Velocity wise, which calibers are least affected by barrel length?

Sorry guys, life kinda happened all around me this week. I meant to get back sooner. I didn't really have any particular gun or caliber in mind when I started the thread. I was really just looking for a rule of thumb. I had it in my mind that bigger slower lower pressure calibers were less affected by barrel length than smaller faster higher pressure calibers. Somewhere I read something that seemed to contradict that. I've been so busy lately I don't even remember what that was. Then I saw the Alaskan in a gun shop. Very nice but, if I'm honest with myself, I have much better things to spend 8 bills on.

Regardless, thanks much for the replies. I really enjoy these type discussions. I had forgotten about ballistics by the inch. That's interesting and helpful.

Also, I seem to recall a gun rag article or something on the net years ago that explored extremes in barrel length. If I remember right they tested barrels that were several feet long. Anyone remember this by chance?

Oh and I was also interested in what extent loss of barrel length/velocity could be overcome by different powders, burn rates etc. Good stuff guys. Thanks again!

Back