Using a dremel tool.

So a Dremel can screw things up; or more precisely, MISUSING a Dremel can screw things up. Because of this, we see disparagement of Dremel's throughout this thread....

Has anyone noticed the parallel this has to the gun control argument? "Guns can be misused, therefore guns are bad?"

A Dremel is a tool; learn to use it correctly, and study before you do anything critical with it. It's not the devil, and it won't eat your kids; it's a labor saving device which, used properly, allows you to do some things quicker and easier than you could without it.

Larry

I have seen few, if any, people who know how to properly use a Dremel.

All that speed might be good for routing wood, but it's terrible for working on metal.
I have 3 Dremels on my bench. 2 are cordless and are used at their lowest speed. The corded one is used with a rheostat foot pedal and very low speed.

I use the Dremel and a Foredom for stock work, inletting and prebedding work.
I dont care to polish up parts the dont require the speed to polish, but sometimes the buff wheel and Flitz will take some stoning and sanding marks from surfaces that need ed smoothed.

DT....Good point ! I use a Dremel all the time for different projects and they have lot of things they are good for. It's hard to teach common sense and that's mostly what a guy needs to keep himself out of troubles with his tools. A little advice is a good thing, within reason.

So a Dremel can screw things up; or more precisely, MISUSING a Dremel can screw things up. Because of this, we see disparagement of Dremel's throughout this thread....
Not disparagement, just do not buy one and use it on guns. Dentists use something similar every day.

Has anyone noticed the parallel this has to the gun control argument? "Guns can be misused, therefore guns are bad?"
Maybe in your mind...but to everyone else it is going to seem quite the stretch. No one has stated anything to the effect that you should not have the right to own and use a Dremel, just not use it on guns.

A Dremel is a tool; learn to use it correctly, and study before you do anything critical with it. It's not the devil, and it won't eat your kids; it's a labor saving device which, used properly, allows you to do some things quicker and easier than you could without it.
Just where is this school that teaches a Dremel owner how to use it? Or is he (the owner), going to "learn by doing" on the nearest gun, like the O.P. was asking about?

Thanks everyone for your input. It sounds overwhelmingly that using a Dremel to help clean, smooth a guns working parts is a bad idea. I think I'll pass on using mine for that purpose. Thanks again. :D

I've used my Dremmel on firearms, and it has proven very useful. Never a problem.
In fact, when I built an AK from a parts kit a few years ago, it was a lifesaver.

The best use of a Dremel on a gun is this - the white felt wheel, a little red jeweler's rouge, and the feed ramp - that's about it.

Rubberized is Cratex. There is a fiber one called MX.

Having a Dremel is a step up from not having a Dremel,as far as a resource.

It might be considered an entry level tool that serves well enough folks still get the job done with them 30 years later.

I don't even know what they cost these days...$59? A guess.

For the price of a box of ammo you are "tooled up to be a gunsmith" .Well,you need a claw hammer with one broke claw,your Honey's manicure tools,a nail for a drift punch ,some sandpaper,a kitchen table and a cell phone and you can post on youtube.Someday,maybe even a vise!!

I think the issue is that just like with shooting or playing a violin,buying the tool does not buy competence.

If the public could buy a Stradivarius (OK,I spelled it wrong) for $59 I'd buy better ear plugs.

If your STARTING POINT is "My new gun don't work.I don't know why. I'm getting my new Dremel out" Or,"Gee,I got my new gun AND I have a Dremel,I want to do something...."

You may be about to contribute to the Dremel Reputation.My long previous post did not condemn the Dremel. I have worn a few out. I know what they do.

I will maintain that a large percentage of the real estate we have to work on is that zone between the peaks and valleys of the existing surface finish.

I say that as someone who was trained by a Master Mold and Die finish professional. I built molds and I polished them. You watch the valleys. Remember,we don't want to appreciably change size or form. I actually would calculate and plan the allowance for EDM finish depth into my electrodes so when I polished the cavity,it would be right.
You have to know when to stop.
Very often,polishing out the deepest of machine marks will only give you a worn out rattly gun. I knock off the peaks.Use the deep cutter marks for lube and sand traps.
Soft polish media,buffs,felt,etc are not best for anything but a surface that has been accurately stoned to at least 600 grit.You maintain accurate,defined geometry with stones and laps.
And the secret to a good polish is a good tool finish.
Please remember the recent post by a woman who was competing in a steelmatch with a recently purchased used handgun.
Her life was changed when her handgun discharged in her holster.
No,that is not the Dremel's fault.It took a Dremel and a person grinding with the dremel on trigger parts.(It might have been a file!)

Somehow,to a previously non -tool guy,a Dremel brings forth his inner Hephaestus, from the forges under Olympus. It may be a primal force as great as reaching puberty. Something HAS to happen.

I get it. Guns may not be the place to start.

Last edited:
I used Dremels for years but not on guns, just modeling. Take a look at the much cheaper but I think better, Black & Decker rotary tool. Foolproof bit changing system, variable speed and rugged.

Sorry guys...but I think I'll keep using my evil Dremels, and take my chances. Hopefully I'll survive the experiences using such a dreaded tool, but things like fitting and shaping grips, working on knives, shortening screws and lots of other small things just seem to be a logical place to use some minor power tools.
I saw an ad for some 1911 manufacturer a while back....maybe Ed Brown? The guy was using a dremel to do some shaping on the rear of the frame. I guess that's a good reason to never buy their products if they won't do that sort of thing with files and sandpaper.
IMO this whole Dremel thing is blown out of proportion !!

Back