*very* basic HD shotgun questions

If you are going to the range often a good .22 will really help improve your skills. I have found great improvement in my grip and concentration shooting several hundred rounds at a session. Try that with .40 or .45 and you will break the bank. Besides they are just plain fun, and good to teach others to shoot with.

I don't have a lot of experience so I will just ask a question and make a little suggestion. With regards to the layout of your house, where is your bedroom situated in relation to the kids' room(s)? Would the BG have to go past your room to reach them? Or is their room(s) off a hall before yours? It seems to me this impacts the decision to use a light and/or set up a defensive perimiter. You definitely don't want to accidently shoot your children or leave them exposed out in front of the best defensive position in the house or have them be caught in a cross-fire while running to your room.

Also, is your bed or other big piece of furniture situated as defensive cover so that you can cover the bedroom door once the kids are safe in the perimiter?

I tend to think that any kind of a load coming out of shotgun at close range is gonna be pretty effective.

[This message has been edited by Bam Bam (edited June 18, 2000).]

Back