Veteran's Day...Give thanks

I don't have the words to describe my gratitude toward these people. A long line has served from my own family also, including both sides of the Civil War. All veterans are in my thoughts today.

[This message has been edited by G-Freeman (edited November 11, 1999).]

The sad part of this day is that to most Americans it is merely a day off. Paid vacation, time to go to the mall, play golf, go fishing etc.

We have the best example of our country's thanks living in the White House, an individual who was looking out for his own hide while less fortunate and /or more patriotic people paid the price.

I went to work today, because I run my own business and can't afford paid holidays. I will honor my schoolmates, buddies and those I never knew who paid the price in my own way.

If we really want to honor them, the day should be one where by law everything is closed. No malls, golf courses etc allowed to be open. Only basic life saving services. The TV stations should only show a flag flying over the Naitonal Cemetery. Radio stations should only play the National Anthem, military hymns and taps. Shut everything down....

....and it still wouldn't be enough to honor their memory.

I was a young idealistic 2nd LT once, waiting for the call to go to Viet Nam. They shipped me to Germany instead. I have always wondered why I was spared.

My uncle, a Marine Vereran of the WW2 Phillippine invasion answered me one year when I asked him the same question. "It wasn't your time" he said, "you are here for a different reason, and only the man upstairs knows what that reason is."

Sorry for the rambling.

Geoff Ross

My grandfather Sgt. Robert Demond- Company B 314th Engineers Combat Battalion Platoon leader WWII. In the begining of my Grandfathers 14 months over there their platoon leader was killed in an attack, my Granfather was next in line took over the rest of the platoon and got them all home!
Nra qual marksman.

My other Grandfather Sgt. Albert Hayes B29 Hurricane Hunters

------------------
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"

General Dwight D. Eisenhower-- June 6,1944
------------------------

http://www.homestead.com/gunrights/Guns_and_Gunrights.html

[This message has been edited by Kimber Man (edited November 11, 1999).]

To those who fought, and those who died,
And never once from duty shied,
We look to you with sadness, yet with pride.

Our heads held high, though tears do well,
at memories of your trials in hell,
You fought for us through many shot and shell.

In Arlington and Flanders Fields,
Ornate cemeteries and country fields,
You homeward came, upon or carrying your shields.

But some still lay in distant lands,
Can’t see our parades or hear our bands,
We pray for you each day with folded hands.

Each year we honor on this day,
All those who went into harm’s way.
In memory of your sacrifice we say,

We, as Americans, love you one and all.

Bravo Dennis! ... and DC for opening the post. Though in the 'other' America, in the south - we do remember them all.
To Frank Knight, Flt. Lt. RAF Coastal Command who survived and many more, some that didn't

Peter Knight

To Kevin Coulman and Tom Thorstad who along with 240 other some odd Marines that went to Beirut as "peacekeepers" and never came back. I miss you guys and I won't ever forget. Semper Fidelis and Rest in Peace.

To Frank "Dad" Baker: One of Darby's Rangers until their devastation at Sicily. Transferred into the Army Air Force and had two B17s shot out from under him in the ETO. The second time around only he and the radio operator made it out alive. Bounced around as a professional diver, a hunting guide, an ambulance driver and a football coach before becoming my high shcool history teacher. Dad Baker taught more than just history; he taught me about guns and hunting and about life. He also kept me on the "right path" when no one else could. I never had the chance to properly thank him, he passed away when I was in the Marines. God bless you, Dad. You were like a father to me.

I would also like to take time to recognize three of the "old breed" that have passed from the scene recently:

Marvin McMillan: Navigator on a B29 with numerous missions over Japan. I passed by the ranch entrance the other day, Mason County just isn't the same anymore. I hope they broadcast Aggie football games in heaven.

"Doc" Carlisle: Two Silver Stars as an infantry officer in Korea, one of the "Frozen Chosen". All the local Marines that heard attended the funeral, sir. We did our best, but you deserved far more. ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE.

Maj. Gen. Marion E. Carl, USMC: First Marine Corps ace, among the first to fly a helicopter and first Marine to land a jet aboard an aircraft carrier. Flew his first combat mission over Midway and his last over Vietnam, racking up 18 and 1/2 air victories in the process, mostly in Wildcats at Guadalcanal. Was a test pilot in the 1950s and held numerous speed and altitude records. A real, honest to God warrior and American hero who was murdered in his own home by some drug crazed puke that wasn't fit to live in the same nation that this man helped sustain. General Carl was a hero to the end, taking the bullet that was meant for his wife. The General was buried at Arlington, I was told that there were thousands of mourners. His book "Pushing The Envelope" should be required reading at O.C.S.

I sit here and review this and realize how rich my own personal life has been in having met these men and how blessed our nation was in having them in times of need. Good Lord, what spark of divine providence has steered our nation through the past two centuries with men such as these manning the helm? America is great only because God has blessed us with men of greatness; of courage, of integrity and of honor. I fear sometimes that we may well suffer the same fate of ancient Israel when they turned their backs on God and their true heros.

Please excuse the ramblings, it is late and I am tired. But I wanted someone to know that I still remembered.

God Bless America and the men who have served her.

Paladin

[This message has been edited by Paladin (edited November 12, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Paladin (edited November 12, 1999).]

For my grandfather who inspired me.

Nobody remembers you swimming across Pearl Harbor when it was attacked, but you told me, and I have your citation, and I will pass it on.

Nobody remembers you having two destroyers sunk from underneath you in the South Pacific. But you told me and will pass it on.

Nobody remembers your battlefield commission on the USS Nashville after almost everyone on board was killed or maimed. But you told me and showed me your scars and I will pass it on.

Nobody remembers you being called back for Korea only to be wounded in combat again, but you told me and I will pass it on.

Nobody remembers the radiation poisoning you received while bringing our Navy into the Nuclear age. But you told me and showed me your scars and I will pass it on.

Nobody remembers the little boy you held on your lap and told your stories, But I do, because it was me, and I will remember, and I will pass it on.

Now I look back and remember when I cried when they laid you to rest and nobody else did, they all said you were a hatefull old man and an alcoholic. But I know you, and I will remember, and I will pass it on.

To Grandaddy Byrd.
James "Jamey" R. Byrd JR. CDR USN
from
Matthew "DOCSpanky" W. Byrd HM3 USN

WE MUST NEVER FORGET THOSE WHO HAVE SACRIFICED EVERYTHING!

I ASK ONE MORE TIME...

"HOW CAN A DRAFT DODGER SLEEP IN THE WHITE HOUSE, WHILE A VETERAN SLEEPS IN THE STREET?

Back