VIDEO: Finest Bolt Action Battle Rifle in History?

RC20 - No, I am sorry man - introducing the superiority of a semi auto carbine in trench warfare, or the fact that an M1 Garand is obviously a more capable infantry rifle proves nothing in this debate.

The original issue was very, very simple: best bolt action battle rifle, OP thinks it is the SMLE, commence debate.

We are not talking about if a rifle won a war, if it was cheaper to manufacture, if it was more accurate. We are talking about the best implement of battle for an infantry soldier, with our options being limited to bolt action rifles. That the British got kicked out of Malaya does not make the Arisaka a better rifle than the LE - that is a straw man and completely irrelevant. Tactics are continually being confused with the debate at hand. No one has put it into an ideal setup etc - in almost every respect that really matters the SMLE is superior as a battlefield weapon, in those it is not superior in, the inferiority is so slight as to make no practical difference (accuracy maybe).

Your question about when the superiority of the SMLE has been used decisively has been answered, repeatedly, by myself and others. In short, the opening battles of WWI. You then list a bunch of examples of where it failed to be decisive in WWII, and claim that points to something (even though everyone contributing here, yourself included I hope, surely agrees that major battles in WWII were not won by rifle fire) when in fact it is an argument for precisely nothing.

Arguments have been offered as to why the SMLE is the best bolt action battle rifle - no arguments strong enough to stand on their own merits without attempting to confuse the issue have been offered by way of rebuttal.

Hmm, I can't say that I see the LE haven been proved the best overall, other than capacity and again I would have to see how an average company performed with it vs a Mauser or a 1903 to see if that was sustained.

Mechanically I don't think its been proved other than a slightly better rate of fire.

What I can say is that an M1 company average would sustain a better rate of fire than the LE.

So we take it out of context and grant it the wonder of WWI but clearly inferior in WWII (though fortunately on the right side).

Still seems to me that its context that counts.

So in Malaysia and the early Pacific war while it was vastly better than an Arisaka and well trained troops it still did not prevail? So does that mean even if it was a wonder weapons it made no difference and hence the discussion is purely playing mental marbles? Or does that mean the perceived wonder gun was so marginally superior that indeed a pretty shoddy Japanese force using superior tactics prevailed despite their inferior rife?

Me thinks it is relevant in that if there was an arena it could prove itself then that would have been it.

Africa should have been another one where long range riflery and the LE advantages should have been decisive (if it was indeed that much superior). My reading is despite being in a dug in position and knowing where the Germans were coming the Southern German attack came perilously close to success.

I begin to see why Montgomery moved so slowly. It was not that he was inept or anything, he just needed to have a 5-1 superiority to push a logistically deprived German Africa Coprs out of North Africa (push being the operative word not encircled and destroyed in detail))

Seems like an inferior K98 did pretty well then (well that and the pesky MG42, a bit of decent artillery and superior tactics with complete lack of air superiority)

Back to reality, marginal advantage here, break even there, a tad less good elsewhere. Pretty much a wash with other factors determining the outcome.

And per the op on the M16. Lovely superior precision engineering and machining, but it does not work in the muck and the good and sand like an AK.

Again, you can say a company armed with the M1 can sustain a greater rate of fire - for sure, I think we would all agree with you, but we are not talking about semi autos.

It doesn't matter if we are talking about the SMLE being a tiny weeny bit better or light years ahead of the pack (remember bolt action battle rifles) - this is a theoretical debate about which is the best.

I happen to think the SMLE is better than the Mauser by a fair amount and am convinced that in the last 5 pages of posts, strong, rational arguments have been put forward supporting that position - with very few strong, rational arguments offered in rebuttal. The fact that far more countries used the Mauser was a good sounding one for a while - until several posters explained authoritatively why that is misleading in this debate. Other than that, pretty much nothing based on the technical abilities of the Mauser/1903/Arisaka etc.

No one has said the Mauser is a bad rifles - indeed there is a reason most civilian sporting bolt guns are derived from that action. Does not make it the best battle rifle.

None of the examples from WWII you suggest are really relevant to this debate. Lets have a look at them:

In Malaya the British lost because of a complete lack of understanding of jungle warfare and underestimating the Japanese. The British were consistently out manoeuvred and often out fought by the Japanese in this period. This largely continued until the British learned that they could operate in the jungle just like the Japanese, once that happened they began pushing the Japanese out of Burma after stopping them at Imphal and Kohima. In Malaya the Japanese fought by launching daring attacks across difficult terrain, outflanking and out manoeuvring the road bound British forces, isolating units, sowing confusion etc. The Japanese troops were at home in the jungle - until the British and Commonwealth troops became comfortable fighting there too, the Japanese generally won. Of course by that point, Malaya and Singapore had already long since fallen. Far more to it that who had the better rifle.

In Africa it was not an infantryman's or artilleryman's war, it was a tankers war. The much vaunted (and proven effective) combination of MG42 and Mauser really doesn't matter when you are fighting a war of rapid movement across great distances, often in relatively featureless terrain, nor does the rapid fire of the SMLE. Even at El Alamein, the battle was not won by infantry (though they had to assault a strongly held Axis line) it was won by massive artillery support and armoured breakthrough after the poor infantry had cleared minefields under fire. Also, the British and Commonwealth numerical superiority over the Axis forces was nowhere near 5 to 1 - nor even 2 to 1, it is not like the Italians were not there. Likewise, this total air superiority you mention came late in the campaign. The Axis did not lose in N Africa because the SMLE is better than the Mauser, they lost because the Afrika Korps could not break through the British lines in Egypt before they were so logistically strangled that they could not stop the counter attack that rolled them all the way back to Libya.

Montgomery was not a bad general at all, as you say. He was hardly one of history's great tacticians and was hamstrung by an excess of caution. Really nothing to do with the rifle his infantry carried.

Again - there is far more to all this than the rifle carried by either army. Having better weapons for the battlefield does not mean one side will win. Germany was ultimately defeated by the USSR - despite having better individual infantry weapons and despite have better tanks pound for pound (based on individual use, not the fact that the T34 was mass produced).

I maintain that these examples have limited bearing on the debate at hand. The WWII context is way beyond the heyday of the bolt action rifle, tactics and technology had moved on. Air power, vastly improved artillery, armoured forces all changed the face of war to render the bolt action battle rifle a wee bit obsolete. The Germans adapted to the new realities by aggressive infantry training and basing a whole tactical doctrine around the MG42. The British issued as many Bren LMGs as could be produced. The Americans issued the M1 Garand. Even after these solutions, some of them stop gaps, were found the issue of what the infantry carried really didn't decide much in the grand scheme in WWII. The war was ultimately won on the battlefield by a nation that issued the Mosin Nagant - by your logic that should make the MN the best bolt action battle rifle.

Whether by a tiny bit or a huge amount, the SMLE was better than other bolt action battle rifles as an infantry weapon. There has still been nothing said that refutes the logical arguments over the last 5 pages and 120 posts.

EDIT - Krinko - you too have awesome rifles. I have never shot a No 5, they feel so handy though.

Last edited:
I haven't shot the LE enough to make a compairsion. I'm more into the US Military Bolt rifles.

But in this case I do know something on the subject and you're all wet on this subject.

And per the op on the M16. Lovely superior precision engineering and machining, but it does not work in the muck and the good and sand like an AK.

I found the M16 handled the muck and crap as well as any AK, beyond that the M16 has the AK beat in every catagory excluding the fact that AK is cheaper to flood the third world market.

The AK vs M16 is off topic, start another post and I'll flood it with proof you're totally in left field on the M16 topic.

02.jpg

I
n Malaya the British lost because of a complete lack of understanding of jungle warfare and underestimating the Japanese. The British were consistently out manoeuvred and often out fought by the Japanese in this period. This largely continued until the British learned that they could operate in the jungle just like the Japanese, once that happened they began pushing the Japanese out of Burma after stopping them at Imphal and Kohima. In Malaya the Japanese fought by launching daring attacks across difficult terrain, outflanking and out manoeuvring the road bound British forces, isolating units, sowing confusion etc. The Japanese troops were at home in the jungle - until the British and Commonwealth troops became comfortable fighting there too, the Japanese generally won. Of course by that point, Malaya and Singapore had already long since fallen. Far more to it that who had the better rifle.

What Jungle fighting did the Japanese do before Malaysia? Simply better tactics and more determined by there commanders (you will go there an do this and they did) as well as vastly more experienced in combat).

I don't bring that up to do anything other than demonstrated that it all goes back to context. It does not matter if the LE was the finest bolt action rifle on the parade ground or in an artificially contrived maneuvers environment where its capacity advantages looked really good but proved to be of no advantage in combat.

And yes its comparison in WWII should include the context, which include the M1.

The Ethiopians may have had the finest spears in the world but when they ran into the Italian forces armed with modern weapons....... back to context.

So, I will conclude (or maybe should have just stated in the first place), you cannot put out a statement that is out of context and have the following discussion be of any relevancy.

There were two infantry weapons that were game changers.
1. MG42
2. The M1

Everything and everyone else were so close on par to teach other that it was then tactics,

The LE was not clearly superior to all other bolt action combat rifles, let alone the context it found itself in. The Mauser action was superior (and if they had been intelligent enough to add magazine capacity easily on par in that regard. The LE action died with the rifle. It was a weak action that worked with a weaker cartridge and had no future. The Mauser action lives on and could be and was chambered to the most powerful cartridges.

The LE was on par with its contemporaries as far as a bolt action rifle but overall in combat it was not superior.

1. Its only superior aspect was it had some advantages in its capacity initially. After the initial firing that it was close to or on par with any other rifle as it took longer to fully reload or just matched its contemporaries.

2. The stock was a weakness and needlessly complex adding nothing to the rifle.

3. The bedding and accuracy was a weakness

4. The cartridge while adequate was definite below par with the contemporaries (note that it died out rapidly despite something like 6 million LEs built) .
The cartridge choice also dictated the associated machine gun choices and while the 30-06 could reach out to something around 5500 yards the 303 could not. Again context is relevant.

5. Sight were poor (though generally all were though the M1917 was good as was the latter 1903A3.

6. The head spacing was an issue, you can swap bolts around in 1903s with no issue but had to have the array of adaptors for the LE bolt head.

7. Lastly by thinking it was “so superior”, it meant no thought was given to replacing it and the British military suffered for it during WWII.

And lest you think I am anti Brit, I am not. They are a fine people and a fine nation.

They created some clearly superior weapons

1. 17 lb gun was clearly superior to the US 75 and 76 mm and it should have been adapted to the US Sherman tank which would have saved countless lives. People should have been hung over that one, and the British troops hugely benefited by that fine weapon.

2. You cannot begin to question how good the Spitfire was (though hubris found them trying to out turn the Zero and found it was not as good in that aspect as the pilots thought and paid for it)

3. The Bren gun was superior to the BAR (and balanced out the failings of having LE rifles just like the M1 balanced out the failing of not having an MG42 type machine gun.

4. Twice the British attempted to shift to a much more superior cartridge (270-280 caliber) with the 1914 and after WWII with a similar caliber cartridge that likely would have been a better cartridge than the 5.56 we wound up with (despite the statistic having an effective range out to 800 yards is worth the small cost in slight heavier combat load or slightly less magazine capacity as evidence by the capability of the 6.5 Genedell)
There was clearly some superior thinking going on as to the general overfill capacity of the caliber and range of cartridges used (granted that also would change the medium machine gun issues but that’s happened anyway)

Ok, I am done.

Its been an interesting discussion and I indeed learned a lot, but nothing presented has changed my mind. Some really like the LE and I certainly can respect persona preference but that does not make the initial proposal true.

;) LOL

This is turning into some history lesson but leave out the AK the M1 or the Garand. For goodness sake don't try and sell me the M16. In my day it wasn't the arm it is today.

243c48c2.jpg

Cheers
..MJ..

Last edited:
"...and the AK wins it period ad the best battle gun period..."

The AK is NOT the best "battle rifle", it is not the worst "battle rifle"...

Fact is, it is NOT a "battle rifle" at all... It is an "assault rifle". There IS a difference!

"Opinion is one thing, but to base an entire argument on the premise of "Well everyone knows it, so there!" is crap."

Thinking that something that is wrong is correct does NOT make it correct. If everyone thinks that something that is wrong is correct only makes everyone wrong...:D

"The Germans still had a number of FW-200 Condors that possibly could have been modified to carry a bomb."

No way the Condor could handle the load. Too many structural problems with the design.

"The FW 200 was the first airplane to make a non-stop flight between Berlin and New York City (1938)."

But not with a 9,700+ pound bomb...

"Possibly an even more capable German aircraft for that kind of duty was the Junkers Ju 290."

Better yet the Ju 390.

"...and had just enough range to make a round trip flight."

The fallacy here is that it had to reach the US...

It would only have to make a 1 way flight to the UK!

"Then there was the Me 264..."

Also could not make it with the load required...

The Me 264-2/Me 362 (a different airplane in reality) might...

T.

;) LOL

Hate to tell you this TimW77 but the AK is not a bolt gun either. I carried a milled factory 26 for three months in 1968 and can't argue with your statement much but the AK also did not serve in WW2.:rolleyes:

0e9c65a1.jpg

"Hate to tell you this TimW77 but the AK is not a bolt gun either."

MJ1, you might want to take a course in reading COMPREHENSION...:D

Then REREAD what I wrote. NOWHERE did I say the AK was either a bolt action or served in WW2.

"...but the AK also did not serve in WW2."

Duh, of course not and that is why I did NOT say it was. That is why it is an AK-47, it was developed/adopted in 1947.

Again, if you actually try to comprehend what was written you will see I was responding to post #105 and QUOTED FROM post #105.

"I carried a milled factory 26 for three months in 1968..."

Not impressed, when you have 1/4 the experience of someone such as Kraigwy then try to tell me your "war stories".:rolleyes:

T.

A thread entitled: "VIDEO: Finest Bolt Action Battle Rifle in History?" devolves into a discussion of AK 47s and Messerschmidts and you are worried about MJ's "...reading COMPREHENSION...", Mr. Tim?
I submit to you, sir, that there are better targets for your opprobrium here in this thread, starting with...yeah, you guessed it.
-----krinko

Necessary Enfield Photo:

401647900.jpg

RC20 - Fair enough, we can agree to disagree, it has been an interesting and enjoyable discussion. I reckon the SMLE was the best bolt action battle rifle, you don't. Nothing you have said has changed my mind, nothing I or we have said has changed yours.

I guess the different ways we look at it comes down to this: I think if you got a bunch of spear enthusiasts together, a discussion of whether the Ethiopians had the best war spears would be a perfectly valid debate - regardless of how fighting the Italians with them went.

Also, I do not recall you saying anything I took as being anti-British (few others had some interesting remarks, mind you) and certainly did not think your views on a particular country coloured your opinions. While I might not agree with your opinions, they are perfectly reasonable.

It has been fun.

;) LOL

Shooting my 7.62X51 Enfield. I have only gone past 600 yards once but it was worth the drive as this one really cooks out there.

b710bc6c.jpg

..MJ..

Long ago shooting match Springfield VS Enfield

My dad was a marine stationed aboard a " tin can" in the early '30's. He was on the rifle team and shot in matches against teams from other countries in Central America. He told me of a match against the British. He said the British were good shots, however, when the range got long (I think he said 600 yrds) the Marines started shooting better than their British competetors. My dad attributed the better shooting to the Springfield being superior to the Enfield. As a side note, this match gave my dad a bad impression of the British. Instead of socializing after the match the Brits loaded into their trucks and left. I think the normal course of events was for loosers to buy the beer.

I don't think anyone is disputing the Springfield is a better target rifle then the Enfield. I think the debate is which is faster shooting.

Personally I can shoot the Springfield faster but it looks like I'm in the minority.

Course it may have something to do with the fact that I've shot the Springfield a heck of a lot more.

Aye Springfield seems to be widely accepted as the better target rifle (never shot one myself).

Had a few Americans not know when it was their turn to get the ales in too - doesn't inform how I think of a whole nation of people though.

One additional advantage to cock on closing that I don't think has been mentioned...

All of the power of opening the bolt goes to primary extraction.

The British

Scouse: you are abslutely right about not drawing conclusions about a nation of people based on the actions of a handfull of people. I should have said it gave my dad a bad impression of the British AT THAT TIME. My parents made at least two trips to Britian and had a wonderfull time both times. They found the British warm, friendly, and welcoming, as did my wife and I.

;) LOL

I have shot with the British guys at Bisley and I must say in their favor the bar opens at 8 AM. They seemed a fair bunch till we hit a snag in the rules. Note to self: Don't grin when shooting in the mid 40's on the McQeens course for the first time.

Shot some cool rifles met some interesting people and picked up some nice things at the fair.

Back