Utah Gathering: After Action Report

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
9 Shooters gathered out in the Utah Desert.
We all had a great time.
There was shooting, grasshopper hunting, bratwurst grilling, tornado dodging...
This was a lot of fun - more so than the first. We took a lot of Digital Pics too.
A full report will be posted.

More to follow.

------------------
You might laugh in the face of FEAR... but unless your armed, its a nervous, unconvincing, little laugh.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by George Hill:
...grasshopper hunting...[/quote]

Are grasshoppers a game species in Utah?
Eric

When they are the size of crow - they sure are! You should have seen these suckers in the air - just one or two making a racket like a small WWII bomber... One desert fly tried to make off with one of the targets. Coulda made it too - if we hadn't called the range Hot again... and well... the fly didnt make it.

Special Thanks to those that brought stuff -
skyder, for the Grill, the Sun Shade, the extra table, and the good company.
Meiji_man, for being the Offical TFL Utah Chapter Combat Photographer.
Caeca Invidia Es & Tank Girl for the desert... Mrs Kodiac enjoyed them profusly.
Correia, for helping put this together and bringing some fun guns... Oh - and for the first time making the Mighty FAL JAM! ;) I'll let you explain that one!
And thank you to the rest of the Utah TFL Members who showed up...
For those that didn't make it: You have to come next time!

Here is the Narative:
At Nine AM we gathered at the Wendys/Gas Station just off I15 in Lehi. When everyone was gathered and last provisions obtained (Namely Aleve for my busted up knee and some more bottled water); we headed west into the deep desert. Along the way we saw guys riding camels, some piramids, some Fremen calling a worm with a "thumper" - like I said Deep Desert.
Once we found the site and set up, we immediatly made the obligatory refrence to "Tremors" when a couple went wandering off... Setting up the canopy was fun - something just shy of a Monty Python skit - but we got it up. Once Mrs Kodiac was comfortable on a camp chair in the shade we went about setting up some targets. Among them water filled bottles... one of the best kinda targets to shoot at. :D
After a session of shooting Correia and I just had to do the John Woo trick so we each loaded up dual .45s and went at it. As Shakespear put it - we were "full of sound and fury" and that was about it. So then we set about the food.
Bratwurst and Kraut... because like an idiot I forgot all the chicken we bought last night just for this occasion! We had two packs and thankfully Correia had a 3rd so everyone had plenty of meat...
Side Note - He showed us Gunslinger's Super Duper Belly Band. After seeing it in person - I would recomend it highly. Larry was carrying his 1911A1 and you just plain could not tell. I will be ordering one shortly.
During the second round of firing Mrs Kodiac got more involved in the shooting and made some very nice hits.
Everyone shared weapons and got to try pretty much whatever they wanted to try... Including some of skyder's SPECWAR ISSUE .22 ammo... Okay - it is actually some imported ammo powered only by Primer Charge... Out of the two Remington 514's there - The gunshot is about as loud as a mouse flatulant. You could hear the hammer click, and the bullet hitting down range - THAT WAS IT. I will be buying a couple boxes of that stuff shortly as well... It has some special utilities that make this ammo ideal.
Oh - I almost forgot... just as we were about to finish up the eats... I noticed a big dust devil off in the distance. I looked away from it briefly and all the sudden it was on top of us! Just like one of the skits in the Python flick HOLY GRAIL. The tent was grabbed just in time... with Meiji_man almost making like one of Mary Poppins' Chimney Sweeps. It hit like a frieght train and threatened to topple everything. It blew an opened gun case off a truck... but spared the Mighty FAL. Mrs Kodiac was climbing out of the Jawa SandCrawler just as it hit - and promptly rebounded back into the van... But the little tornado passed as quickly as it came and we were back to shooting.
We set up and knocked down plenty of targets. skyder made a hike down the trail and set up a water filed 2 liter bottle with the challenge... everyone gets ONE SHOT - see who can hit it. My Bad. I shot first. :D

All in all - I think everyone had a great time... It was the best time I have had shooting since the last TFL Gathering.

Photos will be posted shortly.

[This message has been edited by George Hill (edited September 16, 2000).]

Eric, you have never seen anything like these grasshoppers. When we where setting up targets I was only wearing my pistol. When I saw the size of those paleolithic beasts I went back to the car and got my .308. I was afraid that .45 wouldn't be able to reliably put one down. Seriously though, I have never seen a fly as big as the one we saw out there. If it wasn't for the other witnesses I would think that I must have been hallucinating! It had to be an inch long!

Had a great time. I'm excited to see the pictures. Especially the Chow Yun Fat exercise in futility. I hit everything from the dirt ten feet in front of me, to the sage brush about 50 yards behind the target, but at no time was the target in any danger. :)

Every time I go to these things I want to buy more guns. This time I was exposed to the beauty of the M1 Garand by skyder, there is just something neat about the clang noise when it kicks out the en-bloc clip. Also that Makarov has got to be the neatest $140 pistol ever. The Detonics was a fun little .45, I was surprised by how easy to shoot it was. The recoil was sharper than a regular .45, but not to bad.

My friend Jay brought along some plastic disks that made great targets. They soaked up plenty of rounds and kept on going.

Plenty of bratwurst and mountain dew. The tent got pretty beat up in the dust devil. That was neat. The remaining food got sandblasted pretty good, and the case for my Browning went flying off into the desert.

And yes I did jam the Mighty FAL. The gun that could not be jammed. A round got stuck in the chamber, it was really wedged in there. Couldn't even pull the cocking handle back, finally George banged the butt stock on the ground to free it up. The round was some surplus CAVIM Venezualen crap. It was so badly mis-sized that I couldn't get it to chamber in my Ishipore!!!! :eek: You can shoot rocks out of an Ishipore!

At one point George, Meiji-man, skyder & myself where all shooting some kind of 1911 at the same time. When I pointed that out it brought a tear to George's eye.

It was a good day. I look forward to doing this again.

p.s. on the way back to Logan, we stopped in Ogden to see if a store there had any 8mm Mauser, and Jay wound up buying a Romanian SAR 1, AK 47. We will make sure to bring that along next time. :D

Just a couple of minor corrections to the previous post action reports. I believe we had something in excess of 9 TFL'ers there. Mrs. Kodiak counted for one and a decimal something.
Also, regarding the whirlwind, I was not even worried about the sunshade going to Tooele or wherever the wind was headed. As you remember, we had lashed it to my truck to combat the strong south "breeze" that had come up. When the whirlwind came, it was the TRUCK that I became concerned about!!! (by the way, did anyone happen to find my little dog, Toto??)
The area we went to is very interesting in its own bleak way. A few miles from what used to be the largest US Army camp in the west and only a few yards from the old Pony Express and stage coach routes. Sorta chock full of history and nothing.
Great fun was had by all. Some sunburn, lots of gun cleaning (gotta get started on that) and good memories. Let's make it a regular event, maybe semi- or annual, and schedule it enough in advance for more to be there. Self-contained campers??
Looking for the pix!

The pix will be posted probably monday afternoon... I have a couple already and the rest will be coming Monday.
I'll post a link to them in this thread pointing to the hidden Page Four of my home page... Where all the pictures will be assembled in an interesting order. That digital camera is FANTASTIC. Mrs Kodiac is convinced that I need one now. Problem is that the pictures turn out HUGE! I'll have to resize them down to web friendly size...
The detail is like none other... You could even count the hairs on the back of Larry's neck... and uh - you better get that mole looked at ;) Kidding... Anyways...
To The Cleaning!

I just wanted to thank everyone for the fun time I had. I felt the stress of the week let go in such good company. I'm usually, a one gun type of girl, but everyone made sure I had a different gun to try out. This was too much fun! From the slam of Correia's Ishapore against my shoulder to watching the targets fly shooting Jay's Beretta (I had fun with the SKS as well), I enjoyed learning about each gun and how it shoots. However, I'm still loyal to the 1911. I love the feel of a .45!
Thanks again to everyone for a successful day!

------------------
Behind every great man, is an exausted woman.

I'll have the rest of the pics e-mailed out first thing Mon morning. Oh, is anyone else as sunburned as I am? I got that nice "farmers tan" thing going. I've got the group picture working and will send it tommorow too.
Great meeting you all, when's the next meeting?

------------------
"Take your weapon with reluctance. Draw it with dread. Grieve for those who fall to your bullets. But make every shot count."-Robert Shea

I don't think sun burned is the right word to use for me.... I think well done says it better.

------------------
Wisdom only comes when the mouth closes and the mind opens.

I wasnt much better off then Caeca as far as burns go, but it was worth it. It was a good thing we brought sun screen with us... Just to bad we forgot to put it on :o(
And about the next get together. If you want to go back to the Pony Express trail you'll want to make sure it isnt anywhere around the first warm weeks after Christmas.
That wide open waistland becomes so packed with people trying out their new Christmas toys that you'll have to drive miles, and miles down the trail just so you wont be a target!

------------------
Freedom by its self is just a word. To have freedom we must protect our rights to be free.

Ok I've e-mailed the pics out. The server's still trying to choke on them.

The other think about the first few warm weeks is the MUD. I've seen trucks drive right into hills that way. They don't sink mind you, they just drive straight while the mud rises around them.

Problem with the pictures...
not the pistures themselves - they are all great... but I got like 50 of them and putting them on a server is the catch.
I'm out of server space!

So here is what I'll do - Take the best pictures put them up... and email the rest.
However - this is 15 Megs of jpg images.
So - if you guys have a better idea - thats the plan I will go with...

What about those photo-point web pages? You see lots of folks putting stuff up on them and linking from TFL threads.

But then again I'm probably the most computer illiterate of anybody that was there yesterday, so I'll be quiet now. ;)

I thought that was the plan.
I can try and cut them down from here.

NEW SMALLER ONES IN YOUR E_MAIL!!!

Gee like I've never heard "too Big" before

[This message has been edited by Meiji_man (edited September 18, 2000).]

Hey George... I have tons of server space if you want to mail em to me I can stick them up. Just let me know.

------------------

I was going to do a photopoint type thing from here...
But thats not working.
Shaun - if you got the server space Thats cool... I'll forward the images over to you.

I have a little over 100 meg of space left right now, so it is not a problem. Send them to webmaster@dragonscove.com, it's the only email I have that is set up for large files. :)

------------------

Back