Vortex Viper PST?

ninosdemente

Planning on getting a 6.5 Creedmoor bolt action rifle. Have not made up my mind yet. I saw this on sale: Vortex® Viper® PST 6–24x50 Rifle Scope (EBR-1 MOA SFP reticle, 30mm) and thinking on getting it while its on sale for when I do get the rifle. It is $250 off.

Any pros/cons on this scope? It illuminates, which I don't mind. I have been looking online/videos but they don't give true reviews like you guys. Hopefully you can give me your thoughts.

Thanks in advanced!

I have a 6-24 and a 4-16, both are mil versions. I like them a lot. The illumination seems too bright, even at the lowest level, so I don’t use it. Other than that, they are excellent. I’ve used the 4-16 on quite a few deer.

In that price range it might be worth peeking at the Athlon Midas TAC. Companies customer service is identical...own the Gen 1 PST ( Which I assume is the one your speaking of) and have seen the Gen 2's as well....changed out the Gen 1 6x24 for the TAC and its a very nice upgrade even though they cost the same. HD glass which will surprise, great turrets/reticle and available in Mil or MOA. Zero Stop....the list goes on. They weigh almost the same. Eye box on the TAC is a smidge more forgiving. I moved the PST to my rimfire trainer cause its still a very good scope. Just a suggestion or option for you though. You will get great use from the Vortex.

Thanks for the replies.

Bfglowkey, the one I mentioned is Gen 1. I am not familiar with different brand scopes. I have two other Vortex. Which is why I am looking into this one. I could have gone with other ones, just ended up with Vortex.

The regular price is at $750 and the sale is for $500, reason for sticking with this scope.

I like the looks (laser etched turrets) of the Gen II's better than the Gen 1's. I just bought & mounted a Gen II Second focal plane Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50 on my 22lr - BSA Martini Mark II International.

Nino,
At that price i'd probably jump at it if funds allowed.
The Viper series are really decent scopes.

Be aware that at 6 power min, your probably not going to want to use it as a hunting scope.
I've heard people doing it, just not ideal.

That is a real good price for that scope. As for the 6 power minimum being a problem, that depends on where you hunt. I used a fixed 6 for years. And now, when hunting on open fields and power lines, I keep the scope on 8 power.

If you can wait and save up some more money--I would get a Nightforce. At first when I got one I couldn't appreciate why they cost more than most other scopes, but having used it for about a year now it's inherent qualities have come to convince me you really do get your money's worth with one.;)

I have the 1st Gen 6x24PST, ffp, on a Cooper Mdl 22, 6.5x284, a heavy varmint type rifle.

Overall I'm fairly well pleased with this scope. It has a lot of features for the price. The zero stop is not as good as higher priced scopes, like Nightforce, and the eye relief at highest magnification is not as good as well.

The scopes that are really superior, with all these features start at $2500, or there about.

The quality of the glass seems to be on par with Nikon and Leopold scopes that I have owned.

On my rifle I am required to use high mounts, 1". You may or may not need high mounts on whatever rifle you end up with. High mounts require a different cheek weld, at least for me.

IMO you get a good features for the money, but 50mm objective, and a 30 mm tube, may be higher and heavier than you may be used to.

Attachments

• DSCN0644edit 2.jpg
    DSCN0644edit 2.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
I have three of the PST Vipers in the MRAD but a FFP. Two are on 6.5 CM (both bolt and gas) and one on a .224 Valk. I think I paid $650 for mine. Great price for a FFP Vortex with the Gen 1 glass. I'll caution you, don't over tighten the mounts on the tube.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the replies. I did end up getting the scope. Have ordered the Savage 12 FV 6.5 creedmoor and waiting for arrival. Unfortunately the $500 was what I could save for scope.

Any help in getting a 20moa scope mount?

I have a Savage 12FV .223 but I got a two piece (Warne). Thanks.

I put a one-piece 20 MOA Warne on my savage 111 300 win mag years ago and it has remained rock solid through well over a thousand firings.

Trying to see which is the correct mount for the savage 12fv. Thanks.
Since the 12 FV was a Cabela's only offering you might not find the mounts using the 12FV nomenclature. Try 12V or 12F.

You may find them listed as fitting a round top Savage or accutrigger equipped short action (SA) savage. The latter is probably going to be most common and correct.

If not mistaken when I go pick up rifle at Cabelas, I believe I saw a Savage Warne mount, non 20MOA. I guess it wouldn't hurt to see if it fits properly, if so then would just have to look for the 20MOA mount.

Back