Very Cheap Shotgun

Smaller bore sizes are better for upland hunting; 12s shred quail and the like so there's nothing left to eat.

Another vote for the Maverick. If he's not real experienced, it's just easier to buy new and know you'll have a reliable firearm than get a used one with a questionable past. Especially at such a low price point.

The only complaint I have with my Maverick is the safety. It's very stiff, and in a spot on the trigger guard that just doesn't fit my hands... It's cheap enough though that I don't worry about dirt, grime, dings, etc.

I like the Maverick also, but in my parts I haven't seen one below $234, and the local hardware store, last I looked had the Security Model for $275. With that said, I think it's a great shotgun. It's just an economized version of the 500, made in the same production facility in Texas as are current production 500s. Modern production seems to be about identical to the 500. Mossberg claims that are made in the U.S.A., while some gun forumites repeatedly argue that it is the "Mexican Mossberg". Again, a little research would seem to indicate that if current production Mavericks are using some Mexican parts, then most likely so are current 500 models.

Having both multiple 500s and a Maverick, I notice no difference at all in the quality. The only meaningful difference IMO is the placement of the safety.

I got a friend who has never owned any guns, and lives in a small apartment in a rough neighborhood.
I suggested he get a shotgun.
Glad I ain't living next to him - or above him - or below him.
Since a shotgun is not something that's going to help him away from his apartment, maybe it's not such a good idea.
Maybe a firearm is not what he needs, right now.
There's plenty of other ways he can secure his place that won't put his neighbors at risk.
Just a thought.

Fortunately I have zero experience with very cheap shotguns, and plan to die that way. A lot of people just refuse to believe that anyone would make something that doesn't work at any price, or that people would buy it; but they do.

Look for an 870 Express. A few years ago I bought an old J.C. Higgins(Sears) pump gun for 150.00. It works great, a lot slicker action than the Mossy or 870.

Back