Varget = ?

Next time I am up the interstate I am going to look for some of that Staball. I am about ready to pull the 6CM barrel and put that Shilen .260 Rem barrel back on one of my rifles. Low round count, could never get it to shoot quite the way I wanted. Staball might just be what it needs.
Might be what it needs. It is definitely clean.

If you follow my link to ADI's relative burn rate test results, they put RL15 closer to AR2209 than to AR2208 (Varget). Of course, YMMV because we don't know what lot of RL15 ADI tested. That's always the problem with RBR charts from different companies and part of why they don't all agree.

You might also give Win 748 a try. I use it exclusively in 5.56, and I use it in my .308 autos. For the bolt guns, I use a trickled charge of Reloder 15, which I found edged out Varget and 4064 in the accuracy department. Though not by a huge amount.

Another vote for Reloder15, and I've always been able to find it when Varget goes MIA as it seems prone to do every few years. Even though I have Varget now I've continued using RE15 for most of my .223 loading.

IMR4064 is a good one but the longer grains make it somewhat of a PITA for small cases like .223

Hodgdon's relative burn rate chart disagrees with ADI about RL15's position relative to AR2208 (Varget). These disagreements are common because the relative burn rates are determined with different cartridges and conditions and lots of powder by the different makers. But the interesting thing I note about Hodgdon's chart is that Varget has the oft-forgotten IMR powder, 4320, right next to it. So there's another potential candidate. And its grains are shorter than 4064.

lol at Bass Pro Shop, they'll take your money and keep pushing back shipping. I live 5 miles from a store and never go there, such a lousy place.

It probably means their warehouse didn't have it in stock when you ordered it three weeks ago and is waiting for it to come in. Annoying that they couldn't or didn't check that for you up-front and let you know the delay would be indefinite.

It just gets better. They finally shipped my Varget to the Rancho store, arrived today and ready for pickup........which is close for the kung flu :)

Back