Very Cheap Shotgun

Howdy All,

I got a friend who has never owned any guns, and lives in a small apartment in a rough neighborhood. Because of particular recent events he wants to purchase a firearm. Until his marksmanship improves, and because he is not old enough to purchase a handgun, I suggested he get a simple shotgun. He is very much on a budget and was hoping for getting a reliable shotgun for under $200 total cost. He has gone shooting with me and has used my 12 gauge (a fine valuable double barrel). I am in the process of teaching him firearm safety and use.

I don't have much personal experience with cheap shotguns. I know there is the old H&R single shots and Rossi Wizards that are reliable in that price range. I was wondering if there are any good pump action models or repeaters that are under $200? H&R Pardner Pump is one i've noticed online. Is it any good?

I really don't like "CHEAP SHOTGUNS", but a good entry level shotgun, for around $200.00 should be possible...

Last edited:
In addition to suggestions in prior posts, if you friend is doesn't mind used, the store brand shotguns will be the least expensive. I have had several J C Higgins model 20 pump shotguns costing from $90 to $200. Most needed cleaning up but they are all steel, made by High Standard for Sears, and have worked well as utility guns. These have no collector value and therefore won't cost much. There are other store brands of good quality as well.

I picked up a used H&R pardner pump for 100$ a couple years ago. 100% reliable shooting nothing but heavy 00 buck and slugs, and I admit to not taking great care of it. it's a heavy gun but built like a tank. you can find them pretty much anywhere. not the prettiest, but cheap and reliable....did I mention HEAVY? this is a heavily used shotgun and maintains perfect reliability from day one, I bought from a friend who had it for a few years of heavy use as well. as long as the weihht is okay, I recommend to anyone on a budget

If you look around you may be able to find a Stevens 350 Security for about $200. I think mine was about $220 out the door at a sale. Nice home defense gun. Made by the same folks that make Savage.

He may have to save a little more, but I'd pick up a used Remington 870 Express Magnum. Preferably a pre-triggerlock model.

I have a Pardner Pump... Heavy and solid... Never had one problem with it nor have I read anything bad about their functioning or reliability. They're basically made in China if that's a consideration... just thought you ought to know before you get it home and inspect the markings. (Doesn't matter much to me but does to some...)

Another vote for the Mossberg Maverick. I bought one years ago as just a beater shotgun, but I've hunted and shot skeet with it for years. Good entry level shotgun, no frills but it works

The replies sound like the usual suspects:

used: Remington 870 or Morrberg 500

new: Pardener pump (based off of the 870) or Maverick (based off of the 500)

A person can use any length barrel, but if he really wants a designated defense gun and wants a shorter barrel, one of the NEW options may be easier to come across than a used short barrel gun.

Last edited:
Another vote for the Maverick 88. I picked up a used 20g with 4 chokes from a local gun shop for 170 out the door. It lives in my truck and is very reliable.

Note, if you are use to a good pump like an older Wingmaster or BPS, you will feel like you are holding crap in your hands, they just don't have the quality of those guns but they work.

+1 for the Maverick 88 :D Mine has some expensive furniture, a magazine feeding system, camo finish and it still only cost me $700...initially.... :D Very smooth running gun and I shot 4 deer for the group this past winter with it :cool:

I added the saddle mount, tactical sight with circle dot reticle, took 7/8" out of the stock by shortening the intermediate tube, modified the magazines to run longer 2.75" sabot slugs, 24" vented fully rifled slug barrel(not pictured), and a sling(not pictured) I'm well over a grand into mine but underneath it all is just a good old everyday economical mossberg :D

Attachments

• gun3.jpg
    gun3.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 39
I'm coming to your area to buy a few 870's!!!!

The newer Express models are bringing $250 on the used market, add another $25 for a 20ga.

Mossy's are bringing $200 and 88's are around $150. I have seen Pardners in the $125 range but I'm never fast enough to snag one. And once again, if its a 20ga add more money. If its a .410 you will pay premium for it.

I don't know why our market likes the smaller gauges but they sell and sell well.

Back