Using my C&R to improve another person's collection

Just tell your friend to get the forms, pop the thirty bucks for his own C&R license, and be done with it.
If for some reason he couldn't be cleared for the license, I wouldn't want to sell him a gun even if it were legal under your license.

Adirondack, Hardcase & others,

Thank you!
This type of question keeps me on my toes. I also enjoy this particular forum. I find members here to be a really good group of people with common interests.

Straw purchase = buying the gun to immediately transfer it to somebody else as you are just making the buy, and not intending to own the gun.

The Doc is out now. :cool:

PS, I love the way I learn something new everyday on this forum. :p

Dabull I think you've received more than enough good advice It's your license, and your future. To paraphrase the late Presidents widow Nancy Reagan " Just Say No"

Last edited:
"I told my friend I would only use my C&R to improve my collection. He didn't seem happy but I'm sticking with my gut and the spirit of the law. I'll mention the minor difference in transfer cost relative to C&R license fee. Strange he doesn't have one already considering what he likes to collect."

You mean that you won't violate Federal Firearms Statutes for him? Interstate Firearms Transfers and Sales laws, the Gun Control Act, etc. What kind of friend are you? Tell him that you will break the law for him, just as soon as he pops down to T.J. and picks up a package that may or may not contain an uncertain amount of Mexican Black Tar Heroin for you (and bring it back across the border, of course).

You can "gift" any firearm purchased with your 03ffl as part of your own collection also, providing the individual on the receiving end is not barred from owning and/or operating firearms in general.

Back