Using a Mosin for hunting

Yep.
I know we get members that post about us being "weenies" for not wanting to haul a 10 lb rifle in the mountains, but I've done it many times and don't care to continue the tradition.
If I have a choice between 7.5 lbs and 9.7 lbs for essentially the same performance, I'm taking the lighter rifle.

One of my brothers actually outright sold an M77 in .375 Ruger after carrying it for ONE day on an elk hunt. Too long. Too heavy. Too tiring. He went back to old reliable, his 7.5 lb Rem Sportsman 78, and has no regrets.

While I admire the Garand & had one for a while, I would only have hunted with one if it'd been the only gun I had.

Off the four Mosins I currently own, I have a sporterized version with 22-inch barrel, Boyds wood, an extended bolt handle, and a Leupold scope that I'd consider hauling through the hills, IF the Rugers & CZ were not available for some reason.

Possibly the un-altered hex, if I wanted to go Straight Ivan.
Or the Long Tomovich, a Tula in a Boyds stock with no other mods that's put three holes under an inch at 100 yards with iron sights.

The sniper would do well on game, a few ounces heavier with its scope.

But I don't like that safety, and I do like a loaded chamber.
Denis

Last edited:
My loaded M38, with a sling, weighs more than two pounds less than an empty Garand, and comes in 4 inches shorter.

Dudenal, ... you're assuming that a full-size M1 battle stick is the only M1 hunting option. Display not your ignorance, please. :rolleyes:

Plenty of M1 hunters kill deer every year with a handy 18" Tanker (r) or, handier still, a 16.1" Mini-G (l), as hand-crafted by Shuff.

Either can be easily taken afield with or without a forward-mounted Scout scope.

Live & learn, dudenals. :cool:

Dudenal, ... you're assuming that a I]full-size[/I] M1 battle stick is the only M1 hunting option. Display not your ignorance, please.

Plenty of M1 hunters kill deer every year with a handy 18" Tanker or, handier still, a 16.1" Mini-G, as hand-crafted by Shuff.
Yes... Because every comparison of basic mass-produced rifles now must include EVERY custom rifle built on that platform since the beginning of time, in order to be valid on the internet.

:rolleyes:

In no way does a $1,300+ custom Garand belong in a comparison with bone-stock, mass-produced Mosins, most of which were purchased for under $175.

In no way does a $1,300+ custom Garand belong in a comparison with bone-stock, mass-produced Mosins, most of which were purchased for under $175.

Dudenal, the basic M1 was about as "mass-produced" as it gets.

Are you suggesting that no Mosin owner spends $$$ to modify, or have his 'smith "custom" tailor, his rifle or carbine to his personal specifications? :rolleyes:

Guys do this all the time with all sorts of mil-surplus rifles, to include shortening the barrel, adding scope/optic mounts, trigger work, etc.

Love those Tanker Garands. I heard they were used in the jungle to good effect by tank crewman and half track drivers. Supposedly they were an impromptu field modification that was done on the spot by unit armorers. I'll admit, I couldn't think up a better hogsman's rifle if I tried.

One of our customers is a wwii vet. A tank commander in European theater. One thing he told is that they didn't care much about the long arms issued to them, the Tommy or the grease gun. They left those in the "rear deck" and never touched them. He never heard of the tanker m1 or the sort. They all had side arms in shoulder holsters. He personally liked a captured German p38. Didn't need to worry about ammunitions as there were plenty from the dead Germans.

-TL
Love those Tanker Garands. I heard they were used in the jungle to good effect by tank crewman and half track drivers. Supposedly they were an impromptu field modification that was done on the spot by unit armorers. I'll admit, I couldn't think up a better hogsman's rifle if I tried.

I'm pretty sure that those stories are bogus that was dreamed up by the guys making tankers to make people looking for truck guns buy their product. at least as far as the enfield tankers goes. the amount of work that goes into making a tanker seems like a huge hassle for field armorers.

I also call fowl on the guy toting the custom machined and way more expensive custom build garands. either compare them to a $1300 mosin nagant, or leave them in the back as a caveat to the conversation, not a reversal of a rule. most people here have been talking about bone stock models because those give a frame of reference.

Why is this turning into a M1 vs Mosin debate?
Cripes take what you want. They both will work.

Main reason to take out a Mosin.
Cheap way to get the job done. And if your drop it or scrape it on a bunch of rocks tromping around the thickets. Who cares??? It will still shoot.

Used to say the same thing about the old 303 Brits. Cant say that any more.
They are becoming more valuable. Wont take my nice 303 out to get scratched up.
Same with a nice Mosin.. If its nice keep it that way. Value is going up as we talk.

I have paid from $350 to $400 for M1 Garands.
I have paid from $5 for a Mosin receiver that is now a complete rifle with M59 barrel, mostly $55 for Mosins at BIG5, up to $90 for an M39.

But my prices are from 15 years ago.

My 2nd centerfire boltact rifle was a Mosin .. 36.00 at a area department store ... With milsurp FMJ it was accurate ... accurate enough for me to shoot several coyote's .. When I found some 204 gr SP ..I took it deer hunting some . But didnt take any .. It was a few years later a Mosin of mine would take several deer useing tbe 204gr SP , the Mosin was a carbine a model 38 .. I kept that carbine for several years after I already had several Marlin Leverguns and modern boltguns ...

some older folk - even two in my hunting club - still use a Mosin for hunting moose. Sporterized mosins at one point in time were just about the most common big caliber rifle in Finland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was because of all the "Free" rifles around to sporterize. I believe it was illegal at one time to own a gun in military caliber. That is where I got the idea to make a 8mmx54R rifle. According to the Finnish load book, there were thousands of these (And other calibers) converted rifles made.

Back