Vertical track

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guy that made that video must be shooting a 9mm or smaller. I shoot a .45 so any 3 rounds in close succession are going to track vertically with little effort from me other than pulling the trigger, but 3 shots with a .45 is what I'd call over kill. :D

3.shot.group I'm not getting it either.
I haven't trained ENOUGH.
And my experience is limited.

BUT...
I'd credit surviving one or two situations with having a practiced plan in my mind that I was able to execute without giving any thought. I wouldn't say my default pattern of shooting ever important though. Moving was the important part.

Learn them all. Practice one and have it set in your mind as the default response so you don't have to think when the time comes. If you find yourself in a situation where you have time to think you can always grab one of the others out of your bag of tricks.

Very few of these drills really work that well on a moving target. Luckily, very few people are capable of moving anything but directly toward or away from a target and posing much danger at the same time.

I remember when the technique was called a Zipper. Then, it was later being discussed in training for instructors as 'vertical stringing', because nobody in their right mind wants to find themselves in front of a jury explaining why they were teaching a technique called a 'zipper'.

If memory serves me correctly it (the Zipper) was derived from using the M16. The three round burst taught to save ammo and allow the climb to increase chances of a hit or kill in the eyes of the military. Though I don't know if it lead to the derogatory term "Zipper Head" or weather they were even related.

Anything past three rounds was seen as wastefull by the military, causng lack of accuracy, etc, etc. The desire for fire control lead to the developement of the dreaded M16A2 (I think in the 80's). Oh lovely choices from semi-auto and three round burst.:rolleyes:

The 3 round burst is most effective if you miss with the first round or there are plentiful targets.

The only way you can get it to track vertically is if you get lucky or you put a sand bag on top of the rifle to stabilize it.

We used to fire the M16(the fully automatic version)by making a loop in the sling, up towards the front sling eye, to hold onto, and using a bi-pod that clipped onto the barrel. You had to aim just like you would if you were firing on semi or you'd most likely miss with all 3 rounds, so the first round would hit the target, the other two would usually land 3 to 5 feet off to the sides or overshoot. At longer ranges anyway(200 meters and out).

Some of our weapons had a restriction device on them that prevented the selector switch from being placed on Auto, most guys would break them off, not because they wanted full auto capability, but because it would dig into your side while carrying the weapon slung on your shoulder or over your back.

Personally, I can fire one plenty fast enough on Semi, and a heck of a lot more accurately than I can on Auto.

But I digress,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back