USMC Member Kills Carjacker in Self Defense in Montgomery, AL

krept

(forwarded to me)

Subject: USMC Member Kills Carjacker in Self Defense in
Montgomery, AL

On 19DEC02, the following information was obtained via phone conversation with AFOSI:

On 17DEC02 at 2140 hours, CST, James Carl L./SGT
USMC/xxx-xx-xxxx/xxxxxxx was at the drive thru at the McDonald's Restaurant near the entrance to Maxwell-Gunter Air Force Base. SGT L. was driving a Chevrolet Suburban. Thaddeus ANTONE/19 YOA approached SGT L. and attempted to commandeer his vehicle.

SGT L. opened the driver's side door in an effort to repel ANTONE. ANTONE fired one shot from his firearm striking SGT L.
in the face near his jawbone. SGT L. retrieved a .45 caliber handgun and proceeded to shoot 5 rounds, 4 of which are reported to have struck ANTONE center mass. It is believed the 5th shot missed only because ANTONE fell to the ground.

The Montgomery Police Department (MPD) responded as well as EMT's who transported SGT L. to the hospital where he is expected to make a full recovery. It was reported that when MPD officers arrived on the scene, SGT L. was able to dislodge and spit the bullet he had been shot with.

MPD investigators view the fatal shooting as a case of self defense and have not filed charges against SGT L.. The case will be forwarded to a grand jury for review.

PAO at Maxwell-Gunter AFB is Bruce F./CAPT USN/DSN#xx-xx-xxxx. AFOSI SA Marty S. is in contact with the MPD and will be
forwarding the final Police Report upon its completion. SA S. reports no AFOSI investigation will be conducted at this time as MPD is handling the case.

SGT L. is attached to the xxxnd Xxxxxxx Xxxxxxxxxxx Crew out of
Cherry Point, NC.

quote:
SGT L. was able to dislodge and spit the bullet he had been shot with.

damn, those jarheads are tough!

:D

It is believed the 5th shot missed only because ANTONE fell to the ground.

That was mighty inconsiderate of the guy to fall down! The good Sergeant was still 'talking' to him!

:D

BTW, I found the story online.

Last edited:
Same source--I found it here.

Antone must have missed the ubiquitous USMC seal that was more than likely in the back window of Sgt.L's Suburban.

Hey criminal masterminds: attention to detail goes a long way.

-Teuf

That is some presence of mind to be shot in the face and still retrieve a handgun and engage. Hoo-ah!

Fighting domestic terrorism one threat at a time.

After the fight, Sgt. L. remarked, "I should have stayed in Afghanistan!"

"I should of stayed in Afghanistan!"

And Mr. Antone should of stayed under his rock, in the dark.

Just another reason why I am armed 24/7....

I wonder if SGT L. was more pissed off at missing the 5th than getting hit in the first place....

This lines up with a story from WWII. A Combat Correspondent (Ernie Pyle?) was in a foxhole with two Marines when a spent round struck one of them in the mouth, knocking out two teeth. The Marine spit out the two teeth and the bullet, at which point his buddy, with a straight face, stated:
"If you had rolled with that, the way they taught us in basic, ya would'nt have lost those teeth!"

Good to go!
Glad he didn't get seriously injured, and that he dispatched the vermin the way he did.

Semper Fi,
Cowboy

Back