Venison storage question.

BerdanSS

made a full batch of ground deer jerky in the dehydrator, using commercially available curing and seasoning kits. Came out nice, tastes GREAT. I vacuum sealed the finished jerky in individual size servings with my new Game Saver Silver (awesome machine by the way)

The Question:
How long will this stuff keep, vacuum packed in small amounts un-refrigerated?

Even when sealed in vacuum bags, jerky will still get moldy. I seal mine in small sized bags (maybe half dozen pieces per bag) and then I put them in the freezer. When frozen in the bags, they'll last for years.

Better to freeze it !!!

How long will this stuff keep, vacuum packed in small amounts un-refrigerated?
I really can't answer this as I too have "always" put it in the freezer. If you think about all your efforts and money that you put into them and you like the results, it makes sense to freeze it or some of it. The heavy smoke and spices, will preserve it, for a time. ..... :rolleyes:

There is a sausage, that is very popular, in the upper Midwest. It's called LandJager. In the start of the small game hunting season, I will stick a couple of links, in the shell loops of one of my vests. It will stay there, all season, if need be. I just wipe away the weeds and dust and snack, as I hunt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landjäger

Be Safe !!!

Pahoo

I will stick a couple of links, in the shell loops of one of my vests. It will stay there, all season, if need be. I just wipe away the weeds and dust and snack, as I hunt.

That's nasty.:eek:

Actually, I know about the Landjager. Tried to make some a while ago. Very expensive curing ingredient involved and tough to get right. It's a dry cured sausage that take weeks to complete. Tasty though.

I've never been able to keep it long enough to see if it would spoil. My kids could sniff it out like blood-hounds, same with summer sausage. I did mail some to my wife when she was in Kosovo kept well, she apparently had the same problem there with her friends, said it was better than alcohol for bribing folks with. :D

I am not sure what makes the difference. I have had some that was sealed up go bad in about 2 weeks and others last about 2 months. I freeze mine. Once I open the pack I keep it in the fridge unless I am packing it in my lunch or giving it to a friend.

I have never been able to keep any jerky around long enough to find out exactly how long it would keep either frozen, vaccuum sealed or in the fridge. I cant keep my hands off of it. I would recommend freezing it as well, I would think if it is frozen it would last a couple of years. Here in good ole Missouri though you are technically supposed to have all of your venison consumed within a year.

On a side note, I much rather prefer making jerky out of steak cuts. Slice the steak however thick you like your jerky and proceed as normal, much better that way IMO.

Time to spoilage depends on ingredients, environmental factors, quality of packaging, and temperature at packaging (warm jerky leads to condensation and early mold).

As for the actual time....
There's no way of knowing, for sure. But, I do one of two things with my jerky, to keep it from spoiling:
1. Freeze it.
2. Eat it.

Both work quite well, but #2 is more enjoyable.
My jerky, in my packaging, in my freezer, gets a little stale and funky tasting after about 2 months in the freezer.
So, small batches, throughout the year, work best for my family.

If I want to save some jerky for the next year's deer/elk/antelope hunt, I just keep the meat frozen. Jerky made fresh, just before the hunt, always tastes better, anyway. ;)

Frankenmauser, you say your jerky gets a little stale after 2 months in the freezer. I'm curious as to how you are storing it in the freezer.

Frankenmauser, you say your jerky gets a little stale after 2 months in the freezer. I'm curious as to how you are storing it in the freezer.
Cheap ziplock bags.
With the way my wife throws stuff around in the freezer, I wouldn't be surprised if the bags had holes in them after a week or two. :rolleyes:

Oh, and one note that impacts the long-term quality of my jerky....
I use honey and/or corn syrup in my jerky, to add flavor and help keep it slightly moist. As a consequence, those hygroscopic ingredients will soak up fridge and freezer 'flavors' with any moisture they can pull out of the air. It has to stay sealed, or get eaten.

Life it good !!!

For many years, I saved a large venison ham or better yet, two small ones, in the freezer. Then I pick a day, in the summer to cut into 1/4" strips and marinade for at least 24hrs. I have my standard cheap recipe or Brown sugar and salt. My more expensive recipe is; Orange juice teriyaki sauce, Garlic powder Salt, pepper and for hotter, Cheyenne pepper. .... ;)

I take all day to smoke in my large Webber, over charcoal and wet hickory. Nice and slow with low heat and cold beers. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

I selflessly volunteer to help dispose of any venison (or other game meat) so that it shall not go bad. PM me and I'll give you my mailing address. :D

It depends on how dry you got it. If it still tastes decent, it wont keep long. If it tastes like a piece of sandpaper, it might keep half year of so. I freeze all my jerky.

It depends on how dry you got it. If it still tastes decent, it wont keep long. If it tastes like a piece of sandpaper, it might keep half year of so. I freeze all my jerky.

Funny you say that... there's this guy who brings me venison jerky every year. He's so proud of it. Tells me the same story every time, how it took him years to come up with a recipe that everybody at camp likes and he has to hide it to keep from eating it all too soon.

Stuff reminds me of boot leather rolled in oregano. Every year I try to let him down easy and tell him I'm not really a fan but every year he brings more.:D

Anyhow, I agree. Don't over dry it. Freeze it, in vacuum sealed bags, and bring it out when you need it.

Thanks for the comments all :)

I guess I should of been more detailed. Made with venison fine ground with good beef fat. seasoned and cured with store bought kit stuff. Dehydrated to just perfect, then vacuum sealed the same day after chilling for 1 hour.

I was just hopping to hear 3 weeks, because even several pounds wouldn't last longer than that around here. I vacuum seal and freeze all burger and cuts of meat of course, but freezing jerky would be pointless as I would be in a constant state of thawing :D

Thanks for answering FrankenMauser. I suspected you may be using ziplock bags. Now you have me curious as to whether the vacuum bags that I use would also help in your situation (with the sweet/moist ingredients). I'm betting they would. My marinade has a fairly high suger content and like I said earlier - the pieces last for years when I store them in the vacuum baggies.

Mine do not last for years in the vacuum bags in the freezer because I eat too much of it.:rolleyes: The oldest It has ever gotten was about 9 months. It showed no signs of aging.

Don't get me wrong - mine ususally don't get to stay in the freezer very long either. The only way I know they last for years is that I put the date frozen on each bag and I found some burried under the frost when I defrosted the freezer once. It was still good 2 years later.

Back