vintage charter arms under cover

bspillman

I just came into a charter arms revolver, undercover model. from what i could learn from the internet it was made from 1977 through 1980, it seems to be built like a brick s@#t house, but i have no experience with charter arms. can anyone tell me if its any good. the serial number is #348163 and the barrel reads stratford Conn.

I bought my (now) ex-wife one during that time period, they are much better than the new ones IMO. Never had a problem with it, I often carried it as a BUG to my 1911. As long as it's not worn slam out, you got one of the good ones.

bspillman,
My current data base indicates that your UNDERCOVER was most likely made in mid to late 1974 - from the serial number - probably closer to the end of the year.
Test the lock-up - I think you be pleasantly surprised how solid these pieces are.
Make sure it's empty - pull trigger full stroke dropping hammer, hold trigger back and take a good grip on the cylinder - try for side-to-side wobble and fore and aft shake - anything? 8 groove rifling and unbreakable beryllium-copper alloy firing pin, shortest hammer throw and fewest moving parts of all the snubbies made during that time period. IMHO (having owned/owning over 20 various pieces) solid, well made and reliable guns.

I did the check out that i found on this forum good info. It locks up tight and the trigger is like butter. It feels like its built like a tank. I traded a sigma semi auto that i did not like for it. I have always like revolvers better than semi autos. I think i am going to get it refinished.

Solid gun from my experience. Have one in great shape I bought for $79.95 in my first year of law school - which was about all I could afford at the time. Have another my brother gave me that is about the same vintage with Pachmayrs. Like the originals better.

"$79.95"? That was a heck of a deal. Don't use any kind of +P high velocity ammo in it and it will last a long time.

It really was a deal. Sporting goods store going out of business in 1976 or 1977, I think it was. I don't recall if mine came with a tag not to use +P, but I've seen some that did.

I carried one off duty for awhile back in the early 80's, and found it to be a solid, well made revolver. I don't have any experience with the newer vestiges of Charter, but the older model that I had was just fine to protect my family, and me. I hope you enjoy yours!

The only 1st Gen CA revolvers rated for .38 SPL +P would be the "POLICE" models, which were 6 shooters built on the larger BULLDOG frames.

Even if Charter said the gun was "safe" with loads running above standard pressure the gun will have a short life if you feed it those loads on a regular basis. They are great little revos but they are rather lightly built. I do think the solid frame design is a step forward (like the early Ruger DA revolvers).:cool:

I have an early one as well. It was my original carry revolver. Carried it for years. Still in the gun safe, haven't shot it in a long time.

Any idea when my Undercover serial # 127XX was made. I'm assuming that it's an early specimen.

Yes, it's a good gun.

Only two things to need to be cautious about.

1) The ejector rod can come unscrewed, as can some of the frame screws behind the cylinder area. Blue locktite is your friend.

2) These guns are a "tight lockup" design, which means the cylinder is designed to be held rigidly in the rotational direction, moments before firing. This helps with accuracy, and is wonderful when it's running right. When it's NOT running right, the cylinder is held rigidly in a mis-aligned state between the barrel and firing cylinder bore, which means lead shaving plus the gun is trying to really tear itself apart. So you need to do the "alignment check in full lockup" section of the "Revolver Checkout" thoroughly, run milder practice ammo instead of balls-out +P stuff and continue checking the alignment every time you clean it or every 200 rounds or so max. Keep it in good shape though and it will serve very well.

This "tight lockup" process is much like a Colt, except that the Charter locks the cylinder at both the front and rear like a recent-production Ruger DA. There's a few areas of "Ruger similarity" to the design, although it's really more of a similarity to the Colt SAA that made it into both the Ruger and Charter DAs: the action parts "fork up into the frame" without need of side-plates.

The Charter design was always superb. Quality control suffered in the mid-80s and a few other times but you have one from the peak years.

LWC -
Your s/n 127xx (I'd really like the rest of the s/n for the data base) - was made very early on and most likely mid to late 1965. It should have the serial number stamped into the lower right side of the frame and have NO barrel address.

"LWC -
Your s/n 127xx (I'd really like the rest of the s/n for the data base) - was made very early on and most likely mid to late 1965. It should have the serial number stamped into the lower right side of the frame and have NO barrel address. "

The full s/n is 12751.
You are correct about the NO barrel address, thanks for the info I thought that the gun was made pretty early on in the Charter Arms history.

Larry

unbreakable beryllium-copper alloy firing pin

Umm know of two that broke their pins after heavy use. Anything man made can break. Still good guns if early models, wish I had kept mine but move on to the five shot .44's.

Those older Charter Arms were made to be shot with standard pressure ammunition.

I shoot with a guy who is an Wildlife Enforcement Officer. He is also a Marine Combat Veteran of Vietnam. I handled his personal sidearm, an older Charter Arms 38 Special. The crane screw had fallen out but he was carrying the thing in the woods coming across all those meth labs. He just intimated the druggies.

In time he upgraded to a compact Kimber.

Charter will repair newer guns for zip....and charge just a small fee for the older revolvers......i really like Charter firearms....best customer service ...period....

Back