Using both eyes more accurate?

There is a shooter at the range that I shoot at

That goes to the extreem.
Whears glasses with a patch over one eye, the other has a cover thats a wheel within a wheel with several holes. You can select the size of hole you look through, He says that it improves depth preception.
All I know, is that it looks silly.
Give me both open any time.

I try to shoot with both eyes open whenever possible. It seems to work very well for up close work. But sometimes I revert to my 'ol hunting rifle days and catch that right eye locked up like popeye! ;)

So what do you all recommend with a right handed shooter that is left eye dominant? My girlfriend wants to learn to shoot and I would think that both eyes open she would need to use her left eye primarily for sight alignment. That would work for handgun, but what about rifle? There is no way she can get a good cheek weld and align her left eye with the sights if she shoots right handed.

I have heard a good compromise for the left eye dominant person who shoots right handed is to close the left eye and use the right. The other option is to learn to shoot left handed. She is a new shooter, but all of our dryfire practice thusfar has felt odd to her if she tries left handed.

Any ideas?

JM

Teach her to shoot left handed.....or...use a wide view reflex red dot sight (like the Eotech) that does not have parralax. That may allow her to shoot with both eyes open. It's not out of hand to even offset mount the red dot as long as you know the distances you will be shooting and you can adjust for the error. I've shot some red dots mounted at 10' o clock position in USPSA 3 gun and out to 100 yards or further.

The physiological reason is to prevent fatigue. For a box of 50 rounds you would probably not see a difference but it would become important in competition. What one eye does the other will follow not only in muscle movement but the response of the pupil. That is the main reason competition shooters learn to keep both eyes open. Sometimes this is disconcerting to some people and they use block fitted away from their glasses to prevent seeing from both eyes but they do not patch their eye.

You should always learn to shoot with your dominate eye.

Guess I was just lucky, my Dad taught me to shoot with both eyes open.
Works really well for me, it's as though you can see through your sights,(superimposed) and see the whole target as well.

right hand, left eye

When learning to shoot, which seems like an everchanging process, I was advised to shoot both eyes open. I'm right handed and near sighted, more so in my left than in my right so with glasses off, the right eye image is very clear. With glasses on, which is how I practice, I seem to recall being told that I was left eye dominant by the same fellow who passed me sage advice that day. I'm not really sure if I am since I didn't really understand how to shoot with both eyes at the time and just had to play with my vision and what I saw. I essentially train to shift dominance to my right eye when I get a sight picture with pistol. It gets more natural with time and on a good day yields very pleasing results.

Back