Virginia TFL Gathering, Sat, 01-27-01

I usually don't let George have all the fun without me, but this time it looks like he will! It's great to see TFL'rs gather together in common interests and friendship whether you are in Utah or Virginia! Have fun and shoot a few rounds for me! (I like them neatly in the middle thank-you.)

Hmmm...George, this retribution thing, that wee little Spyderco Wegner Jr. happens to be mine...I'd like it back safe and sound please with a rock solid alibi. =)300+

[Edited by Mrs. Kodiac on 01-24-2001 at 11:43 PM]

Hey, I'm trying to get somebody to cover for me at work Saturday. If I can swing it, I'll make the 7 hour drive to the Richmond area. I'll be sure to bring a 1911 for ya George.

Mike Irwin,
How the hell do I get there from Lancaster? I can get as far as Richmond with rt. 95. Then what???

I'll be there around 2:00 p.m.

Son, the street address of D&P is 106 Turner Road, Richmond, VA 23225. If you aren't a MapQuest user, I can e-mail directions to you. I used to live in Richmond and drove past D&P almost every day.

FYI (to everyone): I shot at D&P about 3 months ago. They don't allow reloads.

Son - It would be fantastic to meet you... Bring those famous 1911s! Shin-Tao regretably has Smith 9mm's... I cant make do with that...

Oh, Mrs. Kodiac... "Dont worry... Its Me!"

I'm still trying to find somebody to fill in for me. It's my turn to watch the MBX cathodolumiescence system this weekend :(

If I get somebody to fill in, I'll just show up at the range around 2PM.

COOL! I got somebody to fill in for me. So we're meeting at the range around 2PM right?

Now I gotta go buy factory ammo and figure out what guns to bring...

See ya tomorrow!

Guys, this particular range doesn't let you shoot any ammunition you bring. You have to buy theirs.

"insurance" reasons...

I'm the first one back! Now I'll just issue myself some shiners and relax.

It was a good meet and it looked as though everyone had a lot of fun. I only wish my 6906 didn't look so puny and bland compared to some of the hardware the others brought.

That Wilson 1911 with the big exterior extractor was kewl. It makes me want a Glock much less than before.

It was great meeting you kids.

Yes, it was good.

Every had a great time...
I was surprised with ArmySon's Wilson Combat KZ-45. I had initially dismissed these as unworthy. I was wrong. Dispite the Les Baer that was there - the KZ-45 was my favorite shooter. It's not a traditional 1911 by anymeans, but the KZ is a surprisingly good shooter. Accurate and reliable. This is well worth the asking price. I may have to get one someday.

I had a great time - and I was also reminded why D&P somehow always made me a little annoyed... But its the only indoor range I know of in Richmond.
We had 8 shooters there working 3 or 4 lanes... 155MM's shotgun was fun - hit low, but was energetic. Shin's little 9 felt anemic after all the .45s! Shin, dont feel bad - size doesn't matter, right?
:D

After the shoot, we all went to an eastern indian restaruant for spicy vendaloo. Shin ordered Nuclear Hot where the rest of us ordered regular hot... We feasted and talked TFL stuff for a good long time.
Shooting and spicy food just go well together.
Great day!

Thank you for the extra effort all you guys gave in coming out on short notice. This was indeed the highlight of my trip to Virginia.

Third participant checking in...

We arrived fashionably late and were worried that everyone had stopped shooting or, at the very worst, left. fortunately that was not the case, and we were able to join them for what turned out to be a most enjoyable range session...even under the influence of cold medicine and performance anxiety, I did not embarrass myself too badly, I don't think. Except for some slight incompatibility between me and a Les Baer .45 of ArmySon's --[hiss]if any of you tell them how bad I did with that one I'll skin you alive[/hiss]-- I shot okay.

Unfortunately for George, Vito's was too far away, so we had to settle for A Passage to India. Shin Tao was able to enjoy his customary tissue-searing hot vindaloo and I think everyone else enjoyed their food, too (Griz?).

Maybe by the next Richmond get-together, we'll have a floor and some places to sit and y'all can come by for a Shiner (or three!). Meantime, thanks for taking the time to come down here and shoot with us...it was an honor and a privilege.

Okay, I know at least two more of you -- uh, I mean one more of you -- is already home. Next post!

Well, I made it home in record time (5.5-6 hours). It's amazing what caffine and nicotine can do to the speedometer.

I want to thank all you southern peeps for showing this yankee a great time. It was a pleasure chit chatting and shoot'n lead down range with y'all :)

I'm glad everybody enjoyed the different firearms I brought along. I wanted to bring enough to provide a variety since I knew George was uhhhh handicapped by the airline with his pride and joy.

Next time, I'll know not to buy ammo before hand :) Duck Hunt did great with the KZ-45. She shoots straight and made one nice ragged hole.

Mike in VA, I would've taken up your offer to crash in Fairfax but I didn't have my contact lense kit along. Sleeping with them in is not a pleasurable experience :( It was great meeting you!

Here's a picture of George thinking he's a model :D

View

A good time, indeed!!

It was a pleasure meeting everyone, putting IRL faces and voices together. It was also a real treat to get to exercise some new hardware. The plastic Wilson was great, and the Baer, well, I now have an inkling of why people pay what they do for high-end 1911's. It's a fine tool, one that could shrink groups down from 3-4" to 1-2" with a bit of practice. Thanks, Son.

Friendships are built an hour at a time, and this was time well spent. We'll have to figure out a range day in NoVA when the weather gets better. Now it's off to life support activities(grocery run, etc.) , honey-do's and gun cleaning. Best regards, M2

I'm only here one more day... I fly back west Tuesday.

Thats a good picture of me ArmySon - I make that blue TFL shirt look good!

I forgot to mention my traditional John Woo attempt. This time with 9MMs. I used a Hi Power and a 9MM Springfield 1911 to good effect... After blowing through all the rounds as fast as possible Last Man Standing style, I actually had two hole inside the black this time!

George, against all reason, did attempt the John Woo again.

The disease spread and I tested the gansta palm down technique. It doesn't work, of cource.

Where's Griz?

Sorry for the delay. The bridge in West point was closed and I got home late because of the detour. Great time even though I was way late getting there. I'll know to come early next time. Yes it was good food too. Spicy enough for me (Gerbers hot sauce). Any body want to try rifles at an outdoor range next time? I'll look into a range at West point but we would have to do it when the weather is aggreeable. Great time and fun to meet you folks, Griz.

Back