Very Shaky hands after shooting

I don't remember uncontrollable shakes after a shooting session...actually I don't remember a lot of things. I do recall when I use to shoot against a pal of mine, the one who had consumed the least amount of caffeine usually won. Just a thought.

Interesting post; I have experienced the same, it happened on-and-off when I just started schooting handguns. For me it ended up being a combination of gripping too hard, trying to anticipate the recoil, and the effect of adrenaline. It all went away after a while, I reckon it will be the same for you. Good luck and good schooting!

At one time the accepted handgun method was to grip it to the point of shaking and back off until the shaking subsided.
When the modern method was developed of using a locked wrist and correct forearm strength, instead of a monster hand grip, the idea pretty much lost ground.
The two handed, thumbs forward, neutral style grip improved things even more.
Check out some of the online instructional videos and articles to see how to do them.
Betcha' your shakes go away real quick.
Start with this one:
http://www.handgunsmag.com/2010/09/24/tactics_training_combatg_100306/

Last edited:
This might not apply to your situation, but I know whenever I fire a gun I haven't fired before I get the shakes to a noticeable extent. However, after I fire a few shots it goes away. I'm sure a lot of people have similar issues to varying degrees.

I don't remember uncontrollable shakes after a shooting session...actually I don't remember a lot of things. I do recall when I use to shoot against a pal of mine, the one who had consumed the least amount of caffeine usually won. Just a thought.
Very good point. Coffee drinker? It takes some experimenting, but suffice to say people that only drink a cup or two a day should try not to have any at all at least 24 hours before a session. People that drink many cups a day, OTOH, should drink several cups before a session. It's what I've found over the years to pretty much eliminate that type of shakes, i.e. shaking while shooting.

Some thoughts on this:

1. A pinched nerve in your spine can cause tremors in your thumb and/or fingers. Once pressure on the nerve is released, this symptom goes away.

2. possible muscle fatigue;

3. low blood sugar can cause you to get the shakes; it can also cause you to feel sweaty;

4. dehydration;

5. Old age, beginning signs of Alzheimers/dementia or other neurological diseases.

two thumbs up,shooter1911,great advice, keep shooting-things will work themselves out.

If you stop shooting because of it, you'll be kicking yourself in the rear for the rest of your life.

Back