Value of the .357 Magnum?

Drakejake

Today I fired two .357's (Rossi and Taurus 357 total ti) . This was probably my fourth or fifth time to fire both ammos in these guns in sequence for comparison. The 357 ammo is so painful to fire, so punishing to the hand. The 38 special is so pleasant to fire. The 357 is much hasher than 9 MM or .45 acp. I have read that 357 is hard to control for a second shot and has a huge muzzle blast. I know that 357 has greater velocity than 38 special, but I still wonder why one would use 357 rather than the other ammos (some in autos instead of revolvers). Is 357 really good for killing bears or hunting hogs? What's the deal with 357?

Drakejake

typo in my message

In the third line of my prior message I use the term "hasher." This is a new term meaning to hash or crumble. Just joking: I meant to say "harsher."

Drakejake

To me, a .45ACP in a full size auto has much more recoil and muzzle jump than a .357 Magnum out of a 2" snubbie revolver. Don't know what it is, but I can handle a .357 easy :cool:

Well, remember, you were shooting two .357 Mags., including a small titanium one. That's going to make this a LOT more unpleasant.

There are other .357 Mag. options out there that are not nearly so punishing to the shooter.

I've carried a .357 Mag. for years.

Why?

Because I feel more comfortable with a revolver, and I like the .357 Mag. a lot.

Remember, the .357 was designed to be fired in a large frame (read heavy) revolver with a longer barrel. There is a big difference between shooting a round with the platform it was designed versus shooting it with a platform that probably never should have been designed (ultra-light revolvers in .357 Magnum).

It has been my experience that even standard velocity 158 grain .38 Special rounds are very uncomfortable to shoot in a ultra-light (S&W 342)--I don't even want to think about shooting a .357 Magnum in one.

If you want to shoot the .357 as designed, try to rent or borrow a Ruger GP-100 with a four to six inch barrel (or even better a S&W Model 27 in that barrel length). If you really want to shoot the .357 in small concealable package, the only way to go is the Ruger SP-101--it's still a handful, but it is workable.

The 357 magnum is incredibly flexible. You can use mild 38 spl loads for fun plinking or recoil sensitive shooters. You can move up a bit and shoot 38+P loads for a little more effectiveness. My wife likes Medium Velocity 357 magnum loads. Almost as effective as full power stuff but not as much of the recoil. I like the full power 125gr stuff myself. Tops for urban warfare.
I frequent the woods alot and carry a 357 magnum often. I mostly stoke it with 158gr softpoints but Federal markets a 180gr HardCast load. Pretty darn stout this one is. In a pinch I think it could be effective against a small blackie at 200lbs or so. So, from a very mild load to a 180gr thumper. What a great calibre......Best Regards, J. Parker

It's a good all purpose cartridge---but becoming obsolete in a way----I use 9mm and .38spl. for defence and .44 mag and .22 for hunting---don't really have a use for a .357.

What other caliber can go from the light recoil and lower power of the .38 to the full house 125gr round? The Flexiblity, espc. if you are a reloader is great.
For me, being a person of lighter stature and being VERY skinny..my wrists are small, and anything in .44mag + REALLLY hurts to fire...I am pretty sure a .454Casull would do some serious damage to my tendons. .357 is the most powerfull handgun caliber I can handle, and I like the fact that if I don't feel like punishing my arm(I can handle 50 158grain rounds untill my wrist starts hurting), I can fire .38spcl. out of a Gp-100 or a L frame with no problem.

Plus, .357 out of wheelgun is just fun to shoot!!!
Rates right up there with .45ACP.

Very popular

the .357 Magnum loaded properly will suffice to say the least, any critter that comes within it's
path.:) Yes, the .41 and .44 Magnum's are more
powerful; and certainly would be recommended for
dangerous game.:D But, with that said the ole'
.357 Magnum ain't half-bad it's-self!!!:) I almost
forgot? You asked for some .357 (money) values, I
think. A good rule of the thumb is to use the Ruger for comparison; starting with a GP-100,
which is probably the best value for the money.
Compare it to a Smith & Wesson 66 and/or 686,
at around $439.95 per copy here in central Alabama. Then, if money is no problem look at
the Colt Custom Shop's Python Elite; at well over
$1,000.00 a copy!!! For my money, I chose the Smith & Wesson model 686-5 with a 6" barrel.

Regards,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Knowing that the 125 gr .357 Magnum ranks very high on the stopping list has a lot to do with why I like it. The drop dead good looks of an old P/R Model 19 don't hurt either.

Value of the .357 Magnum? - Priceless

It may be a handful in a light gun, but it is a preferred defense cartridge for many of us.

Funny how neither the 9mm "light and small" crowd nor the .45ACP "big and slow" folks question the stopping abilities of the .357 Magnum. It's highly respected self-defense cartridge with an excellent street record. Some folks think that .357 is the ne plus ultra in terms of ballistic performance. Others, like Chuck Taylor, have nothing good to say about it, but notice the decided lack of .357 horror stories ("He took twelve rounds and kept on coming!") that both the .45ACP and 9mm crowds love to cite in order to prove the "ineffectiveness" of the other caliber.

I consider the .357 a near-perfect cartridge for al all-purpose handgun. In its full-house loads, it makes an outstanding hunting cartridge and a devastating manstopper. Wheelguns in .357 can also use the full variety of .38 Special, making the .357 wheelgun the most versatile handgun out there. No other caliber handgun can be tailored as well to a specific task as the .357 revolver just by varying the load in the gun, spanning the whole spectrum between .38 Special target wadcutters and .357 Magnum deerstoppers. The .357 may be a bit light on the upper end of the foot-pound scale compared to the .44 and .41 Magnum, but it'll still take pretty much everything that walks, crawls or runs in the lower 48.

You are correct about the 38 being easier to shoot. But what you gain in ease of shooting you loose in knock down power! I have a S&W 357 mag. It kicks like a mule!!! But when I am just target practicing I will use 38+P's. It fires similar to a 357 mag round but not as much kick. It is also cheaper to fire. The 38 rounds are considerably cheaper. If I am going to fire a lot, I will use the 38's. I don't think there is a substitute for power though. Hope this may help you make a decision about choosing a weapon.

I also have three 45 acp, one 9MM, one 40 cal (my concealed carry weapon) amonst others. :D

Ammo Question, Not Revolver Question

I already have the weapons: a Taurus 617 Total Ti and a Rossi stainless 357 snubby. I agree that these are useful firearms to have because of the range of ammo they can use. I do like revolvers because they are simpler to use and generally more reliable than autos. So my question relates more to ammo than to firearm. Why should you load your 357 with 357 rather than 38 special when the latter is so much more controllable and pleasant to fire. People are saying greater power. But does higher velocity compensate for higher cost of 357 ammo, greater pain in firing it, greater difficulty in aiming and getting off second shot, etc.?

Drakejake

Drakejake -
The question is, if you ever have to use that gun in self defense, won't you want all the power you could possibly have? A 22LR works for many defensive situations, but why not have more?

"Power," as it relates to defensive ammo, is really a worthless term.

Increased power doesn't necessarily make for a better defensive round. A lot has to do with bullet construction, as well.

All things being equal, though, generally the .357 Mag. will drive a bullet faster, meaning greater bullet expansion and penetration.

Expansion causes damage, but penetration allows the bullet to get into vital areas.

Without adequate penetration, expansion looks good, but isn't nearly as effective at stopping an attack.

Drakejake- I agree with the last two responses. The thing that you have to decide is what is most comfortable for you. You have to decide where you want to go before you choose how to get there. Meaning- You have to figure out what you want to do with the weapon then figure out the ammo that suits your needs. I want to hurt someone if I have to, not make them more unpleasant to deal with! Personally, in my concealed carry weapon (Kahr Arms P-40) I have S&W 180 grain hollow points. It kicks like a mule. But when I am target practicing I use "plunking ammo." :cool:

>>People are saying greater power. But does higher velocity
>>compensate for higher cost of 357 ammo, greater pain in firing
>>it, greater difficulty in aiming and getting off second shot, etc.?

Don't get down on the .357 just because you bought a snubby and a TI gun! That's not the .357's fault. You can make a case for a .357 snub, but you have to be crazy (IMO) to put a .357 in a total TI gun. Of COURSE it is going to hurt. Don't blame one of the best cartridges currently in production. They are meant for 4 to 8 inch guns! Your revolvers don't fit in that category.

justinr1

Back