Vortex Viper PST?

As was said - the SFP scope doesn't increase its reticle size with an increase of power. MOA scopes are a bit easier to sight-in more accurately(cross-hair to impact) due to the number units available. Example- One click(1/10th mil) on a Mil scope will move the bullet impact or cross-hair about a 1/3rd of an inch. Where as, generally, one click of windage on a MOA scope will move 1/4 in.(all at 100 yards)
Good point--with a mil mil at longer ranges generally I'm better off doing a hold-over as opposed to click adjustments as it sometimes ends up a game of going back and forth across the intended point of impact. My next 1000 yd + capable scope will most likely be a 1/8th MOA (with LOADS of elevation/windage).

I have two 12 FVs, one in .223 and the other in 6.5mm Creedmoor.
They take any single mounts made for a Savage short action or any two piece mounts made for a Savage.

Since the 12 FV has a hidden mag, you will need all the space you can get to press rounds into the mag.
I put two piece mounts on both of mine to keep the single piece mount from blocking some of the space above the extraction port that I needed to use to get the rounds into the hidden mag.

Because you have a 12 FV, I would recommend the two piece mounts over a single piece mount, since the 30mm Vortex Viper tube will take up more space than a 1-inch tube scope.

Good point--with a mil mil at longer ranges generally I'm better off doing a hold-over as opposed to click adjustments as it sometimes ends up a game of going back and forth across the intended point of impact.

Don't confuse the choice between manually dialing or 'hold-over' shooting, which relies on having figured out at what distances the smaller horizontal dashes on the verticle reticle line match target impacts at known ranges (300yds; 450yds) beyond your base zero (e.g., 100-yds) with the Mil/Mil versus Mil/MOA hybrid issue.

Known holdovers on the reticle can work with Mil/Mil, MOA/MOA, and the hybrid scopes. Holding-over and firing is a question of speed - whereas dailing up takes time which you may not have in the field. Shooting casually at the range or in some LR competitions is different, so you may have time to calculate and dail.

Holdover shooting is what you do when you don't have time to dail. Knowing your reticle's hold-overs is especially useful in hunting where a critter appears beyond your base zero (100-yds), since it may not wait around for you to dail.

In fact, on deer, hogs, and larger size game, it's even easier if you've previously determined the Maximum Point Blank Range (MPBR) of your particular rifle/cartridge combination. Say your MPBR for a 150gn 30-06 from a 22" barrel is 300-yds, the distance within which your bullet will not rise nor fall more than 3" either way.

Just plant the crosshair directly on the critter and shoot if it's within 300-yds. No holdover needed.

Agtman, thanks for the reply. Will have to pay attention to this next time I get around getting a new scope.

------

Ed308, thanks. Now I see how that would/is a pitb. Seems like I may regret buying the scope a little now, lol. (agtman, lets hope don't need conversion in field, LOL.)

------

BeeShooter, got it. Thanks.

Rimfire5, the Savage 12FV, does have a two piece mount. Unfortunately already have the 1 piece mount for the 6.5. But in another thread was asking for help on getting a new stock that allows magazine feed. Do want to convert to magazine feed for the 6.5 creed rifle.

Wonder if I can return my scope at Cabelas? Lol.

------

The scope has EBR-1 MOA and the turrets are MOA. That is considered MOA/MOA. I know may seem like a dumb question, just the talk about MIL/MOA, MIL/MIL above threw me off a bit. Thanks.

Mil/mil and moa/moa refers to making sure the measurements (subtenstions) inside the scope match with the adjustments on the turrets.

You don’t want to have an MOA reticle then have the adjustment turrets in MIL. Then you have 2 different u it’s of measure to learn. If you use the hash marks in the reticle they will be different then if you make adjustments using the turrets.

It would be like measuring something in inches then adjusting in millimeters.

precision_shooter, thanks for the reply. just from curiosity, are there a lot of moa reticle/mil turrets in the market. not looking for one, just as mentioned have to pay attention I don't ever get one of these on the next rifle.

just from curiosity, are there a lot of moa reticle/mil turrets in the market. not looking for one, just as mentioned have to pay attention I don't ever get one of these on the next rifle.

Actually, yes, there are many of these 'tactical' hybrid scopes out there (Mil/MOA) - so you need to check the manufacturer's tech specifications carefully or, if you're in a retail outlet, ask someone, before you buy.

That said, the Vortex PST scopes are pretty clear about whether they're Mil/Mil, MOA/MOA, or hybrid. And they're very good scopes.

Back