using only wheel weights?

wheel weights

trip sticker don`t wait too long because WW are gettin harder to get ahold of these days!!!

alot of the clip on WW have alloys already blended but not a given .

some stik on WW are close to pure lead but not a given.

alot of variables involved with WW , most people get by with bhn 11-14for most shootin but when ya want to wring every fps ya can then ya gotta blend some expensive alloys with your WWs to get there , then when ya get there the very hard cast bullet is useless to hunt with because it`ll fragment upon contact .
it`s a balance of pressure & alloy strength.

i cast mainly for revolvers & have "conditioned" my revolvers for optimum performance with such & can easily match jacketed speeds with out the dreaded smeared barrel using WW & a little tin .

if info on castin is what ya seek go to castboolitgunloads forum & glean info until your files are full !!!

I agree with ya that the old timers know a lot about bullet casting and such but I was asking because all the reviews I've read concerning the Lyman manual complain about it only covering loads using Lyman molds and only have a select few load data tables for certain powders. I'm the type that tends to read tons before I spend a dollar. I insist on getting the most for my money and I will research for months before investing in anything I want to last a long time.

There's so many different bullet molds that you'll never find specific info for particular bullets. What you have to do is interpolate what you find into a different but similar bullet. What that means is, for instance, a Lyman 200 SWC 45 acp bullet gives a certain powder charge. Use that for a lee 200 SWC, being sure you start at the recommended starting load and work up. As long as the two bullets are close to being the same, you'll be fine.

I do the same thing for the lee 200 RFN, round flat nose. Mainly because my SA 45 1911 doesn't like to feed SWC bullets. The lee works just fine.

trip sticker don`t wait too long because WW are gettin harder to get ahold of these days!!!

I didn't wait to gather lead and lead alloy. I have so much lead laying around now I could never shoot it all. I don't know how much an individual ingot of lead I made out of a muffin tin weighs but I have so many of those that I can't count them all. I have boxes and boxes of WW's now that I have found a tire shop that wasn't doing anything with them. What I am just learning is the casting process, I have the lead gathering process down to a fine art. :)

I've gone thru a learning curve for my .38/.357 bullets but I am wanting to cast for my 30-30 and my 45/70 GOV't. From what I've read, my 45/70 isn't a good rifle to cast for because it is the micro-groove not traditional land and grove barrel. So far, I own a mold for the .357 and for the .490 round ball. I'll add to this as I learn more.

Back