Vortex Scope for .223

For me (62 and crappy eyesight), at 200 yds, a 3x9 is not enough power to get decent groups, while 4x12 works pretty good for me. If you are young and have good eyesight, a 3x9 might/will work at 200 yds. I have 6x25's on my FV12's, but I intend to use them for prairie dogs out west. I have an mid 90's 6x20 on another 223, again for p dogs out west.

If you want to improve your shooting skills and groups, then get a bit more power than you think you need, you can always dial it back on the power setting.

A quality scope is more important than more X's. You get more quality for the dollar with a 3-9X40 scope than any other style. I've shot out to 600 yards with a scope set on 9X. I don't have any issues shooting at 200 with a scope on 1X or 2X. And my 60 year old eyes aren't perfect anymore. I do find that I need good glass now, whereas I could get buy with cheaper glass when I was younger.

If you move up to a 4-12X scope you'll either pay about $100 more to stay with the same quality; or if the price is about the same you're getting less quality. I'd rather pay an extra $100 for a better 3-9x scope and move up in quality.

You see the same thing with 50mm objectives. There are more negatives than positives.

I've found that within the same price range the quality of any brand of scope is about the same, it comes down to features. You should be able to find a 3-9X40 scope in the $400-$500 price range that will suit your needs.

Why would someone want to pay more for a 4-12x if the 3-9x is better as you mention? I sure as heck have no knowledge on this topic (or anything with firearms), which is why I'm here. So for me as an amateur, I wouldn't know this and would think the opposite.

First generation gun owner so I have a long way to go and learning as I go.

I wish I had known that my 5-25x scope wasn’t needed on my 6.5 Creed, I could have spent the same amount of money on less magnification...

I say get what you want. Both scopes are completely capable for what you want. I’ve had the 6.5-20x with mildot reticle, and it served me well. Vortex even fixed it for free when some grease inside the scope got on an internal lens and caused issues. Only thing is 6.5x is pretty high on the low end so I would go with the 4-16 personally if the cost is about the same.

Something that cost me a lot of money to learn the hard way, glass IS more important than magnification. I used to shoot “cheap” scope with high magnification, like Barska, Simmons, and so on. Now I’m not saying they arent decent scopes, just not in the same league as Vortex, Burris, Leupold, etc. my scope I shoot now is a Burris 5-25x50 and is FFP but I also have Leupold on some other rifles. Spend the most you can on the glass that looks the best.

The best glass will allow you to see those tiny .223 holes at 100 yards with half the magnification of other lesser glass scopes. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
The scope is a good buy if you consider that when you get a long range rifle you can switch it. Just don't sell the scope with the gun.

2-7 to 4-12 power should be fine. You don't need a 6-20 for 200 yards. The problem with higher magnification scopes is you aren't getting your best bang for the buck for glass.

I opted for a different scope. Next on the list is a 6.5 creedmore bolt action and scope. This one will definitely be used for past 200yds.

I'm with post #21 jpx2rk .l benchrest only with my rifle also ranges in my area are 200 yards max. Progressive lenses , went from a 4 - 14 x 40 to a 6 - 24 x 40 . With my eyesight I should have went with a fixed power Weaver T24 or T36 my groups are average 5 shot half inch also shooting with a Jewell set at 10 ounces . Looking to shoot small groups for target shooting only not hunting a good trigger set in ounces will tighten up your groups . Once you get use to shooting in ounces the trigger won't seem so light. If it don't rain on Sunday it will be my first day this year at the bench , I don't shoot in the cold at 71 I guess I'm turning into a wuss. Good luck with your scope , power & a good trigger works for me.

The one I purchased was a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-12x40. Bought it from a member here on forum.

I have been kind of eager to take this rifle to range. But was having such a difficult time finding the base. Cabela's didn't have anything for this gun although they sold this rifle at their store. (disappointing as mostly did see a lot for Remington 700. makes me want to think about this model for the 6.5 creedmore.)

After many fail attempts, finally was able to get a warne 2 piece rail from amazon. Which not very satisfied as the scope/rings are limited to adjusting due to 2 piece rail but I can live with.

Warne's site gave suggested the wrong rail mounts and ordered those online which I had to return. Did end up getting in contact with Warne rep and they said that they just noticed the screw size difference and were working on updating the site.

So finally after all this, will get a chance to finally go tomorrow and see how it goes.

Back