Value of Original Boxes

I don't know what the boxes add in value but I do know they are worth a lot more if they have the matching gun in them.:D

In some firearm reference book, I read that original boxes can add $150-$200 to the value of a collectible handgun depending on the condition of the box and the age and rarity of the handgun. Does this sound familiar to anyone or am I just hallucinating? I'd like to know the reference source if anyone remembers where this fact came from. Thanks.

"The Blue Book of Gun Values" is one source. It is published each year both in print and online. The Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson by Supica and Nahas is another. There are many sources for this actually and you can go to a Colt or Smith and Wesson forum to learn more.

Why goes to condition and authenticity.

Not only are the boxes valuable but the paper work and the small tools inside are valuable in and of themselves. There is a market for these.

Even for more recent guns it adds to the value of the piece. A person selling a Gen 2 Glock from 1990 that is in like new condition will get more for it if it has the original box, tools and papers for it.

tipoc

Back