Variations in .410 Shot Shells

No- I meant it sounds like the gun is chambered in .45 Colt only. It's very possible it was made this way.
At this point I'm not gonna say anything's not possible. The 'Judge' was advertised as .45 Long Colt and .410 shotshell compatible. If it's not shotshell compatible I'm going to let the Taurus people figure that one out. I'm really curious how this shakes out. I need to get in touch with Taurus and see how they want this done. I'll reply back here when I get an answer.

who knows? they may have gotten something wrong somewhere. time to pass it off to the makers and let them scratch their heads! :>
good luck!

DONT SEND IT IN to taurus.

What you need to do is take it to an actual GUNSMITH OR you can buy a box of brass .410 shotgun ammunition. they can actually measure the chambers for you.

It sounds as if the cylinder wasnt reamed correctly for the .410 shells. no big issue with that.

And, why not send it in to Taurus?
They made the gun, and it's their obligation to make it right.
Brass shotgun shells wouldn't make any difference.

Last edited:
the chambers were cut for 45 colt, possible 454 casull in a rifle.. brass shells would help via a good way to check how deep they truly go.

also, not sending it in to taurus:

they may not actually HAVE the means to actually ream the chambers to take .410 ammo. That means the customer would simply be sent a new gun. But heres the kicker,

the REPLACEMENT gun would most likely be in the nasty ass spray on finish crap they use now. NOT the finish the gun is now.

MOST reports ive seen on the judge is that the .410 shells never work well at all for crap. And that the "shorter" chamber should ONLY help 45 colt accuracy

Mine eats everything . . .

I used to have a short barreled judge and now own the pubic defender version. Both guns shoot whatever 410 I put in them. I use the PD loads and the regular 410 loads and both chamber just fine. I'm not a gun smith but I think Taurus missed your gun in a quality check. And now that I write that, isn't it kind of general knowledge that Taurus can be inconsistent in terms of quality?

Life is good.
Prof Young

I'm not a gun smith but I think Taurus missed your gun in a quality check. And now that I write that, isn't it kind of general knowledge that Taurus can be inconsistent in terms of quality?

Missed QC is another possibility (that seem to be adding up) but I hate to sell Taurus short. I recently sent in a .38/.357 snub nose revolver to fix. I took it apart to clean and lube and lost some parts. Obviously my fault.

They (didn't state a reason) sent me back a brand new revolver (SS like the one I sent in). The rubber grip is different than other .38s and I like it. For any shortcomings of the Taurus brand they make it up in customer service. The 'return authorization' I got to 2nd day air it back was $35!!! I ended up getting a new gun for $35 - air freight, repairs and all. Not a bad deal.

That's one reason I want to send the Judge in. It's a bit old. I actually traded for it with a friend 5-6 years ago and I could swear it shot the shotshells at the time. That was mostly my main reason for getting it. Can't say what's changed since then unless I am just not remembering right.

I have been following this. Today is Sept. 22......last post was Sept. 5.
What has happened in the intervening weeks? Curious, I am.

Never a problem chambering any 2 1/2" 4 10 in my Judge Public Defender Poly. The only ammo related problem I have had was primers backing out on some shells in one box of Winchester Super X #6. All others, including other boxes of Super X, and PDX1 have never had an issue. My guess is that one lot had some loose primers.
Call Taurus, see what they say.

I'm still puzzling over the SD loads (look like shot shells) going right in.
I'm still puzzling over what you mean by SD loads, and "look like" shot shells?
They're all shot shells, just different shot size.

Back