Value of the .357 Magnum?

The only "horror" story I know of regarding a .357 was a Trooper shooting in which a Trooper hit the perp 5 out of 6 times with a .357 wheel gun and the perp still fired a single round out of a .22 (may have been .22mag) killing the Trooper. Seems like the .22 round went in the area around the arm/chest area missing the body armor and piercing the Trooper's heart/artery causing him to bleed out. If I remember correctly, the 5 hits from the .357 rounds "found home" in the torso of the BG. The Trooper was dead on the scene. The perp lived to tell his story.

Sorry I can't recall the particulars (who, where) of this case right off, but it was well documented and it is used in MANY of the LE training videos. For some reason I'm thinking it was a Trooper Coats involved. I can get more specific information if anyone is interested. While I recall the video of the shooting as if it had happened in my presence, I can never remember things like the Trooper "insert name here" shooting, or State vs. "insert name here" tags on stuff like this...

R6

I believe that the perp in that incident was morbidly obese (300+ pounds), and the officer was shooting at an upwards angle into the guy's enormous gut. I highly doubt that any other cartridge would have done better under those circumstances. The .357 bullets out of the officer's gun just didn't reach anything vital at that unfavorable angle, having to punch through that much body fat.

That's 10-4 on the perp's big gut and the angle. :) I also agree that the odds are slim that any other duty round would have done any better in this case. It's still a horror story where the perp took X number of hits from a .357mag and still killed the Trooper though. Just goes to show that it doesn't matter what you carry, if you don't/can't hit vitals, you may lose the fight.

Hey, maybe I shouldn't go on a diet! :D

R6

Gee, my 357 feels like a pussycat after firing my 44 mag....... Big boom, big blast always puts a grin on my ugly mug. Recoil is a subjective thing, but it helps to have the right platform regardless of the caliber. I wouldn't want to light off a 44M snubby!

There is no shortage in the variety or quantity of available factory ammo for the 38/357 revolver, making it an extremely versatile tool. From a reloaders perspective, the wide range of possible loads from light 38 Spc target loads through full house 357 showstoppers allow for almost endless experimentation, and the popularity and availability of the components translate to cost-effective reloads.

Definitely one of my favorites.

Being More Precise about 357

The revolvers I mentioned are carriable. Granted a four pound revolver with an 8 inch barrel would allow better control over the 357's recoil, I don't think these giant revolvers are practical for concealed carry. So let me be more precise than I have been in my prior posts on this subject. Does it make sense to load the 357 instead of the 38 special in small, light revolvers carried for self-defense? Much of the discussion in these Internet gun groups relates to range firing and not to weapons which can be carried comfortably for self-defense. In the self-defense situation, the heavy recoil and muzzle blast of the 357 must be weighed against the greater velocity of its bullet.

Drakejake

I own a half dozen .357s and I think that this caliber would be the first one I would buy and the last one I would get rid of. I am not trying to be macho, but the recoil of a .357 never even entered my mind until some of the threads I read on these internet boards. I bought a Ruger SP-101 and fired max loads with 110 grain bullets up to 180 grain bullets and was really diappointed in the lack of recoil after reading the horror stories on the internet. I realize that recoil is a personal thing. What bothers one person, doesn't bother someone else etc. I exclusively shoot max loads out of my .357s, I own several .38s if I want to shoot .38s. My faviorite load is a 110 grain HP over Blue Dot at just shy of 2000 fps. Great coyote load. This is pretty high velocity for a real handgun round, and very flat shooting for a real handgun round.

Drakejake,
Here's the paper figures on the loads I use in my 4" Smith Model 19
125 gr Nyclad .38 Special non +p-- 190 FP of energy.
130 gr Hydra-Shock ( or similar 125 gr Golden Saber) .357 Magnum--490 FP of energy.
The .357 load has over twice the paper energy level as the .38 Special.---On paper.

In reality, I don't believe in a magic bullet. I do believe in getting as much of an edge as I can though. I feel a .357 gives me a bit of an edge. I feel that way because I've sent a few thousand of them downrange. You're the only one that can determine if full house .357 load is a good thing or a bad thing for you to shoot. Maybe it isn't just now. Next month, next year, it may be a different story. One thing I can just about guarentee though. Don't count on MY ability to handle a full house .357, since I probably ain't going to be there if there's trouble.
To answer your question: It makes perfect sense for me to use full house magnum loads in MY Model 19, with me behind the wheel. You have to determine if it's right for you. If you feel the .357 Mag is beating you up, back off to a .38 Special. .38's have been getting the job done for years with the right bullet.

>>There is no shortage in the variety or quantity of available
>>factory ammo for the 38/357

Actually, it is getting harder to find a decent 38 spl. load at your local store(s). I have 3 38/357's. For me it does not matter, I don't reload but it is easy to find great rounds for this caliber on the net. Thank God!

justinr1

Greetings,

I don't usually carry my .357, but it's loaded in my safe. IMHO, it is an unmatchable defense round fireable from weapons of unmatchable concealability.

Here is my gun:

649.jpg

With a boot grip it's even smaller. It can be fired from inside the pocket of a jacket or bathrobe. You can also fire it single action. SA trigger break is extraordinary--"like glass." It holds five rounds of .357 and I have two speedloaders for it.

As to grips, well fitted wooden palmswell grips work best for me in taming the recoil. So does the extra weight of stainless steel over Ti or alloys. The recoil is exhilerating to say the least, so I spent some time at the range getting used to it.

Regards.

>>Does it make sense to load the 357 instead of the 38 special
>>in small, light revolvers carried for self-defense?

Only if you can handle it. I have a 586 2-1/2 that I do shoot 158g full 357s. But the gun is not particularily light. It only makes sense if you practice for it. Even if my 642 could handle 357s I would not put them in that gun. It's too light. For me.

justinr1

Drakejake- If you REALLY like the 38's. Use a 38+P round. It has a nice kick to it. I also believe they come in hollow point. Granted the 38 is lighter to carry, but I like to have a balance between carriable and power. I like a heavier gun. The light guns feel too "out of control" for me. I like to shoot hot rounds. That is why I choose the Kahr P-40. I have a small frame so I can't carry one of my 45ACP's on my ankle! :D

357 usefulness

those light 357,s are meant to be carried alot and shot alittle,the 357 is very marginal for hogs or bears,bears climb trees,I have a 8" barrel python stainless,that I have shot a couple of deer with using 180 gr. loads they were both heart shots at twenty yards broadside ,one a doe completly penetrated,the other a buck failed to produce an exit wound,very helpful when trying to recover game!both deer were recovered but since then I have stepped up to the 44mag the very best handgun cartride ever devised,the 357 is the second best,but that is only my opinion,Istill use that python once in a while on an occasional coyote or woodchuck but only because it breaks my heart to see such a beautiful gun not get used,if I didnt have it I could use my 629 to do anything that python can do,I believe the 357 is still the best defence cartridge bar none and will never be obsolete,I just wouldnt recomend it for large game unless you can shoot and get hair singeing close.

Back