Victory! Illegal Snooping Law Expires!

Again, check out the EFF case against AT&T, where all IP traffic was being diverted to an NSA tap. This was inside the USA.

You mean that is whats alleged......

Don't even go there; my wife is from China... the corruption there is unbelievable, and the police are largely unchecked. And didn't the Stasi basically investigate everyone? Sure, that's not the US, but it could be, and we've been treading the slippery slope a lot lately...
Today 08:37 PM

So in other words....rhetoric, no facts.

Here I'll postulate this....The vast majority of this unlawful "snooping" is against folks who have some articulable connection to terrorism. Got examples of the innocent being victimnized?

WildfactspleasenotrhetoricAlaska ™

Quote:
There is no constitutional impediment to the executive overseas

Clearly that is not true.

Note that the FISA law in question here involves warrantless wiretaps where one party is a US citizen inside the USA.

Which is categorically an international communication, not a domestic one.

Quote:
And the power granted to the exec is limited domestically only.

Where in the Constitution is that written?

Quote:
If you can find an overseas limitation on executive power in the COTUS, kindly share it with us.

The limitation isn't necessary, as the Constitution isn't a list of things the government can't do; rather, it is a list of things the government can do.

So you asked me to find something (a lack of a lmitation)in the constitution, that you admit would be unnecessary?

If there is a limit on executive power overseas in the COTUS, that implicates no citizen (since citizenship implies domestic issues), shown it to us.

If you realise there is no such limit, don't show us.

You mean that is whats alleged......

...and well documented: http://www.eff.org/issues/nsa-spying

Each of those has tons of links to court documents. You may find this to be of particular interest, as an example.

So in other words....rhetoric, no facts.

There are plenty of facts, if you bothered to pay attention instead of merely trolling. But you can't be bothered; instead of looking at the source documents, you just wave your hands and dismissively call it "allegations" as if that makes it any less true.

Here I'll postulate this....The vast majority of this unlawful "snooping" is against folks who have some articulable connection to terrorism. Got examples of the innocent being victimnized?

First, see above. Furthermore, since these are classified government programs (note the government's attempt to shut these lawsuits down with the "state secrets privilege") so it's very difficult to cite specific examples... yet if you go through the documents on the EFF site that I linked to above, you'll find them.

Second, I don't need evidence of the innocent being victimized. It doesn't matter! The law is an infringement upon privacy and the 4th Amendment, and as such it should be allowed to expire, or struck down. The existing FISA law is just fine (actually it's an infringement too, but whatever).

The Republicans are pushing this telecom immunity for a reason, and it's not just patriotism. Note how Bush claims the FISA amendment act is necessary to save American lives, yet he threatens to veto it if it is passed without the telecom immunity provision. Think about that for a moment...

There is no constitutional impediment to the executive overseas,
That's not possible. Since the Constitution applies to the whole of the US government, and in fact created the US government, at all times and places; the executive branch has no additional power outside the US than within it.

The executive may only do what congress authorizes, no more.

So you asked me to find something (a lack of a lmitation)in the constitution, that you admit would be unnecessary?
That's not how the US Constitution works. If a power is not listed, expressly, then that power is non-existent. The US government is granted power, it cannot lawfully create a power not granted.

If there were a constitutional impediment to the exercise of executive power overseas, it would be stated in the COTUS.
If the power is not listed, then it does not exist, it matters not where the executive is physically located or where the power is to be exercised. The executive doesn't have any power not forbidden, it has no power not granted by the Constitution. Again, that's how the US Constitution functions.

If you can't spy on foreigners calling the US, what good are international phone lines anyway?

This thread has given the issue more attention than the congress did. After revamping the cafeteria menu and scrutinizing the medical history of people who make a very good living playing a game, they needed a break.

Lighten up, Francis.

Pat addressed the Constitutional side of this discussion, but I wanted to refute this...

zukiphile said:
NS said:
Clearly that is not true. Note that the FISA law in question here involves warrantless wiretaps where one party is a US citizen inside the USA.

But earlier, in regards to the government violating Constitutional rights of Americans outside the borders of the US, you wrote:

No. Citizens and states have rights against the government, and the role of government is limited, and the power of the executive of that government limited by courts and legislature.

So which is it? There is an inherent contradiction in your positions. If citizens have rights against the government (inside and outside the country), then the Executive does not have unlimited power outside the US and the law in question is illegal.

If citizens were only to have 4A rights inside the country, this law is still illegal because it allows the government to tap, without a warrant, the international communications where one party is a citizen within the borders.

(Actually, the FISA amendment is worse, because it technically allows a warrantless tap on domestic communications that are routed internationally. So it opens a loophole which allows the government to tap pretty much everything.)

The only way your argument holds up is if citizens have no rights, period.

Seriously, people... FISA warrants are not difficult to obtain. Why short-circuit this minimal civil rights protection?

There are plenty of facts, if you bothered to pay attention instead of merely trolling. But you can't be bothered; instead of looking at the source documents, you just wave your hands and dismissively call it "allegations" as if that makes it any less true.

Thats all they are though, arent they...allegations...or is ANYTHING true as long as it fits an agenda?

First, see above. Furthermore, since these are classified government programs (note the government's attempt to shut these lawsuits down with the "state secrets privilege") so it's very difficult to cite specific examples... yet if you go through the documents on the EFF site that I linked to above, you'll find them.

In other words, nothing to show the innocent are the ones being victimized by "snooping"....

Thanks for playing.

WildlisteningpostAlaska TM

PS...I took up my metal efforts again and read the AT&T complaint to refresh my recollection of one of the most spurious lawsuits I have read since NAACP suing gun companies. Show me an allegation there that does not start "Upon Information and belief" which is lawyer speak for' "I dont really know and it probably isnt true and if Im lucky Ill find something but as long as I use those words I cant get in trouble"

Pat, the "people" referred to in IV means everyone anywhere in the world?

So the answer is yes, the US government is prohibited by the Constitution as amended from infringing upon ANY persons right to be armed.

Really Pat? Is it really your contention that when the framers used the word "people" that they meant everybody all over the world?

If so, please explain this to me. In article one the framers wrote "The House of Representatives shall be composed of members chosen every second year by the people of the several states." Since women weren't allowed to vote, its clear that "the people" didn't include them.

And yet you want us to believe that the framers intended for "the people" to mean noncitizens in foreign nations thousands of miles away when it didn't even include female us citizens.

Unfortunately not before John Adams was able to load the federal courts with their judges, including one of the worst Supreme Court justices in US history, John Marshall.

I'm beginning to understand where your legal perspective is coming from.

Thats all they are though, arent they...allegations...or is ANYTHING true as long as it fits an agenda?
I gave you a link to sworn testimony. Beyond that, it's classified and there's no judicial oversight. What more do you want? What more can you reasonably expect, when the entire program is classified?
In other words, nothing to show the innocent are the ones being victimized by "snooping"....
Nothing... except the sworn testimony of an insider. Oh, and the government's appeal to the state secrets privilege, which wouldn't have happened if this was all smoke and mirrors.

Wait... that's not nothing. Under the circumstances, that's actually pretty solid evidence that a serious crime has been committed.

Then there's Al Haramain v. Bush, where a government error gave the defendants proof that warantless wiretaps were used in the US. They may or may not have been innocent... but nobody was charged or convicted in court, AFAIK.

But again, on every level, it doesn't matter if I can show that the innocent are being targeted. An illegal program does not somehow become legal if it only targets guilty parties.

So I'm calling you out. WA, you're a statist. You'd probably consent to Big Brother's telescreens snooping in our bedrooms, if given the chance. (Speaking of agendas.)

Thanks for playing.

Likewise. :barf:

NS, you appear to be arguing a result, comprehensive limitation of exec power well beyond actual COTUS language, rather than a well developed position. Arguing a result is always problemmatic because it ultimately prevents its advocate from acknowledgeing the shortcomings of arguments in favor of the desired result.

Unfortunately not before John Adams was able to load the federal courts with their judges, including one of the worst Supreme Court justices in US history, John Marshall.

Interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS
Clearly that is not true. Note that the FISA law in question here involves warrantless wiretaps where one party is a US citizen inside the USA.

But earlier, in regards to the government violating Constitutional rights of Americans outside the borders of the US, you wrote:

Quote:
No. Citizens and states have rights against the government, and the role of government is limited, and the power of the executive of that government limited by courts and legislature.

So which is it? There is an inherent contradiction in your positions.

No, there is a contradiction inherent in your misunderstandings of those positions. Those positions are better understood when the surrounding explanations aren't ignored.

If citizens were only to have 4A rights inside the country, this law is still illegal because it allows the government to tap, without a warrant, the international communications where one party is a citizen within the borders.

Emphasis added. NS, if an international communication is intercepted overseas, it isn't domestic and 4th Am protections are not present. I don't think the distinction that involves is subtle.

The only way your argument holds up is if citizens have no rights, period.

You are mistaken. I advocate, and not just on message boards, for those whose constitutional rights are ignored. Understanding the limits of those rights is necessary to competent advocacy.

Do you think FISA amends the COTUS?

Seriously, people... FISA warrants are not difficult to obtain. Why short-circuit this minimal civil rights protection?

And you know this from the many FISA warrants for which you have successfully applied?

NS, I issued to you an invitation to produce the constitutional language that limits the execs power overseas.

Zuk Wrote
So you asked me to find something (a lack of a limitation)in the constitution, that you admit would be unnecessary?

If there is a limit on executive power overseas in the COTUS, that implicates no citizen (since citizenship implies domestic issues), shown it to us.

If you realise there is no such limit, don't show us.

That you haven't shown us indicates the answer.

Yep, they go to congress and whine about how essential wiretaps are to something called "national security". Then the idiots forget to pay the phone bills and their wiretaps get disconnected. Go figure.

http://www.shortnews.com/start.cfm?id=67584

"01/10/2008 08:42 PM ID: 67584
FBI Wire Taps Disconnected
The FBI has had some of their wiretaps disconnected by the telephone companies for the late payment of their telephone bills. This included some Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act eavesdropping.

Inspector General Glen Fine said, "We also found that late payments have resulted in telecommunications carriers actually disconnecting phone lines established to deliver surveillance results to the FBI, resulting in lost evidence".

Of 990 surveillance bills incurred by just five of its 56 field offices, over half were not paid on time. One telephone company was owed $66,000"

WA said:
With that, Al, lets say the call originates from the US to and non citizen in Dubai who has a telephone number listed on a laptop siezed at Tora Bora?
In this case, the feds are already monitoring that phone in Dubai. The feds already have probable cause to obtain any warrants necessary to intercept all stateside calls to that number. I see nothing problematic about this scenario.
nemoaz said:
Your understanding is wrong. If it crosses the border, the only impediments are statutes.
...And perhaps one or two Supreme Court cases that say otherwise? Which seems to conflict with:
It doesn't matter whether it's a letter, a package, your car, an email, or a phone call.
I'm not aware of a case in which the expectation of privacy, while on the phone, was limited to the national boundary, like those other items. Can you refer me to that case?

I'll grant that I may be wrong, nemoaz. But if I am, then what is all the uproar about? Where is the SCOTUS opinion that agrees with the Bush Administration? Why would the Congress get so upset over this, if there were prior case law, or even prior legislation authorizing and defining the scope of this issue?

The problem is not just in who is being snooped, but the fact that the government wants to do it with no accountability, no records, no opinion.

Going through a FISA court to authorize wiretaps means that there is SOME check that the request isn't inherently corrupt.

The argument I see here that "wiretapping is only used in international conversations" is wholly unsupportable without records.

So I'm calling you out. WA, you're a statist. You'd probably consent to Big Brother's telescreens snooping in our bedrooms, if given the chance. (Speaking of agendas.)

So thats your response to your lack of facts...ad hominems....nice:barf:

By the way I see another Snooping case got dismissed. Dont let reality get in the way of your agendas now,ya hear

WildnowyoucanhurlmorepithysnidenessatyourleisureAlaska TM

In this case, the feds are already monitoring that phone in Dubai. The feds already have probable cause to obtain any warrants necessary to intercept all stateside calls to that number. I see nothing problematic about this scenario.

What if they are monitoring here without a warrant....

Next issue: whats the harm involved.

WildissueissueAlaska ™

zukiphile, most of your point have already been answered by Anitpitas and Pat H's posts. To summarize,
NS, you appear to be arguing a result, comprehensive limitation of exec power well beyond actual COTUS language,
It's not "well beyond COTUS language." I'm arguing for COTUS language, which does not grant the Executive unlimited power overseas.
NS, I issued to you an invitation to produce the constitutional language that limits the execs power overseas. That you haven't shown us indicates the answer.
Pat H answered this one:
Pat H said:
That's not how the US Constitution works. If a power is not listed, expressly, then that power is non-existent. The US government is granted power, it cannot lawfully create a power not granted.
zukiphile said:
Do you think FISA amends the COTUS?
Of course not, but I also don't think that anyone in power these days particularly cares what the COTUS says, either. The Executive is apparently engaged in domestic dragnet surveillance and domestic/international warrantless wiretapping, according to the links I posted earlier. These are violations, yet they may get away with it due to the "state secrets" argument.

Also note my earlier comment about how if it's legal to tap an internationally routed call without a warrant, then it's trivial to tap any domestic call without a warrant, simply by asking the phone company to route calls through (for example) Mexico. And again, there's no oversight.

Seriously, this is Orwellian stuff... it's not quite as intrusive as the telescreens from 1984, but if this is legal, what's to stop more invasive surveillance? It's somewhat analagous to the Heller case, in that a loss here effectively means that the Constitution is meaningless.
Emphasis added. NS, if an international communication is intercepted overseas, it isn't domestic and 4th Am protections are not present.
Here, I'll quote Antipitas:
Antipitas said:
I'm not aware of a case in which the expectation of privacy, while on the phone, was limited to the national boundary, like those other items.

WA said:
So thats your response to your lack of facts...ad hominems....nice
No, that's my response to you ignoring the data I've presented (which, I might add, is far more informative than the... ahem... total lack of information that you've presented to refute it.)
By the way I see another Snooping case got dismissed.
Which one? EDIT: found it (Google to the rescue), the ACLU case, denied cert. on standing issues (essentially due to secrecy.) Nothing new here.

Whoops, I missed this question...

And you know this from the many FISA warrants for which you have successfully applied?

I know this from the history of the FISA warrants, which are almost never declined. And that they can be applied for retroactively.

Without getting into everything else that was said, if I remember my conlaw correctly, if person A calls person B and person B's phone has been properly tapped, person A has no 4th amendment claim.

Therefore, if someone in the US calls someone in a foreign country and the US is tapping the phone in the foreign country a warrant is irrelevant as the US citizen has no expectation of privacy in that phone call.

Quote:
I know this from the history of the FISA warrants, which are almost never declined. And that they can be applied for retroactively.

A low denial rate is not itself evidence that they are easy to obtain. I understand them to take more than a day for a team to prepare. If there is contrary information, I would be open to hearing it.

Quote:
NS, I issued to you an invitation to produce the constitutional language that limits the execs power overseas. That you haven't shown us indicates the answer.

Pat H answered this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat H

I listed the provision that grants the executive all executive power -- Art II, sec. 1. Neither you nor Pat have listed a single limitation on the exercise of that power against non-citizens overseas.

zukiphile Do you think FISA amends the COTUS? said:
Of course not, ....

I appreciate the candor.

If FISA doesn't amend the COTUS, and the exec has the power to conduct surveillance overseas, then any FISA restrictions on that power are unconstitutional.

And again, there's no oversight.

Then what has Jane Harman been doing on the oversight committee?

Robert Turer is a great source on this issue. IIRC, he worked with the senate in drafting intelligence legislation in the 1970s. He writes,

The real issue here is not whether the President is “above the law,” but rather which “law” he must see “faithfully executed” when there is a conflict between the Constitution and an inconsistent statute. I submit that his highest duty is to the Constitution itself, and that our real problem here is that Congress has forgotten that it, too, is subject to the “rule of law.”

When Congress passed the first wiretap statute in 1968, it expressly declared that nothing in the new law would limit “the Constitutional power of the President” to collect foreign intelligence information. Every Administration from FDR to (and including) Jimmy Carter engaged in warrantless foreign intelligence wiretapping.

In the 1980 Truong case, for example, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals noted that the Carter administration “did not seek a warrant for the eavesdropping on Truong's phone conversations or the bugging of his apartment.” Instead, it relied upon a “‘foreign intelligence’ exception to the Fourth Amendment's warrant requirement.” The court upheld the Carter Administration’s position that: “In the area of foreign intelligence . . . the President may authorize surveillance without seeking a judicial warrant because of his constitutional prerogatives in the area of foreign affairs.”

http://communities.justicetalking.o...2007/10/30/fisa-and-the-mukasey-hearings.aspx

Back