll bet they are going to pick the one that they do not know has a gun.

The "dry side" still has a lot of old west attitude, compared to the rest of the state.

God bless Seattle, may it rust in peace

Amen brother ;)

I used to work at a hardware store and it wasn't common but every once in a while you would see someone OCing. Most of the time no one noticed or didn't say anything. A couple of times I asked my cashiers if they noticed anything unsual about their last customer. They said no, I said you didn't notice the handgun on his waist?. I usually got a blank stare.

ET & Support_and_Defend

I'm not sure that is what the stats say. The 40% undeterred by a armed citizen, may have had other responses. Survey instruments are sometimes tricky things to get reasonable results.

perhaps the 40% of convicts interviewed;

Did not answer the question posed.

Were unsure of what they would do.

Did not understand the question asked.

One thing for sure, if you open carry, your head needs to be in the game AT ALL TIMES. Hand full of bags, reaching down to pick up the purse that the pretty girl with the wonderful smile just used as a stall to make you think about other things. If you choose to advertise, be very good and be ready for whatever comes.

Good Luck & Be Safe

Last edited:
One thing for sure, if you open carry, your head needs to be in the game AT ALL TIMES. Hand full of bags, reaching down to pick up the purse that the pretty girl with the wonderful smile just used as a stall to make you think about other things. If you choose to advertise, be very good and be ready for whatever comes.

Why limit that to open carry? A gun shoved into the face of a concealed carrier or a hit to the back of the head of the concealed carrier has the same effect.

Support_and_Defend

No disagreement there, buddy. My comments were limited to my last statement, If you choose to advertise (your weapon openly), be very good and be ready for whatever comes. I suppose that there is some illusion that a well concealed handgun has LESS advertising impact.:)

Good Luck & Be Safe

Reactions to open carry would depend on the county.

I wouldn't try it in Clark County.

We don't exactly have the most reasonable and honest police department, district/superior court or corrections department.

You can count on a harrassing/prodding interrogation on the street at the very least.

Right now we are extremely lucky to have Rob McKenna as our State Attorney General. He has proven himself to be VERY empathetic towards gun owners.

He has gone on record several times in support of not only the 2nd Ammendment as it applies to the states but our state gun laws in general, stating that the Washington State Pre-emption Law prohibits locales from enacting contradictory laws and ensures that all locales abide by the same laws.

So I would think that any jurisdiction that harassed anyone lawfully carrying would have to answer for their actions. And right now, with all of the budget shortages NO Municipality can afford a lawsuit they can't win.

Since KcKenna shut down Seattle's illegal gun possession ordinance in short order I feel he'd have no problem rapping some knuckles for unlawful harassment.

great 1st post navylt

navylt is correct, you are NOT required by washigton state law to notify the LEO that you are carrying concealed while being routinely pulled over on a traffic stop as an example(some states require that you inform the officer no later than when you hand him/her your license and/or registration). If he/she asks you, you obviously must be honest and disclose the info. I want to go back to washington sometime. this past summer we took a trip to northern MT and spent gobs of time in MT and lots more in northern ID area. We made it to WA&canada, but never made it much farther than newport,WA

"navylt" check this out(plus I guess this is still better than IL "madhatter".lol):

http://www.opencarry.org/ma.html (here is the summary which pretty much makes you scratch your head- ps-I grew up in mass):

Massachusetts

Summary
Massachusetts is not a traditional open carry state, but it is not a crime for Class A License holders to open carry. However, it is reported that some jurisdictions will use this as an excuse to revoke permits.

Back