Varget shortage?

I like Varget, but RL15 works just as well for me and is also temperature stable. The best thing about 308 is that I've never found a bad powder for it. I've had good luck with 4064 and Ramshot Tac as well as several others.

Maybe it's just my rifles, but finding accurate 308 loads is easy too. Most any suitable powder, and any powder charge seems to be MOA or better. Adding more powder usually only results in velocity increases.

Actually, RL15 proved not to be temperature stable enough in desert conditions. The army found their M118LR ammunition loaded with it was giving high-pressure signs in the M24 platform in Iraq. So, when Federal developed the Mk 316 Mod 0 sniper ammunition for that platform they went to flash-suppressed IMR 4064. IMR 4064 has always been good about temperatures, which is why a lot of target shooters have historically preferred it in 308 Win and 30-06 match loads.

Gold Dot rifle bullets.

Anyone loaded any? I have tried several of them and can't get any of the ones I have tried to group at all. My .22-250 is a tack driver with anything Sierra from 40 to 65 grain. The groups from the 50 and 62gr gold dots would make scattergun technologies proud.

Found some Varget in the west twin city's beltway. Shop is called Gun stop, not sure if they do online orders. Sounded like he has plenty on hand. Just FYI for any Minne-sooot-ans looking fer dat pooowder, dont'sh ya know. Da rifle season opens next weekend fer them bucks and such, get ya some vaarget to put supper on the table till the lakes freeze and you can do some feishin again.

Best I could do with northerner Minnesota accent :). I'm one so I can poke fun at the Scandinavian drawn out sound :)

Last edited:
308Loader said:
woo 4064! seems to be old school. right next to Varget in burn rate.

That's because Varget was designed to compete with IMR4064 in the 308 Win, specifically (or so a Hodgdon tech told me). Federal still uses IMR4064 in their 308 Gold Medal Match loads. Varget produces a little lower change in velocity per grain, giving it the stability edge (just as 4064 has that same edge over 4895). However, what you give up is the range of available velocities when the case is getting full. That's what I suspect is the main reason you can't find a great Varget accuracy load as easily as you can with 4064 in some caliber and bullet combinations.

Back